Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2016, 12:26 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times

Advertisements

John Harper helped others on the Titanic and gave up his own life in so doing:

http://nowtheendbegins.com/pages/pre...ohn-harper.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 12:32 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Awesome. I plan to use that as a sermon illustration at some point.

Old 05-02-2016, 12:53 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Awesome. I plan to use that as a sermon illustration at some point.

Have you laid down your life lately?

Is it just me or are the only people who get excited about others dying are those who are still alive?

Old 05-02-2016, 01:03 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post

Is it just me or are the only people who get excited about others dying are those who are still alive?
I die daily.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:56 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
...and so did many others.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:57 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
LOL! Ain't that the truth.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:04 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
I die daily.
Don't seem to be in a hurry to help out a stranger in the same boat?

Detroit I do mind dying..
Attached Thumbnails
Christian minister lays down his own life to save others-detroit_i_mind_dying.png  

Old 05-03-2016, 03:33 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,239 times
Quote:

http://nowtheendbegins.com/pages/pre...ohn-harper.htm
And jesus just watched.

Planned it at "let there be light". Waited 6,000ish years to actually see it happen.

What a god. You know that would have been a great time for a miracle, wouldn't you say Eusebi?

Old 05-03-2016, 03:36 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:

Yes. I died to sin on July 28, 1993 at about 11 am during a worship service in the basement of a Best Western in Kansas City, MO. I was with a group of other college-aged kids on a trip to Worlds of Fun. At that time our church back home was praying for us.

Romans 6:11 " So you also must consider yourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus."

Thankfully, I've never been asked to die physically for another human being. I pray I never will face that decision, but I hope that I would pass the test if I had to take it.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:26 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
Quote:
As the sounds of terror and mayhem continued, Harper focused on his God-given purpose. Survivors reported seeing him on the upper deck on his knees, surrounded by terrified passengers, praying for their salvation.
At 2:40am, the Titanic disappeared beneath the North Atlantic, leaving a mushroom-like cloud of smoke and steam above her grave and, tragically, over 1000 people, including Harper, fighting for their lives in the icy water. He managed to find a piece of floating wreckage to hold onto. Quickly he swam to every person he could find, urging those about him to put their faith in Jesus Christ. While death forced others to face the folly of their life's pursuits, John Harper's goal of winning people to Jesus Christ became more vital.
Are you saved?
In the water, John Harper was moving around as best he could, speaking to as many people as possible. His question was, "Are you saved?" And if they weren't saved and if they didn't understand that terminology, then as rapidly as he could he explained the Christian Gospel.
Here we have an example of a brave person, who acted as his beliefs instructed.

However, because of those beliefs, had I seen him attempting to spend potentially life-saving time and energy striving to convert those around him to Christianity...I'd have probably wanted to bonk this wondrous person over the head with a skillet.

Look how his religious beliefs converted such a selfless person into what appears to me, as a non-Christian, to be a disaster. I'd find this heartbreaking if it hadn't happened so long ago.

Best case scenario...he gave comfort to some people (according to my worldview).

I think this illustrates an example of the wide divide that can be between secularism and the less agnostic forms of Christianity. Here's an example of why we have self-described militant atheists.

Last edited by Clintone; 05-03-2016 at 04:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity