U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 06:51 PM

7,945 posts, read 13,615,819 times

Advertisements

I've always wondered why Christian fundmentalists go as far as to say global warming isn't happening. Whether humans are the cause or not, cleaning up the environment will be good for all of mankind. It also says in the Bible to care for the earth. Why are fundamentalists so against this? Is it because admitting that scientists are correct on global warming would push them towards admitting the earth is older than 6,000 years?

If some doom and gloom scientists are correct, our species may be facing extinction within the next 200 years if something is not done. I tend to not agree with those scientists, but what if they are right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 07:36 PM

600 posts, read 1,076,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I've always wondered why Christian fundmentalists go as far as to say global warming isn't happening. Whether humans are the cause or not, cleaning up the environment will be good for all of mankind. It also says in the Bible to care for the earth. Why are fundamentalists so against this? Is it because admitting that scientists are correct on global warming would push them towards admitting the earth is older than 6,000 years?

If some doom and gloom scientists are correct, our species may be facing extinction within the next 200 years if something is not done. I tend to not agree with those scientists, but what if they are right?
I think it's possible that global warming might in fact be taking place and I'm a fundamentalist. Who's to say though that it isn't somewhat of a pattern and that every thousand years (or whatever) the earth might have gone through a period of warming, only to normalize again after a certain period of time.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:39 PM

13,283 posts, read 19,907,291 times
Doesn't global warming and global cooling happen every hundreds of thousands of years?

Old 02-14-2008, 08:22 PM

224 posts, read 350,690 times
We already know its older than 6000 years we have recorded history older than that.

Deb I agree with what you say. I mean everyone freaking out over this.

If your scientist are correct then the earth has already been through this seems like I remember something about an ice age in school. Well that ice had to go somewhere.

The resent Global Warming crowd are the same folks back in the 60's and 70's that were saying we were headed for an ice age. It was even on the cover of TIME magazine if I recall correctly.

They said the same thing about the hole in the ozone layer until it started to close. And I know what you'll say "that it is because we got rid of floral carbons". But that would not be correct. A resent study that was published has proven that the floral carbons had a minimal to nule effect on the ozone layer.

Do you see a pattern here?

Ice Age
Drought
Hole in the ozone
Y2K
The New Milennium
Global Warming
??????
??????
??????

It will continue as long as there is money to be made off of Hysteria.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:17 AM

2,739 posts, read 7,253,660 times
Hmmm. That's the first time I've heard anyone imply that fundamentalists don't believe in global warming. I don't think they are saying it's not actually warming, they are just disagreeing over what's actually causing it...whether it's a man-made thing, or a natural warming cycle of nature that just happens every so many thousand years. (??) I have yet to meet anyone, fundamentalist or otherwise, who doesn't think global warming is going on right now...but then...you have to consider that Alaska is the MOST affected state of the 50, when it comes to warming. (at least that's what they say) (I might have questioned it a week ago though, when it was
-7 to -10 here for several days in a row...).
Whether it is just a "normal" swing cycle of nature we are going through, or a man-made thing with disastrous consequences, the earth IS undeniably warming. (you ought to see what's happening to the glaciers up here in Alaska). Thirty years ago our winters were about 5 to 10 degrees colder than they are now. You would think with the warmer winters we'd have less snow, but the opposite is true: we have MORE now...way more...lot's of it! The last three winters have all been just horrible: tons and tons and tons of snow. (I don't mind a LITTLE snow. But, we aren't getting a little...we're getting A LOT!) Right now (mid-Feb) I have berms 6 to 10 feet high in the yard. It's been requiring heavy equipment to move it (because it's so heavy...soaked with rain) (and you really have no choice but to clear it out of your drive after a snowfall...soon...because if left to freeze hard in place, it's going to be there until the spring thaw. Your car won't get in....you will be spending the rest of the winter walking...) (and...in that scenario: how will the fuel oil delivery truck get to your house? You'd freeze...). We used to be able to deal with the snowfall using an ordinary plow mounted on a pickup truck. Not any more...it's just too heavy, and too much...there's been days when even the backhoe had trouble moving it. It sure is no fun plowing and shoveling it all winter. I literally had just finishing plowing the driveway, my two neighbors yards and driveway, and my parents driveway with the backhoe for the last 2 1/2 hours, when I came in the house and saw this post. Believe me, SOMETHING is causing the weather to go screwy!!! (could it simply be that we are in the END TIMES...and this wierd weather is just one of the results???)
I will say there is a "plus" side to all this snow: we will have NO shortage of fresh water this summer...(or anytime in the forseeable near future)...probably be heavy flooding in the spring...

Bud

Old 02-15-2008, 12:20 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,407,258 times
I'm a fundamentalist and I believe in global warming. It's relatively obvious. I think what is being said here is why don't fundamentalists believe in the CAUSE of global warming. Whether or not it's caused by humans cannot be proven because records don't go back far enough. And, as an earlier post said, the earth has always had a history of cold/hot/cold/hot, this is a fact. Those who are screaming hysterically about greenhouse gasses are primarily the earth muffin greenies who detest everything about society from capitalism to suburbia to just about anything that doesn't mesh with their far left views of creating a utopia.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:24 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,020,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Doesn't global warming and global cooling happen every hundreds of thousands of years?

It does, but not at the speed we are witnessing now. Obviously we are doing something that is making a natural process developing a lot faster.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:48 AM

3,086 posts, read 5,277,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Why do fundamentalists deny global warming?
IMO, that's a pretty broad statement. Could you explain a little more?

I'm sure you would call me a fundamentalist, but I try to take as good care of the earth as possible. I hate litter.. I love natural beauty. I believe that mankind's pollution has an effect on the environment, to what extent I don't know. But I believe that global warming has become a religion to many people.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:56 AM

6,713 posts, read 11,395,716 times
*Sniff* *Sniff* *Sniff* *Sniff*

I smell science...

Old 02-15-2008, 08:05 AM

3,086 posts, read 5,277,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxGreyFalconxx View Post
The resent Global Warming crowd are the same folks back in the 60's and 70's that were saying we were headed for an ice age. ....................

They said the same thing about the hole in the ozone layer until it started to close. ....................

Do you see a pattern here?

Ice Age
Drought
Hole in the ozone
Y2K
The New Milennium
Global Warming
??????
??????
??????

It will continue as long as there is money to be made off of Hysteria.
Science? ^ What are you talking about, Troop?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post

I smell science...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity