Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Jesus the only path to God?
No! 24 30.77%
Yes, but... 7 8.97%
Yes, period! 47 60.26%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 09:24 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
Just the opposite.

I understand.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 11:30 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Is Jesus the only path to God?

When ready the results of the poll, you might find yourself alienated.
Or, in strange company. But who am I to say whether that is good or bad?

Old 05-16-2016, 01:19 AM

595 posts, read 331,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
Jesus taught--a single path. the narrow gate that Few will find.
Jesus taught no such thing.

Someone asked Jesus a question just like this, "Teacher what good deed must I do, to have eternal life?"

If ever Jesus was going to teach a single path and narrow gate then that would have been the time. But that was not His answer at all. His response was to keep asking things until the man turned away disappointed. Why? Because there was something wrong with the question in the first place. There is no good deed you can do to have eternal life. The man wanted to know what was enough. He wanted a ticket. But there is no enough and there is no ticket. That is why even the disciples were disappointed by Jesus answer to the man and they asked, "who then can be saved?"

Jesus answer was, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." And right there you see Jesus teaching salvation by the grace of God ALONE!

It is men who want to use religion as a tool of power who pile on their own legalisms and conditions because that is how you twist all this into a tool for controlling people as the JWs have done. When that is your agenda then it is inevitable that your image of God also alters to share your own obsession with power and control. Thus the God of love taught by Jesus and the disciples is transformed into this dictator demanding obedience OR ELSE! But if God was really like that then why would He create life and free will in the first place. It makes no sense.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:57 AM

23,154 posts, read 10,449,759 times
There are 3 gates, 3 entrances, 3 veils.

Very few will make it through the narrow way, and this is to get past an entrance with no door.

The broad way is standing in the court, and then you must become one of God's people to get past the sign to enter into the Holy place.

The way
The truth
The life

The court
The Holy place
The Holy of Holies.

3 kinds of people, and although God has millions of children, very few become high priest considered Levites who can enter into the Holy of Holies.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:27 AM

1,419 posts, read 1,048,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellmckain View Post

Someone asked Jesus a question just like this, "Teacher what good deed must I do, to have eternal life?"

If ever Jesus was going to teach a single path and narrow gate then that would have been the time. But that was not His answer at all. His response was to keep asking things until the man turned away disappointed. Why? Because there was something wrong with the question in the first place. There is no good deed you can do to have eternal life. The man wanted to know what was enough. He wanted a ticket. But there is no enough and there is no ticket. That is why even the disciples were disappointed by Jesus answer to the man and they asked, "who then can be saved?"

Jesus answer was, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." And right there you see Jesus teaching salvation by the grace of God ALONE!
Amen, the point is not our works. Those have to subside to make place for the grace of God through faith in Jesus Christ. All our own righteousness are as filthy rags, and only Jesus Christ can cover us with His Own Righteousness when we come to Him in faith, with a repentent heart and empty hands so He can fill us with His Spirit.

Luke 18v9/14 And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess. And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

Old 05-16-2016, 05:53 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,044,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
There are 3 gates, 3 entrances, 3 veils.

Very few will make it through the narrow way, and this is to get past an entrance with no door.

The broad way is standing in the court, and then you must become one of God's people to get past the sign to enter into the Holy place.

The way
The truth
The life

The court
The Holy place
The Holy of Holies.

3 kinds of people, and although God has millions of children, very few become high priest considered Levites who can enter into the Holy of Holies.

AMEN, but unfortunately, who can hear when the pattern has been cast off? Only a remnant. Peace

Old 05-16-2016, 01:33 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,918,190 times
Quote:

It is men who want to use religion as a tool of power who pile on their own legalisms and conditions because that is how you twist all this into a tool for controlling people as the JWs have done. When that is your agenda then it is inevitable that your image of God also alters to share your own obsession with power and control. Thus the God of love taught by Jesus and the disciples is transformed into this dictator demanding obedience OR ELSE! But if God was really like that then why would He create life and free will in the first place. It makes no sense.

Jesus words at Matthew 7:14

A rich man asked Jesus what it took to enter Gods kingdom, he said I keep all of the commandments-- Jesus said--sell all you have and give it to your poor brothers.( sounds like doing a good deed to me)
The rich man could not do it---Jesus was showing the kind of love it takes. The kind of love that is the new covenant.

It is God who demands that kind of obedience. This kind--Matthew 16:24--one must disown themselves to follow Jesus.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:03 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,493,260 times
Quote:

And a closer look at the question reveals the emphasis of the questioner: what good deed must I do
and the answer reflects such emphasis that doesn't included Jesus.

And despite the self analysis of the questioner and all of his achievements and command keeping awards ... it - was - not - enough !

And so it will be for those who view Jesus as an example to follow rather than a 100% substitute by faith.

Old 05-17-2016, 03:10 AM

97 posts, read 55,698 times
John 14:6 Jesus said to him "I am the way the truth and the life" No one comes to the Father except through me. If you men had known me you would have known my Father also from this moment on you know him and have seen him. Just like the saying the apple never falls far from the tree a son can reflect his father in the way he acts and his demeanor and personality. That's why John 3:16 God loved the world so much he gave his only begotten Son. 17:3 This means everlasting life their coming to know you the only true God and the one whom you sent Jesus Christ. Regards jw.org

Old 05-18-2016, 12:14 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,149,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrin57 View Post
John 14:6 Jesus said to him "I am the way the truth and the life" No one comes to the Father except through me. If you men had known me you would have known my Father also from this moment on you know him and have seen him. Just like the saying the apple never falls far from the tree a son can reflect his father in the way he acts and his demeanor and personality. That's why John 3:16 God loved the world so much he gave his only begotten Son. 17:3 This means everlasting life their coming to know you the only true God and the one whom you sent Jesus Christ. Regards jw.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity