Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 04:25 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,940,722 times

Advertisements

Acts 5

[1] But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession,
[2] And kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain part, and laid it at the apostles' feet.
[3] But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land?
[4] Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.
[5] And Ananias hearing these words fell down, and gave up the ghost: and great fear came on all them that heard these things.
[6] And the young men arose, wound him up, and carried him out, and buried him.
[7] And it was about the space of three hours after, when his wife, not knowing what was done, came in.
[8] And Peter answered unto her, Tell me whether ye sold the land for so much? And she said, Yea, for so much.
[9] Then Peter said unto her, How is it that ye have agreed together to tempt the Spirit of the Lord? behold, the feet of them which have buried thy husband are at the door, and shall carry thee out.
[10] Then fell she down straightway at his feet, and yielded up the ghost: and the young men came in, and found her dead, and, carrying her forth, buried her by her husband.
[11] And great fear came upon all the church, and upon as many as heard these things.

The Holy Spirit killed this man and his wife to keep the Church clean and holy. It wasn't just the Old Testament that was tough on sin. Over the years, however, the Church has allowed sin back in. Jesus must be really grieved. Sin comes from a lack of love for his/her Master. Jesus said:

John 14

[21] He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
[22] Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world?
[23] Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.
[24] He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.
[25] These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 06:48 PM

88,508 posts, read 84,673,021 times
I bet that's your favorite story in the entire Bible!

Old 06-04-2016, 07:25 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,707,455 times
Why is there only one incident like this in the entire New Testament? Did the Holy Spirit only kill one person like that to keep the church pure. Imagine how much easier life could be if God would just kill more backslidden and lying Christians dead on the spot. No one would have to even persecute others - God would just strike people dead. Maybe he does and I just don't realize it. But I kind of doubt it because there are too many money loving hypocrites among those who name the name of Christ that God has not killed on the spot. I wonder why.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:30 PM

88,508 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
Why is there only one incident like this in the entire New Testament? Did the Holy Spirit only kill one person like that to keep the church pure. Imagine how much easier life could be if God would just kill more backslidden and lying Christians dead on the spot. No one would have to even persecute others - God would just strike people dead. Maybe he does and I just don't realize it. But I kind of doubt it because there are too many money loving hypocrites among those who name the name of Christ that God has not killed on the spot. I wonder why.
Yeah, we'd be seeing televangelists hit by lightning bolts on live TV all the time.

Somebody made up that story and it became an Early Christian Urban Legend.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:19 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyqueen801 View Post
yeah, we'd be seeing televangelists hit by lightning bolts on live tv all the time.
You clever girl.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:31 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,852,714 times
Isn't it odd that the apostles would know so much about the financial matters of their members.

Hmm.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:36 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,342,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
The Holy Spirit killed this man and his wife to keep the Church clean and holy.
Fear based thinking.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:45 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,852,714 times
The entire book is satire.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:52 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,369,604 times
Default The Wages of Sin is Death - Jesus' Early Church Proved It

^^ Op's question??

As to Proof?? Nope~ It's so typical that someone wishes to take a few chosen scriptures by whomever thousands of years ago..and somehow suggest Sin is and forever more be Death ..then of course means in their minds..Directly to He$$

I then ask..Why so many humans on this earth who commit heinous crimes against innocents..Don't get stricken down immediately?? Latest proven case is Hastert..who molested young men..then went on to become Speaker of the House..then made huge amounts of money ( talents was the currency way back then)..and still is alive and well...tho in his later years will be in jail, once society finally decided to accept it

So for anyone living in the 21st Century wishes to go back to the 1st Century, and live under such narrow ( myopic/my word for the day ) then go back to the founding of biblical lands and live by their rules!!

Such a ridiculous hypotheses

No living human being EVER escapes death...WHY?? because all sin in some form or other..whether its thru thoughts, deeds or intentions. So BEST advice would be prepare for Judgement day in a MUCH HIGHER COURT. Ya either walk the talk or talk the walk..either way..you will eventually have to answer for ALL!!

Old 06-04-2016, 09:30 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,270,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Acts 5

[1] But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession,
[2] And kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain part, and laid it at the apostles' feet.
[3] But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land?
[4] Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.
[5] And Ananias hearing these words fell down, and gave up the ghost: and great fear came on all them that heard these things.
[6] And the young men arose, wound him up, and carried him out, and buried him.
[7] And it was about the space of three hours after, when his wife, not knowing what was done, came in.
[8] And Peter answered unto her, Tell me whether ye sold the land for so much? And she said, Yea, for so much.
[9] Then Peter said unto her, How is it that ye have agreed together to tempt the Spirit of the Lord? behold, the feet of them which have buried thy husband are at the door, and shall carry thee out.
[10] Then fell she down straightway at his feet, and yielded up the ghost: and the young men came in, and found her dead, and, carrying her forth, buried her by her husband.
[11] And great fear came upon all the church, and upon as many as heard these things.

The Holy Spirit killed this man and his wife to keep the Church clean and holy. It wasn't just the Old Testament that was tough on sin. Over the years, however, the Church has allowed sin back in. Jesus must be really grieved. Sin comes from a lack of love for his/her Master. Jesus said:

John 14

[21] He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
[22] Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world?
[23] Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.
[24] He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.
[25] These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you.
Oh my God. Do you ever shut up,about sin ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity