Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2016, 04:54 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,710,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Really? Am I taking pleasure in unrighteousness and teaching others to do so also? OR am I speaking the Word and letting the chips fall where they may? Peace
No you take no pleasure in RIGHTEOUSNESS as Jesus lived it---with compassion for all (except Pharisees)
You haven't spoken ANY word that comes from Jesus--you love Paul and the OT because you practice the LAW in your religion. That is what fundamentalism is--the LAW--and nothing else.

And it indicates you are a fearful person, worried about how the world is turning out. I have no fears of where the world is headed because I know who controls the final outcome.

But so you can look into your own soul, I will repeat many of the same points about how fundamentalism appeals to people with psychological struggles:

1. Absolutist (nothing is relative)
2. Literalist (until something disagrees with their viewpoint--then see below)
3. Selective (see above--fundamentalists often choose aspects of their tradition and reinterpret their sources of tradition to both justify their fears and substantiate their opposition to modernism).
4. Authoritarian (Pastoral or ecclesial authority is also highly regarded in Christian fundamentalist groups)
5. With-or-Against (Members have the burden of either being completely in the group or set apart from it as an enemy)
6. Strict Morality (including dressing modestly, not smoking or drinking, a refusal to read certain literature or listen to particular music, and a whole host of other norms)
7. End Time Certainty (certainty regarding the future of the world, an apocalyptic end, judgment of unbelievers, and your own final vindication in the world to come) Aren't we special???
8. Violence (while not all fundamentalists are violent, almost all support national violence as a way of "honoring" God--wave the flag and pass the ammunition)
9. Exclusive (Fundamentalists believe that they alone have access to objective truth and absolute morality)
10. Reactionary: ( Fundamentalist groups tend to be defined by those aspects of social change that they are against, which leads to prejudice and resistance to change)
Jacobus Vorster, the director of the School of Ecclesiastical Studies of the North-West University in South Africa, defines fundamentalism as describing "a certain form of religious belief which is characterized by extremism" and as a means for specific religious groups to protect their identities from perceived threats.
Source:10 Characteristics of Religious Fundamentalism | eHow

Reading the above is like reading the soul of practically all fundamentalists. Maybe you are an exception. All of us are waiting for a post from you to prove that you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 08:40 PM

6,792 posts, read 2,900,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden
Links? You need links? How about some quotes with links?
All quotes from:Evangelicals admit the Sodom story has nothing to do with homosexuality.

Jewish writer Jay Michaelson, HuffingtonPost
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
I'm at work, so I don't have time to delve into who these aledged "evangelicals" are.
Well, unless you're permanently at work and never have any time to do anything other than work read all the scriptures pertaining to Sodom and Gomorrah for yourself if and when you get home. You'll find that "your church" has been lying to you ...!

Old 05-23-2016, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD
Dew is so much more Christ-like than you could ever pretend to be, Rbbi. It is God who accepts or rejects sin, NOT YOU, Rbbi. God is NOT counting our sins against us. Why on earth do you think YOU have the right to do so???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
You don't even know Him so how would you know? You think you have to be "born again" by literally dying! That is NOT the good news.

I never said I did. All I did was state what the Word says, and because you can't find that familiar wiggle room, you attack me personally. And you are a fool if you think your sins don't matter to G-d, plain and simple. You will die in your sins, if you do not pick up your cross and follow Him. That means denying self and all the man-made theories you've attached yourself to, that offer you nothing but death. Peace
Are you a happy man, Rbbi1? You'll say 'yes', of course. I'm just wondering what it must be like having to walk on eggshells all the time for fear of putting a foot wrong and somehow offending an ever-watching, ever finger-pointing deity. You and others on this board may not be like this in real life but your/their posts suggest that you/they are.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:31 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,980,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Are you a happy man, Rbbi1? You'll say 'yes', of course. I'm just wondering what it must be like having to walk on eggshells all the time for fear of putting a foot wrong and somehow offending an ever-watching, ever finger-pointing deity. You and others on this board may not be like this in real life but your/their posts suggest that you/they are.
Perhaps the are convinced that they are right and are free from guilt. I do wonder though, whether they are afraid that somebody somewhere might be having fun?

Old 05-24-2016, 05:07 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,942,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrhockney View Post
You're judging already...quite pathetic. His list included Robert Gagnon who is considered by many to be the chief antigay debater and who may as well be a Westboro sign holder as far as I'm concerned...the fact that you don't even know who he is shows how little you've really researched this.

I have a Bible and the Spirit of God, so the theories of men are tossed aside. What's more, you claim this "evangelical" is a chief anti gay debater, but that proves nothing. Perhaps he's a fine man, but that doesn't equate to having the truth of the Scriptures. Lastly, you say that I'm judgmental, but I don't just accept people's opinions as truth -- evangelical or not.

Last edited by scgraham; 05-24-2016 at 05:25 AM..

Old 05-24-2016, 05:24 AM

On another note, Jesus said that He would not return until it was like the days of Lot (Sodom & Gomorrah), yet liberals say that it is better nowadays than it was 50-60 years. Are people today more or less hospitable to homosexuals? What about other groups? Clearly, people of today are more hospitable and accepting. So, the mere lack of Sodom's hospitality can be eliminated as to the reason for its destruction.

Old 05-24-2016, 05:31 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,211,479 times
Quote:
On another note, Jesus said that He would not return until it was like the days of Lot (Sodom & Gomorrah), yet liberals say that it is better nowadays than it was 50-60 years. Are people today more or less hospitable to homosexuals? What about other groups? Clearly, people of today are more hospitable and accepting. So, the mere lack of Sodom's hospitality can be eliminated as to the reason for its destruction.
Seems the evangelical cultists are doing everything they can to make it INHOSPITABLE and exercise GREED and GLUTTONY, huh?

"'Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy.

Old 05-24-2016, 05:37 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,211,479 times
Quote:
I have a Bible and the Spirit of God, so the theories of men are tossed aside. What's more, you claim this "evangelical" is a chief anti gay debater, but that proves nothing. Perhaps he's a fine man, but that doesn't equate to having the truth of the Scriptures. Lastly, you say that I'm judgmental, but I don't just accept people's opinions as truth -- evangelical or not.
I have JESUS and the counselor HE promised...both trump any written book so the theories of cultists are CAST aside and mythological stories are ignored and rejected.

THERE IS NO TRUTH IN MAN WRITTEN WORDS--TRUTH is ONLY and will forever be "found" through CHRIST..

Some cultists just hate on EVERYONE while clinging to their fairy-tale stories of HATE, ANGER, JEALOUSY,and BIGOTRY..

Old 05-24-2016, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrhockney
You're judging already...quite pathetic. His list included Robert Gagnon who is considered by many to be the chief antigay debater and who may as well be a Westboro sign holder as far as I'm concerned...the fact that you don't even know who he is shows how little you've really researched this.

Quote:
I have a Bible and the Spirit of God . . .
As do the many thousands of members of the "Gay-Affirming" churches. So what's your point?

Quote:
. . .so the theories of men are tossed aside.
You initiated a thread titled: "Sodom and Gomorrah - The sin was sodomy, not inhospitality" ...remember? You didn't get that from the Bible. You didn't get that from "the Spirit of God". You got that from none other than 'the theories of men' ...!

Quote:
What's more, you claim this "evangelical" is a chief anti gay debater, but that proves nothing. Perhaps he's a fine man, but that doesn't equate to having the truth of the Scriptures. Lastly, you say that I'm judgmental, but I don't just accept people's opinions as truth -- evangelical or not.
Accepting people's opinions is PRECISELY what you're doing, scgraham!

But, you are right about Robert Gagnon ...his admitting that 'the sin' of Sodom and Gomorrah was not homosexuality is not reliant on his impressive theological credentials ...it simply means that he can READ!

Dare I challenge you yet again to do the same as Robert Gagnon? That is, read the passages that concern themselves with S&G and then come back to point out to us WHERE in those passages there is ANY reference to homosexuality? Will you do that?

Old 05-24-2016, 05:48 AM

Here's some food for thought on Sodom's sins:

barbwire.com/2014/05/19/sodoms-sin-sodomy-inhospitality/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity