Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 06:49 PM

45 posts, read 42,385 times

Advertisements

I don’t know what seeds have been planted. Lately, I just haven’t been into it anymore. I use to look forward to worship every Sunday and bible class on Wednesday nights. I enjoyed the fellowship both in and out of the church building. I still believe in God and love the relationship I have with him through Christ. I still study my bible and have recently gotten back on praying more. Since November last year I’ve noticed a shift in my attitude. I no longer enjoy the sermons, the songs, functions, or even the people. Our minister does a great job teaching principles that line up with scripture. I just no longer want to be engaged. I use stay late after services to meet new people and catch up the other members. Now, I leave as fast as possible.... This year’s theme at my congregation is called “one another” and its focused on loving and serving the body Christ. They are splitting members into small groups for devotionals once a month to encourage closer relationships. I’m not for it. However, I still go because we are not to forsake the gathering of saints. I’ve been in church my WHOLE life. I don’t believe it was time wasted. However, I do feel that I’ve been missing out a lot of experiences. Its difficult to explain. I’ve recently became a teacher’s assistant for Sunday bible school to help with this drought. Has anyone here experienced this? If so, what motivated you to keep going? I’ve already thought about going to a different congregation, but what good will that do? I’ll more than likely run into the same issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 05:47 AM

3,859 posts, read 3,045,300 times
Stay home a few weeks and then see how you feel. If you don't want to go to church anymore, then no one here can convince you otherwise.

Old 05-04-2016, 05:56 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,146,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recovering_shygirl View Post
I don’t know what seeds have been planted. Lately, I just haven’t been into it anymore. I use to look forward to worship every Sunday and bible class on Wednesday nights. I enjoyed the fellowship both in and out of the church building. I still believe in God and love the relationship I have with him through Christ. I still study my bible and have recently gotten back on praying more. Since November last year I’ve noticed a shift in my attitude. I no longer enjoy the sermons, the songs, functions, or even the people. Our minister does a great job teaching principles that line up with scripture. I just no longer want to be engaged. I use stay late after services to meet new people and catch up the other members. Now, I leave as fast as possible.... This year’s theme at my congregation is called “one another” and its focused on loving and serving the body Christ. They are splitting members into small groups for devotionals once a month to encourage closer relationships. I’m not for it. However, I still go because we are not to forsake the gathering of saints. I’ve been in church my WHOLE life. I don’t believe it was time wasted. However, I do feel that I’ve been missing out a lot of experiences. Its difficult to explain. I’ve recently became a teacher’s assistant for Sunday bible school to help with this drought. Has anyone here experienced this? If so, what motivated you to keep going? I’ve already thought about going to a different congregation, but what good will that do? I’ll more than likely run into the same issue.
Sounds normal to me. Everyone gets into ruts from time to time.

A couple of things to consider... did anything change in either your life or the church around October or November? Any particular people that you have soured on?

Also - God may be wanting you to move elsewhere. It is OK if that's the case. Don't assume that the issue will persist in a different environment - unless you know what the issue is.

Keep submitting the issue to God. Stay faithful.

Old 05-04-2016, 06:03 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,131,185 times
Everybody gets burned out on occasion. Explore your faith in different ways for a few weeks.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:27 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,849,571 times
Buy a motorbike!

Old 05-04-2016, 07:35 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,179,039 times
Quote:
May I ask what type of church? (Baptist, Calvary Chapel, Lutheran, etc...)

Have you discussed it with your pastor? He might appreciate an honest discussion on it. Have you considered maybe attending a different church for a bit? If you're Baptist, maybe even try going to an E Free church, or something along that line.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:37 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,728,975 times
Quote:
On a couple of occasions, I've had a nagging "I really just don't want to go to Church today" feeling. In my experience, this is generally the devil chipping away at my enthusiasm for going and trying to lure me into a more vulnerable place. When I don't go to church on one Sunday, it's easier to not go again the following Sunday. Then it's easier to do it again and again and again. Before you know it, you've been avoiding fellowship with your fellow believers for over a year and you realize that you're completely miserable -- at least that is my experience. Other close friends have had the same experience and also fell prey to terrible things like adultery or drugs or sexual deviancy and many other things. While I didn't fall prey to a life of ongoing sin, I made a lot more small mistakes and sins in my life and I was just miserable.

Now it's possible that your church might not be the best fit for you. Maybe there is something better or truer or better capable of helping to build up your faith and bring you closer to Christ. But above all else, realize that no good can come from simply not going. Try this. Read one chapter out of any one of the four gospels every day at home on your own. Pray before you start and pray when you're done. See where this takes you. Try to pray more regularly. Take your problem to your God your Heavenly Father.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:41 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,165,320 times
Go fishing. Or just sit on a log beside a creek for an hour or two.

Beats any service or church for getting in touch with what matters.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:44 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,218,598 times
Going to Church makes you about as Christian as standing in a garage makes you a car.

You don't need the church to celebrate/explore your spirituality.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:05 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,728,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Going to Church makes you about as Christian as standing in a garage makes you a car.

You don't need the church to celebrate/explore your spirituality.
I agree and disagree. Ultimately, going to church does not make you a follower of Christ. It might and it might not. But for one who already believes, surrounding yourself with like-minded believers can surely boost your spirits and strengthen your resolve. There's a lot of good that the many can do that the individual cannot. And doing things in groups is just in our DNA. Humans are psychologically "herd animals." We seek to support and validate ourselves by creating groups. I think God fully understands this and wants us to group together in mutual support. Case in point, AA has been a lot more successful at helping addicts than just having the addicts go it alone.

But yes it's true, it is what you do on your own time that truly defines you as either Christian or something else entirely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity