Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 01:12 PM

738 posts, read 1,884,020 times

Advertisements

Hi,

ACCORDING to the Trinity doctrine, the holy spirit is the third person of a Godhead, equal to the Father and to the Son. As the book Our Orthodox Christian Faith says: "The Holy Spirit is totally God."

In the Hebrew Scriptures, the word most frequently used for "spirit" is ru'ach, meaning "breath; wind; spirit." In the Greek Scriptures, the word is pneu'ma, having a similar meaning.

THE Bible's use of "holy spirit" indicates that it is a controlled force that Our God uses to accomplish a variety of his purposes. To a certain extent, it can be likened to electricity, a force that can be adapted to perform a great variety of operations.

At Genesis 1:2 the Bible states that "God's active force ["spirit" (Hebrew, ru'ach)] was moving to and fro over the surface of the waters." Here, God's spirit was his active force working to shape the earth.

God uses his spirit to enlighten those who serve him. David prayed: "Teach me to do your will, for you are my God. Your spirit [ru'ach] is good; may it lead me in the land of uprightness." (Psalm 143:10) When 70 capable men were appointed to help Moses, God said to him: "I shall have to take away some of the spirit [ru'ach] that is upon you and place it upon them."—Numbers 11:17.

Bible prophecy was recorded when men of God were "borne along by holy spirit [Greek, from pneu'ma]." (2 Peter 1:20, 21) In this way the Bible was "inspired of God," the Greek word for which is The·o'pneu·stos, meaning "God-breathed." (2 Timothy 3:16) And holy spirit guided certain people to see visions or to have prophetic dreams.—2 Samuel 23:2; Joel 2:28, 29; Luke 1:67; Acts 1:16; 2:32, 33.

The holy spirit impelled Jesus to go into the wilderness after his baptism. (Mark 1:12) The spirit was like a fire within God's servants, causing them to be energized by that force. And it enabled them to speak out boldly and courageously.—Micah 3:8; Acts 7:55-60; 18:25; Romans 12:11; 1 Thessalonians 5:19.

By his spirit, God carries out his judgments on men and nations. (Isaiah 30:27, 28; 59:18, 19) And God's spirit can reach everywhere, acting for people or against them.—Psalm 139:7-12.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 06:48 PM

7,995 posts, read 12,271,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post

In a sense, if God is the band, the Holy Spirit is the one conveying the music.
And he does so how?

(How does he convey the music?)

Take gentle care.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:56 PM

7,995 posts, read 12,271,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
You are such a good seeker!!

June... quick question first. Have you ever been to a football game? you know... actually at the game? or baseball? or any sporting event involving a stadium?

Think of the game (God) as the center of our attention... and all the fans in the seats.
We all see the same game... so how come we see things different? Logic would say there's the facts... there's the proof... it's right there in front of our noses... and yet who agrees? Logic would say we all must come to the same conclusion if we observe the same truth.

So....... Does it matter to the game that your seat doesn't give a clear view? does it matter to the game you can't know everything during the game? Does our view of game in any way shape or form, alter anything on the field of play? The answer is always the same... and yet we all come to different conclusions about the game.

So there's June... in the "cheap" seats! She see's the game... but wants to see better... she wants to see clearer. She looks for the ref's to help her understand what's happening and why.

She has just felt the Holy Spirit. I love seekers!!

Dave: Despite the fact that June isn't into sports, (ballet, perhaps, but not necessarily sports...) she likes your analogy...Interestingly enough, if I remember correctly, the Hindus have a similiar type of anology in explaining God.

So in what sense is the holy spirit the "referee?"

Take gentle care from Red Sox Nation.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:23 PM

14,967 posts, read 9,797,636 times
Default Dear bean town... almost perfect season....

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Dave: Despite the fact that June isn't into sports, (ballet, perhaps, but not necessarily sports...) she likes your analogy...Interestingly enough, if I remember correctly, the Hindus have a similiar type of anology in explaining God.

So in what sense is the holy spirit the "referee?"

Take gentle care from Red Sox Nation.
The ref makes the call for what is "plain to see" but so many are blinded by: a) I'm a fan, b) I'm a non fan c) hate the game, my hubby made me come, d) kill the ref.... the point is... the ref helps us see through all the "junk" we carry with us to the game. Worldly view, those sinning hypocrite Christian's, science is always right, etc.

The Holy Spirit is not limited to believers... God has no limits. So... yes June, you have felt God's spirit. God has planned (His Holy Spirit)this very moment for all of us to see a clearer view for your life and mine.

He works through imperfect people trying to explain in an imperfect way, to work His incredible perfection in our lives. Very cool stuff!!!

Old 02-15-2008, 02:32 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,382,731 times
My church called it the Holy Ghost.
This led me to believe that it must be Casper - the only Friendly Ghost I could imagine at the time.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:28 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,271,106 times
Default A still, small voice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
And he does so how?

(How does he convey the music?)

Take gentle care.
What matters isn't how He conveys the music.. He is quite versatile! He is conveying the music right now, as Dave brought up...

Old 02-15-2008, 04:46 PM

932 posts, read 1,273,227 times
So many here are so much better than myself at expressing a lot of these things! Bunches got rep points, thats for sure!

I can give you an example of when I feel the Holy Spirit.

Typically before I go to bed each night (because its the only time it is quiet and I don't have kids pulling me in three different directions!) I lay in bed and read my Bible- usually between 15-30 minutes. I have done this for quite some time now, and it is habit (odd for me, because I can't even get in the habit of taking my coffee cup from my desk to the kitchen! So, I am not a 'creature of habit' typically speaking! lol).

On the nights that I don't- whether because I'm too exhausted, or couldn't find my booklight- I feel so guilty! This is the Holy Spirit telling me I should be studying!

Old 02-16-2008, 08:36 AM

320 posts, read 954,609 times
Baptism in the Holy Spirit
baptism in the holy spirit

Old 02-16-2008, 10:58 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,808,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girleylips View Post
Baptism in the Holy Spirit
baptism in the holy spirit
Now why is it taught that in order to be baptised in the HS you have to speak in tongues.....this is one of those teachings that make my blood boil, I do however believe if you are filled with the HS you have the abiltiy to speak in tongues, but not as evidence.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:37 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,007,450 times
Hey June!

The best way I can "simply" explain the Holy Spirit (at least MY perspective) is:

He's your conscience with a Higher Power. He's kind of like little ole Jiminy Cricket to the power of 100. if that makes sense. Some people say that the Holy Spirit is what makes you feel all "warm and fuzzy" inside. I don't know about that so much, but I sure do know that He lets me know when I have done something wrong that, before I was a Christian, may not have noticed.

When some people are "saved", they are immediately blessed with the Holy Spirit, but for others it may be a long standing progress. lol

This was probably of little help, but it's the best I can do right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity