Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2016, 08:27 AM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
You "loving " Christians and your book of hate. What would your life be like without the ignorance, hate, and fear the majority of you display! If Jesus came back he would NOT be a conservative Republican!
The Bible is a book of love. Just not love for sin. Because sin destroys. WHy would I want to love that?

Old 06-03-2016, 08:28 AM

1,419 posts, read 1,047,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
The world he refered to was the religious world that is full of biases and prejudices. Why do you think the prostitutes, publicans and tax collectors flocked to him and the religious establishment rejected him and had him crucified?, it was that bunch of God haters who were evil and lived in darkness and hated the true reality of who God really is ( Jesus). He did not go around exposing sin or speaking against it anywhere other than in the fundies when they started to pull their usual crap.

To claim you are hated because of how you interpret the bible is so shallow thinking it's untrue. The true spiritual man does not see anyone hating on him, he's to busy serving beyond it.
As I have just shown you, Jesus Christ says that He was hated by the world. And nowhere does it indicate that He is referring to the 'religious establishment'. So if you claim the 'true spiritual man does not see anyone hating on him', you're saying Jesus Christ wasn't a true spiritual man. He recognised the hate and He spoke out about it.

Those people flocked to Him because they had no problem seeing their sin and their need for a Saviour, and they knew they were accepted with Jesus Christ since He came to call sinners to repentance and not the righteous. But He came to call sinners to repentance! Not to accept them and leave them the way they were.

He did go out preaching repentance and faith, which is exposing sin. What else do people need to repent from? Why did He say to the woman caught in adultery: go and sin no more? By grace (because by the law she should've been stoned) He forgave her, and told her consequently to sin no more.

John 8:11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

John 5:14 Afterward Jesus findeth him in the temple, and said unto him, Behold, thou art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee.

He did not come to abolish the law, which is what you are suggesting. And I haven't seen any Bible verse that would indicate Jesus accepted willful sinners that would not turn away from their sin and believe/follow Him, have you?

Matthew 5:17-20 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

How do you interpret this part of the Sermon on the Mount? Do you see yourself with the people doing and teaching the commandments of God? Or do you pride yourself on your lawlessness and your "acceptance" of all worldliness? Are you with those that will be called great and are exceeding the righteousness of the scribes and pharisees? If not you can ask yourself the question, will I enter into the kingdom of heaven?

Old 06-03-2016, 08:47 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I think God has spoken through the prophets, His son and the apostles, so that we can know Him. You don't know what God thinks about homosexuality? Then perhaps you're wrong.
I'll admit I often have trouble deciphering your short, semi-cryptic posts so I have to ask: wrong about what?

I believe we can know God. Knowing God and knowing what he thinks are two different things. The people in your church know you. Do they know what you're thinking?

People are born gay. We see homosexuality in the animal kingdom. Therefore I'd guess God doesn't have a problem with it. Do I know his exact thought on the matter? Nope. If you think you do......so do a lot of your fellow fundamentalists. Apparently y'all have psychic powers. Which is weird because fundamentalists usually frown on the ESP stuff.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 06-03-2016 at 09:01 AM..

Old 06-03-2016, 08:54 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
I don't believe you're reading scripture correctly. The Bible was not written in 21st Century English.
True, the bible is not written in 21st Century English but it is not 4,000 years old. The King James publication which is still the Gold Standard reference is only 400 years old. But you raise an interesting point: why does anyone care about moral texts that are 400 year old revisions of ideas that are 4,000 years old? Even the hipster translations of the King James into current vernacular fail to take the opportunity to revise the ideas encapsulated in The Holy Bible making it ever and ever more irrelevant as time goes on. Some things get better with age but not ideas. Even wine has a point at which it stops getting better and turns sour.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
p.s. Considering the fact people are born gay I'd guess he thinks homosexuality isn't as big a deal as the fundamentalists make it out to be
People are not born gay. Or straight. I think Kinsey was onto something when he said people are more or less bi-sexual at birth. We learn to choose women primarily if we are male and vice versa if we are female. This is for the good of The Order, and a little reflection will make clear why this works as well as it does... or did.

Last edited by Leisesturm; 06-03-2016 at 09:29 AM..

Old 06-03-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
I have no idea what God thinks about homosexuality. I also don't know what he thinks about your church, The Dodgers chances of winning the World Series, or the price of bread. I do now what God thinks or how God thinks. God is God. He is not telling me his innermost thoughts nor do I know His thought process.
Frankly, I think anyone who claims they know what God thinks should seek psychiatric treatment.
You seem quite ok with not knowing what God thinks about important issues in our lives and our world. So do many Christians and other people of faith or spirituality. Why should that be? Why should we have to strain to hear that still small voice of an entity so mighty that it brought the Universe into existence? Any God that stands silent while Syria is torn apart by Assad and his forces should not be held in awe by the Christian world, but in utter contempt. What He might think about homosexuality pales into insignificance against the backdrop of Climate Change, Environmental Pollution, Cancer, HIV/AIDS and Income Inequality. Any of these things could bring down humanity as we know it.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
You seem quite ok with not knowing what God thinks about important issues in our lives and our world. So do many Christians and other people of faith or spirituality. Why should that be? Why should we have to strain to hear that still small voice of an entity so mighty that it brought the Universe into existence? Any God that stands silent while Syria is torn apart by Assad and his forces should not be held in awe by the Christian world, but in utter contempt. What He might think about homosexuality pales into insignificance against the backdrop of Climate Change, Environmental Pollution, Cancer, HIV/AIDS and Income Inequality. Any of these things could bring down humanity as we know it.
I'm quite OK with admitting I don't know what God thinks. He is not saying, "Dew...here's what I think:.." I don't expect Him to. The best I can do is apply my beliefs about Him when faced with problems in this world. Which is why I urge people to donate to food banks, spay and neuter their pets, and educate themselves about the problems we face with global warming.

If you're unhappy with God's silence....tell him, not me. The only being I have control over is myself.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:27 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
I'll admit I often have trouble deciphering your short, semi-cryptic posts so I have to ask: wrong about what?

I believe we can know God. Knowing God and knowing what he thinks are two different things. The people in your church know you. Do they know what you're thinking?

People are born gay. We see homosexuality in the animal kingdom. Therefore I'd guess God doesn't have a problem with it. Do I know his exact thought on the matter? Nope. If you think you do......so do a lot of your fellow fundamentalists. Apparently y'all have psychic powers. Which is weird because fundamentalists usually frown on the ESP stuff.
Wrong about what God thinks about homosexuality.

You claim God must be OK with it since some people are born with that inclination. Makes sense. However, it is unnatural in its use of the human body, sexually speaking. From a Christian perspective, Jesus referred to marriage as man/woman. Surely you can see why this is such a controversial subject.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:30 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
I'm quite OK with admitting I don't know what God thinks. He is not saying, "Dew...here's what I think:.." I don't expect Him to. The best I can do is apply my beliefs about Him when faced with problems in this world. Which is why I urge people to donate to food banks, spay and neuter their pets, and educate themselves about the problems we face with global warming.

If you're unhappy with God's silence....tell him, not me. The only being I have control over is myself.
God has not been silent on the issues of human sexuality and marriage.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Surely you can see why this is such a controversial subject.
Of course I can. That's why the gay threads are hundreds of pages long. The fundamentalists think they're right. The liberals think they're right.

Welcome to the world. Everyone thinks they are right. You seem to want me to admit I'm wrong. According to my beliefs and my conscience...I don't think I'm wrong. If you think I'm wrong...you get to think whatever you want.

I quit caring what fundamentalist/evangelicals thought in the 80's when I watched some of them desert and disown their gay sons who were dying of AIDS because of their religious beliefs. It was an evil thing to witness. My very own Come to Jesus moment....watching fundamentalist parents walk out of their dying son's hospital room.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 06-03-2016 at 09:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity