Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 11:09 AM

7,570 posts, read 6,028,503 times

Advertisements

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-during-hymns/

I would have expected this sort of thing in the church where I was a kid. I am sad to see that the Baptists are not evolving towards something better.

So let me get this straight.....the shooting might have been legal under the law....

I can only speculate what started this.....One guy says "The Bible says this" and the other guy says
"OH No it says this" and back and forth, next thing you know, one guy goes and gets his pistol, walks into church and shoots the other guy....

AND this MAY be legal
Church Member Hasn't Been Charged After Deadly Shooting of Another Member at Sunday Service - ABC News

It is legal to walk into a church and kill someone after an argument

Makes me glad I do not go to church
Then again, I am not so insecure that I feel the need to kill anyone who might hold a different opinion than I do.

Oh and the article points out that Baptists have the highest number of shootings. Don't Baptist have the highest number of NRA members and GOP members, as well as the closest ties to the KKK as well ?

And in the 21st century, people are still messed up enough to want to be part of a Baptist church, where the Love of God is so contagious that members will gladly kill each other over an argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 12:32 PM

12,688 posts, read 6,688,059 times
Baptists and I argue a lot about doctrine, but they're generally very good people. I'm withholding judgement until we know more information about what happened.

"So let me get this straight.....the shooting might have been legal under the law...." If you pull a gun or otherwise threaten my life and I shoot and kill you for it, that's what we call self defense. It's perfectly legal. Is that what happened in this case? Again, we don't know enough details yet.

"Makes me glad I do not go to church." Okay you might want to add not walking down the street, not staying at home, not going to school, not going shopping, not going to a movie ... pretty much not doing anything to the list. In every case, somebody somewhere got shot doing it. In fact, I can't remember the last time there was a shooting at a church service -- so that might actually be one of the safest things you could be doing.

Old 04-27-2016, 12:40 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,866,874 times
This is seriously uncool but I doubt it's limited to Baptists. My husband's family is heavily weighted Baptist from what I understand (nobody gets holy roller about it or anything like that, it's not a big topic of discussion) and certainly none of them would act in this way.

So like godofthunder above, I'm withholding judgment for the moment.

It's a sad situation, though.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:33 PM

7,570 posts, read 6,028,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
If you pull a gun or otherwise threaten my life and I shoot and kill you for it, that's what we call self defense. It's perfectly legal. Is that what happened in this case? Again, we don't know enough details yet.
So what kinds of people act like this at church.?
Oh yes. Ones I knew when I was younger

"HMMMMM Sunday morning. Better take my gun to xchurch....may have to fight someone"
"Makes me glad I do not go to church." Okay you might want to add not walking down the street, not staying at home, not going to school, not going shopping, not going to a movie ... pretty much not doing anything to the list. In every case, somebody somewhere got shot doing it. In fact, I can't remember the last time there was a shooting at a church service -- so that might actually be one of the safest things you could be doing.[/quote]
Well I am not so sure
Anymore

But. I only go when it is an aresthetic event .....which would preclude me from ever being at a baptist church anyway

Old 04-27-2016, 01:45 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,095,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Oh yes. Ones I knew when I was younger

"HMMMMM Sunday morning. Better take my gun to xchurch....may have to fight someone"
"Makes me glad I do not go to church." Okay you might want to add not walking down the street, not staying at home, not going to school, not going shopping, not going to a movie ... pretty much not doing anything to the list. In every case, somebody somewhere got shot doing it. In fact, I can't remember the last time there was a shooting at a church service -- so that might actually be one of the safest things you could be doing.
Well I am not so sure
Anymore
Go back and read the letters from Paul to Corinth. That church was messed up. There were some decidedly bad things going on -- including division, sex scandals, etc. It was happening 2000 years ago, and it still happens today.

That's what happens when you involve people. Whether they're in a nightclub, or a church, sometimes people have personal issues with each other and they do stupid stuff.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:52 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,020,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Whether they're in a nightclub, or a church, sometimes people have personal issues with each other and they do stupid stuff.
Deciding to carry a gun into a church then deciding to murder someone goes beyond "stupid stuff".

Old 04-27-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Oh yes. Ones I knew when I was younger.

Never seen anything like that in my experience.

Quote:
Well I am not so sure
Anymore

But. I only go when it is an aresthetic event .....which would preclude me from ever being at a baptist church anyway
We really have no clue what happened. Were they both members of the congregation? Was one of them not and trying to rob the church?

End of the day, being Baptist, Catholic, Mormon, Seventh-Day Adventist, Muslim, Buddhist, Jehovah's Witness, Methodist, Eastern Orthodox -- none of these things preclude you from being a bad person. None of them actually make you a bad person either.

I believe it was St Augustine who said that the purpose for true religion is, "To make bad men good and good men better." In my experience, the Baptist faith absolutely does do that. But no religion is a cure-all. A person raised in a good Christian home is considerably less likely to do bad things, but that doesn't mean they won't decide to do something horrible someday. It's just less likely.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:45 PM

45,314 posts, read 26,829,168 times
Hopefully we are adult enough to NOT indict everyone who refers to themselves as Baptists because of one person's stupidity.

Old 04-27-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Hopefully we are adult enough to NOT indict everyone who refers to themselves as Baptists because of one person's stupidity.
Can't rep you again but well said.

Old 04-27-2016, 04:16 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,095,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Deciding to carry a gun into a church then deciding to murder someone goes beyond "stupid stuff".
Your possible misrepresentation of the facts aside, the point is, that people do bad things. Sometimes those people do go to church. There is nothing about entering a church that makes one incapable of idiocy or violent intents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity