Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 06:11 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkins View Post
What's wrong for such a God to create an eternity where the angels and humans will live with Him forever?
there is no need for that. We are in the universe now and will be until it ends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 12:07 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,579,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Well it would appear that no one is bowing to your superior reasoning process because the thread has continued quite as if you had said exactly nothing.

Who says praise is a manifestation of love, much less the "highest possible" manifestation? Citations required, and not self-referential Biblical ones, either.

Praise can be sincere or insincere, it is simply acclaiming someone or something as a boon. It CAN reflect adoration, but doesn't have to.

And none of this gets at the real question of the OP: why in most interpretations of god, does god want / need / demand praise? If god is self-sufficient and non-dependent, he should be completely indifferent to praise. Maybe because he loves us he wants us to do it because it's good for us in some way, but even there, it seems that praise should be an organic response to our interactions with god, not some exercise like deep knee bends.

At the end of the day I have to extrapolate from the known. My wife and I love each other, but don't expect praise from each other in any big way. Sure, now and then I say I'm proud to be associated with her and affirm her qualities that I appreciate, but if I were always in an ecstasy of bliss and carrying on about it, that would add exactly zero to it and in fact would subtract quite a bit of credibility. My wife wants me to be grounded in reality about her, not projecting on her attributes that she cannot live up to and that, in any event, should speak for themselves.

I was just kidding and joking when I said that I was going to shut this thread down and answer all questions about GOD need for Praise.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:48 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,042,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
That is some wild bowel of word salad there hljc. Can you dig up the citation to that science machine?

Haven't found the scientific one, but apparently someone else heard about it and decided to experiment. And again, let everything that hath breath, praise the Lord. Peace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP6JGlv32nw

Old 05-11-2016, 10:23 AM

5,029 posts, read 7,409,636 times
Praising God is not a duty and is not demanded of anyone. You should praise God if you can't help yourself, if it comes naturally. If you recognize God as the source of all blessing, then praising this Source would be totally natural. It is related to giving thanks-- I have known many an unbeliever to say "Thank God!" that something did or did not happen. It is a natural human response.

Maybe you praise a child or a friend for a special achievement, it is a normal thing to do and it usually makes both the giver and recipient feel good. They didn't demand it from you, it is your response to something they did.

Maybe you praise God for waking up and being alive today. Because you're not dead yet. Or for whatever ordinary thing that you realize is extraordinary. It makes you feel good, it is uplifting-- from the Latin "sursum corda" -- "Lift up your hearts", the response is "We lift them up to the Lord", it is better than being down in the dumps. If you have heard a gospel choir singing loud praise, or the Hallelujah Chorus, it is a universal thing to do and everyone recognizes it, it is contagious, it can even make some non-believers smile a little. Better than medicating yourself.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:26 PM

19,994 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
I was just kidding and joking when I said that I was going to shut this thread down and answer all questions about GOD need for Praise.
Sorry, I can take things too literally sometimes :-)

Old 05-15-2016, 12:26 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,875,685 times
God doesn't NEED anything from we knuckleheads and ridiculous , odd humans ,but He DESIRES praise for His creation and seeks return love that He has for us. Why He even cares is almost beyond me as we area carnival of stupids! He probably should disintergrate earth (poof not worth the trouble), but wants us to know Him and join Him for eternity.

Old 05-15-2016, 01:07 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,042,639 times
Amen. If we're not proof there is a G-d of love, I don't know what is, because by rights He should have wiped us all out eons ago. Peace

Old 05-17-2016, 05:02 AM

97 posts, read 55,675 times
Therein your comment if god were a tyrannical egotistical human being. Which he is not. Rev 4:11 You are worthy Jehovah our God to receive the glory and the honour and the power because you created all things and because of your will they came into existence and were created. Far from being egotistical and demanding God created life in a variety and ways that we enjoy. Take food apples there are 7,500 varieties of them. They come in different colors and taste from sour to sweet. What about our 5 senses. Can you do.with anyone of them Smell taste sight etc. Imagine the last time you saw a sunset or rise. Our bodies Psalm 139:14 I praise you because in an awe inspiring way I am wonderfully way.15-16 On the other side of the coin Prove yourselves sons of your Father who is in the heavens since he makes his sun rise on both the wicked and the good and makes it rain on both the righteous and the unrighteous. Matthew 5:45 God does not need our worship. We need him so appreciation of his goodness and benevolence is what can cause us to think and meditate in what ways. He gave us his Son to die for us when we werent even born. Our lives from.when we are born is a one way ticket to death. We were all under condemnation of sin and death from Adam. Romans 5:12 6:23 the ransom was paid. John 3:16 Only that ransom helps us think positively of the future with Gods help. We can build a relationship with the Sovereign Creator of the Universe who is never far away from us if we choose. A tyrant doesnt give people free will and choice to serve him A loving God does. 1 John 5:3 Kind regards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity