Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Jesus the only path to God?
No! 24 30.77%
Yes, but... 7 8.97%
Yes, period! 47 60.26%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 09:51 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,663 times

Advertisements

Gods Word could not be much more clear on this matter. People will disagree however, because they want to justify their own beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 09:52 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Let's examine that passage:

John 10

7 So Jesus said to them again, “Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. 8 All who came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them. 9 I am the door; if anyone enters through Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture. 10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.

11 “I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep. 12 He who is a hired hand, and not a shepherd, who is not the owner of the sheep, sees the wolf coming, and leaves the sheep and flees, and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. 13 He flees because he is a hired hand and is not concerned about the sheep. 14 I am the good shepherd, and I know My own and My own know Me, 15 even as the Father knows Me and I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep. 16 I have other sheep, which are not of this fold; I must bring them also, and they will hear My voice; and they will become one flock with one shepherd. 17 For this reason the Father loves Me, because I lay down My life so that I may take it again. 18 No one has taken it away from Me, but I lay it down on My own initiative. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This commandment I received from My Father.”

It appears that the others (whoever that is) will hear Jesus' voice and become one with Him. To make that fit other religions (or lack thereof), you would have to assume that this episode will happen after physical death or at the end of this age. On the other hand, if we assume Jesus was talking about the Gentiles (non-Jews), we see that has already happened. The latter theory is made more plausible when we also take into account that Jesus called Paul to take His message to the Gentiles.
No, Peter was called by G-d to take the message to the Gentiles...Don't you people ever read and learn?...

Old 04-26-2016, 09:55 AM

6,366 posts, read 2,917,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Let's examine that passage:

John 10

7 So Jesus said to them again, “Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. 8 All who came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them. 9 I am the door; if anyone enters through Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture. 10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.

11 “I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep. 12 He who is a hired hand, and not a shepherd, who is not the owner of the sheep, sees the wolf coming, and leaves the sheep and flees, and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. 13 He flees because he is a hired hand and is not concerned about the sheep. 14 I am the good shepherd, and I know My own and My own know Me, 15 even as the Father knows Me and I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep. 16 I have other sheep, which are not of this fold; I must bring them also, and they will hear My voice; and they will become one flock with one shepherd. 17 For this reason the Father loves Me, because I lay down My life so that I may take it again. 18 No one has taken it away from Me, but I lay it down on My own initiative. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This commandment I received from My Father.”

It appears that the others (whoever that is) will hear Jesus' voice and become one with Him. To make that fit other religions (or lack thereof), you would have to assume that this episode will happen after physical death or at the end of this age. On the other hand, if we assume Jesus was talking about the Gentiles (non-Jews), we see that has already happened. The latter theory is made more plausible when we also take into account that Jesus called Paul to take His message to the Gentiles.

The fold Jesus mentioned = the little flock( Luke 12:32)-- these are the bride of Christ, the anointed--144,000 literally are bought from the earth.( Rev 3:12) The great multitude makes up the rest of the flock, but have received this promise from Jesus= Matt 5:5-- Blessed are the meek for they will inherit the earth.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
The fold Jesus mentioned = the little flock( Luke 12:32)-- these are the bride of Christ, the anointed--144,000 literally are bought from the earth.( Rev 3:12) The great multitude makes up the rest of the flock, but have received this promise from Jesus= Matt 5:5-- Blessed are the meek for they will inherit the earth.
Uh...No...

Old 04-26-2016, 10:00 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I believe that he was speaking of the Gentiles...
You're correct. In context, it's clear that he was saying that. We really just need to read it in context -- and not try to put our own ideas into it.

Old 04-26-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You're correct. In context, it's clear that he was saying that. We really just need to read it in context -- and not try to put our own ideas into it.
Yea...I agree...Hence the parable of the olive trees...

Old 04-26-2016, 10:38 AM

4,217 posts, read 2,785,454 times
Jesus said there would come a time when the son of man is revealed. He spoke of Himself as the son of man. The son of man is the servant and prophet of God. It is by serving the Lord in spirit and truth as the son of man and child of God that sins are forgiven and the way into the kingdom of God is given.

No one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born from above and do the will of my heavenly Father.

I am the gate, anyone who enters by me will be saved.

Old 04-26-2016, 10:50 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Yes. He said he is.

He is the ONLY way. Stating otherwise would be calling him a liar.
MEN wrote that is what he said. MEN who were NOT eye-witness nor present with Christ.

Old 04-26-2016, 10:57 AM

20,440 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
MEN wrote that is what he said. MEN who were NOT eye-witness nor present with Christ.
Then why did you quote Him?

Old 04-26-2016, 11:02 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Of course John was an eyewitness. Why would you think otherwise? Besides that, the Gospel of John is inspired text. I have no reason to doubt that Jesus made the statement.

I get it that you simply would prefer to claim he never said it. I understand that. It's just easier that way. But you just stating that doesn't make it true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity