Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 08:14 PM

661 posts, read 521,642 times

Advertisements

This must be a very tough one to handle--I'll give it my best shot.

I really suffered emotionally in the past 5 years and the misery won't go away. Since I ever found out the world was supposed to end on 12/21/2012 I was scared of death, and ever since I always felt anxious or sad about going to Heaven when I die.

Clearly not to the point of terror--sure I'd rather be in Heaven than Hell--but why did God have to make Heaven so perfect and non-physical? Does he absolutely hate physical things? I ask because my sentiment stemmed from 99% of Christians telling me there will be no sex in heaven, no food or drink, or anything "fun" really. I turned away from Christianity for years because I can not ever find a compelling case for anything. It was like I was hated, like nobody cared for me. Of course, I also developed a daily habit of cursing at God for few seconds a day.

As for the sex thing, I never got any. And I have a girlfriend, but I don't desire her at all. I'm just not into her. I always thought I could have the literal girl of my dreams in Heaven.

I'm still turned off or repulsed by mainstream Christian thinking though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 08:19 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
If you're not playing us, it seems to me you have more going on than a message board - however teeming with knowledgeable, wise posters of various persuasions - can, or should try to deal with.

Good luck, though, whichever way you're bent.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:26 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post

I really suffered emotionally in the past 5 years and the misery won't go away. Since I ever found out the world was supposed to end on 12/21/2012 I was scared of death, and ever since I always felt anxious or sad about going to Heaven when I die.

Clearly not to the point of terror--sure I'd rather be in Heaven than Hell--but why did God have to make Heaven so perfect and non-physical? Does he absolutely hate physical things? I ask because my sentiment stemmed from 99% of Christians telling me there will be no sex in heaven, no food or drink, or anything "fun" really. I turned away from Christianity for years because I can not ever find a compelling case for anything. It was like I was hated, like nobody cared for me. Of course, I also developed a daily habit of cursing at God for few seconds a day.

As for the sex thing, I never got any. And I have a girlfriend, but I don't desire her at all. I'm just not into her. I always thought I could have the literal girl of my dreams in Heaven.

I'm going to be the first one to throw something out on this topic because I have spent literally months of hours studying everything from Swedenborg to the spiritual mystics of the 1900's on this.

First of all, millions of Christians go into ecstasies over the idea of bowing and worshipping and singing hymns and praises to God every waking moment of eternity. I don't know how they do it, getting off on this silly idea I mean, but they do, which shows the human mind can adapt to just about anything.

But millions of people, I've read give the idea one big yawn, and say, "Really? Is THAT all we're going to be doing for eternity? Giving God one big ego stroke? I'd rather just go unconscious for eternity than die from boredom.

Many near-death experiencers say that the next life is just as physical as this one, just in a different way, but we will have a different kind of physical body, have homes next to rivers, mountains, there will be large cities with beautiful buildings of the finest architecture, learning centers, activities and yes, a mate hand-picked by God for each of us. Don't listen to the nay-sayers. They're the kind of people who get off just raining on everybody else's parade. Read a few books online on the topic of life in the afterlife and get your eyes open to the possibilities.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:37 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
All of us have to determine whether our anxieties are based on real dangers or imaginary ones.

Old 11-10-2015, 03:00 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
Heaven will be better having any old sex , Heaven will be bliss ........ See the devil and demons which make life in the earth hard bring hatred and sad and pain and selfishness and even anxious like your OP will not be in heaven , which will be a total comfortable place to be ..... But you need to seek out God and sign yourself in to heaven and many will go there and many will turn their back and not be their , you need the spirit of God through Jesus on your life , as He will protect your soul and spirit after you pass from this world ......

Old 11-10-2015, 05:12 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,863,190 times
It represents the "next life" spiritually after you are born again. It's a psychological state. People imagine that it occurs after they physically die, but really physical death (of the flesh) is just a symbol of your old self dying. They know inside that there is a better life ahead after they die, but they don't realize that dying just means "giving up" the things that they falsely believe are bringing them happiness now. Such as money and security, like a child being taken care of by his parents. But true happiness is found in taking hold of life as an unknown adventure. Hell represents those dark moments of spiritual death, before the rebirth, which is really just the old self being burned away forever.

What must happen before anyone can be "born again"? (He must first die.)

Old 11-10-2015, 05:53 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,977 times
What have you done for yourself since the world has not ended? Do you have a therapist? If not, seek a secular
therapist.

What are your interests?
How old are you?
Where is your family?
Are you taking any medication or using drugs?

Old 11-10-2015, 06:16 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,926,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post

It would probably be better if what heaven will be like is not over-thought too much, or given much definition when there really is none clearly provided. If we view heaven with just our physical preferences, we will only be disappointed. Yet, heaven cannot be entirely spiritual since the resurrected Jesus does have a physical body--at least that much is revealed in God's word; and he used it for things such as eating for example.

I personally view happiness in heaven as a matter of trusting God's word, knowing that all good things come only from him. And I also considered with worry if there might not be things there that I enjoy doing here such as hiking and reading history books and doing research; yet, I am convinced that fellowship with him will far exceed any sort happiness that can be derived from these other hobbies. Also, those things cannot provide me lasting satisfaction, as the only thing that can do that and never fade and tarnish, is to be in perfect communion with God forever. Also, there's nothing in the Bible that says enjoyment of these kinds of things will be excluded in heaven; sinful carnality will be excluded but God provides for the physical well-being as well as the spiritual and it is clearly depicted in the Bible that the resurrected state is comprised of both these things.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:21 AM

369 posts, read 374,672 times
First of all, I'm not even sure if Heaven is the final destination for the redeemed. From my understanding, the Kingdom will be on Earth. It seems there will be some semblance of "physicality" due to the idea of the tree of life with fruits (if I'm not mistaken).

Secondly, as for the whole sex thing, well... that may be a "desire" on this Earth as it is in order to get people to procreate (since on this Earth people tend to not live forever, obviously). But in the age when immortality is a reality (that rhymes too), the drive will probably be unnecessary, hence the desire may not even be there like that. Who knows?

Old 11-10-2015, 10:15 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Heaven will be better having any old sex , Heaven will be bliss ........ See the devil and demons which make life in the earth hard bring hatred and sad and pain and selfishness and even anxious like your OP will not be in heaven , which will be a total comfortable place to be ..... But you need to seek out God and sign yourself in to heaven and many will go there and many will turn their back and not be their , you need the spirit of God through Jesus on your life , as He will protect your soul and spirit after you pass from this world ......
No offense hl, but I'm going to use your post an example of a typical fundamentalist's attitude. Notice what Hljc said:

Quote:
Heaven will be better having any old sex
Moderator cut: deleted
Sex, even for faithful partners who never cheat inevitably gets old. The thrill goes away; the excitement, the anticipation of "getting it on" with your spouse fills with cobwebs. Sad, really, but that is what this life is all about; it's the human condition.

But do you think God designed sex just to be just a way to procreate the human race. More importantly, do you really think the love that can be expressed with your spouse through sex has to die with your physical body? What a waste.

I firmly believe, based on credible NDE's I've read, that a form of sexual expression does go on in the afterlife and I think that's a wonderful idea.

This idea of women getting all giddy at the thought of Jesus being their husband is a latent sexual lust for Jesus whether they want to admit it or not, so handsome have the pictures of him been drawn to make him appealing to Christians. Look at this Jesus, which circulates throughout the world. I mean the guy is so pretty yet rugged I could fall in love with him myself and I'm strictly heterosexual!

http://cdn.thedailybeast.com/content...809.cached.jpg

Paul is the one who started this silly notion of us becoming a bride to Jesus, though he didn't mean to. He was using the metaphor of a bride and groom to preach how Christians should keep themselves pure from sexual sin. That's all. Just stay pure the way a bride keeps herself pure for her groom.

A college girl describes how her roommate was picking flowers off a daisy one day and saying "He loves me, he loves me not". At the last pedal it was "HE LOVES ME! Jesus is my boyfriend and he loves me!"

Quote:
It was not uncommon at my conservative Christian college to overhear girls say that Jesus was their "boyfriend" until God brought the right man along. I once had a girl tell me she could not hang out on a Friday night because she had a "date" with God. In our churches, many of our praise and worship songs border on the "love song" language, leading many girls to equate those warm and fuzzy feelings that come with attraction with Jesus. This is a dangerous place to be. Not only is it an incomplete picture of who our Christ is, it also sends the message that the girls (and women) who are truly devoted to Jesus equate contentment in him with a romantic relationship with him.
Why Jesus Isn't Your Boyfriend: A Critique of Dating God | Her.meneutics | Christianitytoday.com

I think even Jesus' stomach would turn at this thought.

Last edited by june 7th; 11-10-2015 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: Completely inappropriate to comment or speculate on another's sex life!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity