Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 12:18 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Well let's see, if I'd followed my husband's lead my kids would have grown up in a house with illegal drugs, a father who couldn't hold down a job and refused to treat his depression, seeing their mother doing literally everything because he provided no help, and all of that would have been a terrible example to set for them.

Pretty sure I made the right call with divorce.
I was married to the same guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 12:22 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanokh View Post
Isn't this the Christianity forum? Doesn't the Bible teach women to be submissive to their husbands? Doesn't the Bible teach that it's sin to divorce apart from adultery? Does the Bible have any authority anymore, or do we just make up what we feel is right, and mock others for holding fast to Gods Word on the matter?
It is the Christianity forum, but unless you accept the fact that many Christians do not hold the Bible to be the same thing as and equal to God, you are going to find yourself repeating these same lame, tired, old phrases over and over again.

Paul was not God. God did not dictate to Paul when he sat down to write a letter. Paul wrote things for certain reasons in a certain time and place. Other men later took those letters and included them in a collection of writings we now call the Bible. It is not to be worshiped or considered divine. That is idolatry. It's a collection of writings meant to be discussed and questioned by people who seek a deeper understanding God. It is not the only way to understand God. It is not God's "voice".

Old 05-01-2016, 01:38 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Isn't this the Christianity forum? Doesn't the Bible teach women to be submissive to their husbands? Doesn't the Bible teach that it's sin to divorce apart from adultery? Does the Bible have any authority anymore, or do we just make up what we feel is right, and mock others for holding fast to Gods Word on the matter?
The bible is a mythological book written by patriarchal MEN hell bent on maintaining MALE supremacy.

This I KNOW because JESUS TOLD ME SO..

Old 05-01-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I was married to the same guy.

Old 05-01-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Nah that is not why I traveled here, my concern is about what Gods Word teaches and what I read were just some superficial responses against Kirk Cameron. And you know what, it is not to oppress women because they would be inferior or its a nice dominant feeling for a man to have. Its actually what brings the most happy marriage and life for both a man and a woman if they live after Gods will and Word, for a man that brings huge responsibilities aswell, loving his wife and taking good care of her and his family, providing food and shelter etc. And alot of men come short on their responsibility, but if both keep to their own role which God has ordered and take responsibility for it that is truly a happy life which honors God and brings joy both to yourself and others I am sure.
What God's word TEACHES and what evangelicals interpret it as saying are TWO COMPLETELY different concepts..

Old 05-01-2016, 01:48 PM

1,419 posts, read 1,047,480 times
Quote:
It is the Christianity forum, but unless you accept the fact that many Christians do not hold the Bible to be the same thing as and equal to God, you are going to find yourself repeating these same lame, tired, old phrases over and over again.

Paul was not God. God did not dictate to Paul when he sat down to write a letter. Paul wrote things for certain reasons in a certain time and place. Other men later took those letters and included them in a collection of writings we now call the Bible. It is not to be worshiped or considered divine. That is idolatry. It's a collection of writings meant to be discussed and questioned by people who seek a deeper understanding God. It is not the only way to understand God. It is not God's "voice".

1 Thessalonians 2:13 For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Jeremiah 23:29 Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces?

Timothy 3:15-17 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Where are the verses about a collection of writings to be discussed and questioned to seek a deeper understanding? I do know Scriptures about those corrupting the Word to suit their own desires.

2 Corinthians 2:17 For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ.

Romans 16:18 Now I urge you, brethren, keep your eye on those who cause dissensions and hindrances contrary to the teaching which you learned, and turn away from them. For such men are slaves, not of our Lord Christ but of their own appetites; and by their smooth and flattering speech they deceive the hearts of the unsuspecting

In other words you are plainly a liar contradicting the Word of God which says it is inspired by God and the very Words of God Himself, with your own theory that it is not God's voice, now that is idolatry.

Old 05-01-2016, 01:48 PM

15,849 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
The bible is a mythological book written by patriarchal MEN hell bent on maintaining MALE supremacy.

This I KNOW because JESUS TOLD ME SO..
Weird! Jesus told me never to listen to any one that tried to convince me that he would ever harm me. It's funny how the bible is so often used to shame a person for being human. I think Jesus was onto something when he talked to you. I wonder why some are told they must listen to men to be saved?

Cameron would fit right in with the crowd I was raised in.

Old 05-01-2016, 02:03 PM

15,849 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Quote:

great post. Being raised in an extremist group, I did not understand that there were other ways to be Christian. A person that was anything other than an extremist was lukewarm (Rev 3:16) I suspect other extremists people see reasonable people as weak as well. For along time I thought the JWs were outstanding Christians and other faiths were just watered down. I thought there was only one way to see the world. Either I agreed with them or I was somehow defective and so was everyone else.

Old 05-01-2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Weird! Jesus told me never to listen to any one that tried to convince me that he would ever harm me. It's funny how the bible is so often used to shame a person for being human. I think Jesus was onto something when he talked to you. I wonder why some are told they must listen to men to be saved?

Cameron would fit right in with the crowd I was raised in.

I really believe the difference is ACTUALLY LISTENING and not just regurgitating what others who have claimed personal power have said ..

Old 05-01-2016, 02:39 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
1 Thessalonians 2:13 For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Jeremiah 23:29 Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces?

Timothy 3:15-17 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Where are the verses about a collection of writings to be discussed and questioned to seek a deeper understanding? I do know Scriptures about those corrupting the Word to suit their own desires.

2 Corinthians 2:17 For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ.

Romans 16:18 Now I urge you, brethren, keep your eye on those who cause dissensions and hindrances contrary to the teaching which you learned, and turn away from them. For such men are slaves, not of our Lord Christ but of their own appetites; and by their smooth and flattering speech they deceive the hearts of the unsuspecting

In other words you are plainly a liar contradicting the Word of God which says it is inspired by God and the very Words of God Himself, with your own theory that it is not God's voice, now that is idolatry.
Nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity