Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 03:12 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,493,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I never stated that baptism with the Holy Spirit does anything for God.

You are giving me Matthew 3:15 - did you read John 1? That will give you the details of identification and confirmation concerning Jesus that has nothing to do with us.

Water does not clean your conscience... the Holy Spirit does.

Baptism indeed saves you - it is the baptism of the Holy Spirit that Jesus performs from heaven upon faith in the gospel.
Yes I read John 1. Since there is multiple other scriptures that speak to this like Matthew 3, you're simply off base.

Baptism is the water connected with God's Word which God uses as a means of grace through which the Holy Spirit works faith in the recipient and the forgiveness of sins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Ever notice in Romans chapter four that Paul never mentions the word "baptism" for God to declare someone righteous for believing that Christ died because of our offenses, was entombed and roused the third day?

And did you ever notice that in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 that baptism likewise is never mentioned? Here, see if you can spot the word "baptism" or "baptize" in this passage:

1 Corinthians 15:1-4 Now I am making known to you, brethren, the evangel which I bring to you, which also you accepted, in which also you stand, (2) through which also you are saved, if you are retaining what I said in bringing the evangel to you, outside and except you believe feignedly." (3) For I give over to you among the first what also I accepted, that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures, (4) and that He was entombed, and that He has been roused the third day according to the scriptures,
Ever noticed the word wash in connection with baptized in Acts 22:16
"Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away, calling on his name.’ "
and it is that "washed" and "washing with water and word" that Paul uses in
1 Corinthians 6:11
And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

Ephesians 5:25-27
Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word,
has suddenly lost any connection to baptized with Acts 22:16 when this so-called great perception of Paul's "all" of UR magically appears ?
Amazing

Last edited by twin.spin; 05-18-2016 at 03:46 PM..

Old 05-18-2016, 03:49 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,965,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Ever notice in Romans chapter four that Paul never mentions the word "baptism" for God to declare someone righteous for believing that Christ died because of our offenses, was entombed and roused the third day?

And did you ever notice that in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 that baptism likewise is never mentioned? Here, see if you can spot the word "baptism" or "baptize" in this passage:
1 Corinthians 15:1-4 Now I am making known to you, brethren, the evangel which I bring to you, which also you accepted, in which also you stand, (2) through which also you are saved, if you are retaining what I said in bringing the evangel to you, outside and except you believe feignedly." (3) For I give over to you among the first what also I accepted, that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures, (4) and that He was entombed, and that He has been roused the third day according to the scriptures,
Doesn't Romans 6:3-4 mention baptism ?______

Baptism is also mentioned at Ephesians 4:5; Colossians 2:12 and 1st Peter 3:21

Romans 6:3 is Not a baptism that a Christian undergoes on behalf of someone already dead ( 1 Cor. 15:29 ) but is rather something that affects a person's own future.

Last edited by Matthew 4:4; 05-18-2016 at 04:24 PM..

Old 05-18-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
No, the thief on the cross with Jesus was not baptized.
Don't forget everyone who died before Jesus died was Not offered heaven - John 3:13
That includes people like: King David - Acts 2:34, and John the Baptizer - Matthew 11:11
Please notice everyone mentioned in the 11th chapter of Hebrews did Not receive the promise - Hebrews 11:13,39.
The promise God made to father Abraham was Not heaven but future life on Earth.
God's promise is that ALL families of Earth and ALL nations of Earth will be blessed - Genesis 12:3; 22:18
Blessed through Christ's reign over Earth with the benefit of healing for Earth's nations - Revelation 22:2
So, Jesus was Not promising the thief heaven, but offering paradise. Paradise was the Garden of Eden located on Earth.
Jesus never resurrected anyone to heaven. All his resurrection were back to healthy physical life on Earth.
We do Not pray ' Our Father which art in paradise ', and we do Not pray for heaven to come.
During Christ's millennium-long day of governing over Earth, then Earth will became a beautiful paradisical Earth.
Enemy death will be No more - 1st Corinthians 15:26; Isaiah 25:8; Revelation 21:4-5
And No one will say, "I am sick..." - Isaiah 33:24
So, that thief will have a happy-and-healthy physical resurrection on Earth.
Jesus used the ' future tense ' at John 5:28, and so does Acts 24:15 use the future tense that there ' is going to be ' a resurrection..... That future earthly resurrection takes place during Christ's millennial reign over Earth. Those Not called to heaven will hear Jesus' voice in order to have the opportunity to live forever on Earth as originally offered to Adam before his downfall. Adam was never offered heaven but ' everlasting life on Earth ' as long as he kept God's Law. Adam lost access to the ' tree of life ' for us, but Jesus will undo, or reverse, all the damage Satan and Adam brought upon us, and under Christ's coming 1,000-year governmental rulership over Earth mankind will see the return of the Genesis ' tree of life ' for the healing of Earth's nations - Revelation 22:2

Old 05-18-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
I bet the same thing can be said for those that offended the infant community by saying they are not 'all nations'.
"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit"
From what would an infant have to repent of ?_________ Nothing, right ?
How can anyone ' make ' a disciple out of an infant ?
Baptism is for a person to become dedicated to God and repentance from their sins - Acts 2:37-38; Acts 3:15,19
Aren't infants (minors) already covered by the believing parent________ - 1 Corinthians 7:14
Christian baptism ( immersion ) is for people old enough to make their own dedication to God.
Christian baptism in Scripture also symbolizes burial, and as with a burial, baptism would be complete submersion.
- Romans 6:4-6; Colossians 2:12

Under Christ's 1,000-year governmental rulership over Earth ALL nations will be blessed - Genesis 22:18
That includes ALL families ( including minors ) will be blessed - Genesis 12:3
Blessed with healing through Jesus for Earth's nations - Revelation 22:2

Old 05-18-2016, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
1)From what would an infant have to repent of ?_________ Nothing, right ?
2)How can anyone ' make ' a disciple out of an infant ?
3) Baptism is for a person to become dedicated to God and repentance from their sins - Acts 2:37-38; Acts 3:15,19
4)Aren't infants (minors) already covered by the believing parent________ - 1 Corinthians 7:14
5) Christian baptism ( immersion ) is for people old enough to make their own dedication to God.
6) Christian baptism in Scripture also symbolizes burial, and as with a burial, baptism would be complete submersion.
- Romans 6:4-6; Colossians 2:12

7) Under Christ's 1,000-year governmental rulership over Earth ALL nations will be blessed - Genesis 22:18
That includes ALL families ( including minors ) will be blessed - Genesis 12:3
Blessed with healing through Jesus for Earth's nations - Revelation 22:2
1A: "all have sinned", "no one is righteous, not even one", "in sin my mother conceived me" "people are without excuse", "flesh gives birth to flesh",

2A: Jesus' command: Baptize all nations. Jesus did not limit Baptism to adults.

3A: Baptism is not a "dedication". Jesus didn't need to dedicate himself.

4A: see 1A. God's Law says no

5A: The gift of God is not people's decision + Baptism is not immersion only

6A: baptism comes from baptizó which had come to be understood as time went on not only submerse but also to sprinkle

7A: Millennialism will be shown for what it is
---
The crass literal reading of the OT\NT of Jesus' return
A
" transport of it (the Bible) into the stratosphere of their own esoteric speculations"

Last edited by twin.spin; 05-18-2016 at 10:25 PM..

Old 05-19-2016, 06:51 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Yes I read John 1. Since there is multiple other scriptures that speak to this like Matthew 3, you're simply off base.

Baptism is the water connected with God's Word which God uses as a means of grace through which the Holy Spirit works faith in the recipient and the forgiveness of sins.

How is John 1 off base... regarding the reason Jesus needed to be baptized by John? Please explain.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
How is John 1 off base... regarding the reason Jesus needed to be baptized by John? Please explain.
John 1 is not off base., your application\understanding of it is since there is multiple other scriptures that speak to this exchange in scriptures like Matthew 3.

The purpose of Jesus' baptism is not what decision theology must see it as.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:30 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Doesn't Romans 6:3-4 mention baptism ?______

Baptism is also mentioned at Ephesians 4:5; Colossians 2:12 and 1st Peter 3:21

Romans 6:3 is Not a baptism that a Christian undergoes on behalf of someone already dead ( 1 Cor. 15:29 ) but is rather something that affects a person's own future.
Concerning Romans 6:3,4:
3 The spiritual values of baptism into the death (Lk 12:50) and entombment with Christ, as shown in this chapter, indicate that spirit baptism is in view here (cf 1Cor 12:13). "For in one spirit also we all are baptized into one body." (Concordant Commentary)

Here Christ is not talking about water baptism:

Luk 12:50 Yet a baptism have I to be baptized with, and how I am being pressed till it should be accomplished!" Christ was talking about a baptism into death.

1Co 12:13 For in one spirit also we all are baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free, and all are made to imbibe one spirit."

Old 05-20-2016, 09:33 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
John 1 is not off base., your application\understanding of it is since there is multiple other scriptures that speak to this exchange in scriptures like Matthew 3.

The purpose of Jesus' baptism is not what decision theology must see it as.
I am asking for your rendering of what John 1 says...

John 1:29-35
The next day he saw Jesus coming to him and said, "Behold, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world! 30 "This is He on behalf of whom I said, `After me comes a Man who has a higher rank than I, for He existed before me.' 31 "I did not recognize Him, but so that He might be manifested to Israel, I came baptizing in water." 32 John testified saying, "I have seen the Spirit descending as a dove out of heaven, and He remained upon Him. 33 "I did not recognize Him, but He who sent me to baptize in water said to me, `He upon whom you see the Spirit descending and remaining upon Him, this is the One who baptizes in the Holy Spirit.' 34 "I myself have seen, and have testified that this is the Son of God." 35 Again the next day John was standing with two of his disciples, 36 and he looked at Jesus as He walked, and said, "Behold, the Lamb of God!"

It is pretty clear why Jesus was baptized in water... and it spells out that Jesus would baptize with the Holy Spirit - which is the one baptism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity