Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 01:06 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,644,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
You are woefully ignorant of my Church. The Catholic Church came from the Jewish religion. If you only want to read anti-Catholic web sites that is your business but don't cry foul when others point out that you are not right when you post those things.
From wikipedia concerning Christianity and anti-semitism:

The Church Fathers identified Jews and Judaism with heresy and declared the people of Israel to be extra Deum (lat. "outside of God"). Saint Peter of Antioch referred to Christians that refused to worship religious images as having "Jewish minds".[22]

Patristic bishops of the patristic era such as Augustine argued that the Jews should be left alive and suffering as a perpetual reminder of their murder of Christ. Like his anti-Jewish teacher, St. Ambrose of Milan, he defined Jews as a special subset of those damned to hell. As "Witness People", he sanctified collective punishment for the Jewish deicide and enslavement of Jews to Catholics: "Not by bodily death, shall the ungodly race of carnal Jews perish ... 'Scatter them abroad, take away their strength. And bring them down O Lord'". Augustine claimed to "love" the Jews but as a means to convert them to Christianity. Sometimes he identified all Jews with the evil Judas and developed the doctrine (together with St. Cyprian) that there was "no salvation outside the Church".[23]

Other Church Fathers, such as John Chrysostom, went further in their condemnation. The Catholic editor Paul Harkins wrote that St. John Chrysostom's anti-Jewish theology "is no longer tenable (..) For these objectively unchristian acts he cannot be excused, even if he is the product of his times." John Chrysostom held, as most Church Fathers did, that the sins of all Jews were communal and endless, to him his Jewish neighbours were the collective representation of all alleged crimes of all preexisting Jews. All Church Fathers applied the passages of the New Testament concerning the alleged advocation of the crucifixion of Christ to all Jews of his day, the Jews were the ultimate evil. However, John Chrysostom went so far to say that because Jews rejected the Christian God in human flesh, Christ, they therefore deserved to be killed: "grew fit for slaughter." In citing the New Testament,[Luke 19:27] he claimed that Jesus was speaking about Jews when he said, "as for these enemies of mine who did not want me to reign over them, bring them here and slay them before me."[23]

St. Jerome identified Jews with Judas Iscariot and the immoral use of money ("Judas is cursed, that in Judas the Jews may be accursed... their prayers turn into sins"). Jerome's homiletical assaults, that may have served as the basis for the anti-Jewish Good Friday liturgy, contrasts Jews with the evil, and that "the ceremonies of the Jews are harmful and deadly to Christians", whoever keeps them was doomed to the devil: "My enemies are the Jews; they have conspired in hatred against Me, crucified Me, heaped evils of all kinds upon Me, blasphemed Me."[23]
----------------------
Methinks you might wish to study some History of Religion. Perhaps you should do that first before you begin studying Scripture critically in order to understand what it REALLY says. Listening to a priest and saying some Hail Mary's after Confession are nice rituals, but won't get you any closer to grasping truth. The only ones ever worth questioning are those in power---and having compassion for those in power frequently requires confronting them regarding their treatment of others. That's why you have me in your face, so to speak.

I see now your difficulty revolves around swallowing denominational apologetics---and, those apologetics, my lady, are a-changing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 07:03 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,041,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
From wikipedia concerning Christianity and anti-semitism:

The Church Fathers identified Jews and Judaism with heresy and declared the people of Israel to be extra Deum (lat. "outside of God"). Saint Peter of Antioch referred to Christians that refused to worship religious images as having "Jewish minds".[22]

Patristic bishops of the patristic era such as Augustine argued that the Jews should be left alive and suffering as a perpetual reminder of their murder of Christ. Like his anti-Jewish teacher, St. Ambrose of Milan, he defined Jews as a special subset of those damned to hell. As "Witness People", he sanctified collective punishment for the Jewish deicide and enslavement of Jews to Catholics: "Not by bodily death, shall the ungodly race of carnal Jews perish ... 'Scatter them abroad, take away their strength. And bring them down O Lord'". Augustine claimed to "love" the Jews but as a means to convert them to Christianity. Sometimes he identified all Jews with the evil Judas and developed the doctrine (together with St. Cyprian) that there was "no salvation outside the Church".[23]

Other Church Fathers, such as John Chrysostom, went further in their condemnation. The Catholic editor Paul Harkins wrote that St. John Chrysostom's anti-Jewish theology "is no longer tenable (..) For these objectively unchristian acts he cannot be excused, even if he is the product of his times." John Chrysostom held, as most Church Fathers did, that the sins of all Jews were communal and endless, to him his Jewish neighbours were the collective representation of all alleged crimes of all preexisting Jews. All Church Fathers applied the passages of the New Testament concerning the alleged advocation of the crucifixion of Christ to all Jews of his day, the Jews were the ultimate evil. However, John Chrysostom went so far to say that because Jews rejected the Christian God in human flesh, Christ, they therefore deserved to be killed: "grew fit for slaughter." In citing the New Testament,[Luke 19:27] he claimed that Jesus was speaking about Jews when he said, "as for these enemies of mine who did not want me to reign over them, bring them here and slay them before me."[23]

St. Jerome identified Jews with Judas Iscariot and the immoral use of money ("Judas is cursed, that in Judas the Jews may be accursed... their prayers turn into sins"). Jerome's homiletical assaults, that may have served as the basis for the anti-Jewish Good Friday liturgy, contrasts Jews with the evil, and that "the ceremonies of the Jews are harmful and deadly to Christians", whoever keeps them was doomed to the devil: "My enemies are the Jews; they have conspired in hatred against Me, crucified Me, heaped evils of all kinds upon Me, blasphemed Me."[23]
----------------------
Methinks you might wish to study some History of Religion. Perhaps you should do that first before you begin studying Scripture critically in order to understand what it REALLY says. Listening to a priest and saying some Hail Mary's after Confession are nice rituals, but won't get you any closer to grasping truth. The only ones ever worth questioning are those in power---and having compassion for those in power frequently requires confronting them regarding their treatment of others. That's why you have me in your face, so to speak.

I see now your difficulty revolves around swallowing denominational apologetics---and, those apologetics, my lady, are a-changing.

This is why the catholic church has a reputation as being one of the largest ant-Semitic organizations on the planet?

Old 05-28-2016, 12:07 AM

23,653 posts, read 17,406,462 times
Well there you go believing in Wiki-pedia. Why don't you go to the horses mouth to learn Church history. Easy enough---

Catholic Answers

Old 05-30-2016, 07:13 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,232,213 times
Quote:
Well there you go believing in Wiki-pedia. Why don't you go to the horses mouth to learn Church history. Easy enough---

Catholic Answers
Read the Father's he quoted and it is there as indicated.

Old 05-30-2016, 07:41 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,644,620 times
Quote:

Catholic Answers
For me, I don't care where the truth comes from. I'm not in the business of dumbing it down or making it appear holier than thou. That's a task for organized religion.

There are NUMEROUS references in Wikipedia, but you aren't interested in truth--so you won't look at them, let alone look them up.

Old 05-30-2016, 07:51 PM

10,067 posts, read 5,678,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Stop lying. There are none of my posts where I "threw feces." I demand that you cite any examples of said "feces" or withdraw your libel. I do nothing but promote agape love and ask my brothers and sisters in Christ to actually FOLLOW Christ and love God and EACH OTHER every day and repent when they don't. Instead, you and others actually defend the real life mistreatment and discrimination against others you THINK are sinners. THAT is Anti-Agape, Finn.
I would say your posts to me are not very "loving".

Old 05-30-2016, 08:22 PM

63,354 posts, read 39,631,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Stop lying. There are none of my posts where I "threw feces." I demand that you cite any examples of said "feces" or withdraw your libel. I do nothing but promote agape love and ask my brothers and sisters in Christ to actually FOLLOW Christ and love God and EACH OTHER every day and repent when they don't. Instead, you and others actually defend the real life mistreatment and discrimination against others you THINK are sinners. THAT is Anti-Agape, Finn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
The posts to you are primarily rebukes of your defense of mistreatment and discrimination against Gays because of what you THINK is their sin. Rebukes seldom feel loving, but they are motivated by it in defense of the Gays you think should be mistreated and discriminated against in the name of God

Old 05-30-2016, 08:30 PM

32,516 posts, read 36,985,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Your posts about the LGBTQ community are not loving.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:48 PM

10,067 posts, read 5,678,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Your posts about the LGBTQ community are not loving.
Jesus was loving towards the prostitute. Was He loving towards the act of prostitution?

Old 05-31-2016, 01:23 AM

23,653 posts, read 17,406,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
For me, I don't care where the truth comes from. I'm not in the business of dumbing it down or making it appear holier than thou. That's a task for organized religion.

There are NUMEROUS references in Wikipedia, but you aren't interested in truth--so you won't look at them, let alone look them up.
But will you go to Catholic.com to read about the Catholic Church? Anybody can write anything in Wikipedia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity