Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 10:06 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Actually, He did indeed die for our sins as stated in 1 Corinthians 15:3. And it is a correct translation as stated in BDAG.
1 Cor. 15:3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for (ὑπὲρ - huper) our sins according to the Scriptures,
ὑπὲρ - huper with the Genitive case means for. BDAG - A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament, 3rd edition, states regarding ὑπὲρ - huper,
A. w. gen. 1 a marker indicating that an activity or event is in some entity's interest, for, in behalf of, for the sake of someone/someth. [something is abbreviated as someth. - my note]
Still under A. 1. it states the following
b. w. gen. of thing, in which case it must be variously translated ὑπὲρ (τῶν) ἁμαρτιῶν in order to atone for (the) sins or to remove them 1 Cor 15:3; Gal 1:4; Hb 5:1b; 7:27; 9:7 (here ὑπὲρ . . . τῶν ἀγνοημάτων);
Even a beginning Greek Grammar, such as 'Learn to Read New Testament Greek,' 3rd edition, by David Alan Black states that ὑπὲρ with a word in the Genitive case means 'for.' p.62.
And for, carries the connotation of: because of, or if you prefer, due to.

Last edited by Jerwade; 06-11-2016 at 10:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
"Double, double, toil and trouble," he says gleefully while predicting my doom.

Isn't fortune telling against your religion?
Bubbles have a way of bursting.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:10 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Where Is Muhammad Ali Now?

He's in hell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Oh the joy of hoping another human being is in hell. It gives fundamentalist ideologues orgasm.
I think scgraham just had an orgasm!

Old 06-12-2016, 04:18 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Quote:
You say I'm going to hell, but my testimony rests with Jesus.
so you say...if you can disown all the christian perpetrators of murder, they too can disown yo and dismiss you "claims" of being with Christ.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:41 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,943,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
so you say...if you can disown all the christian perpetrators of murder, they too can disown yo and dismiss you "claims" of being with Christ.
Your rhetoric is beyond the pale. But, I know the liberal playbook: rhetoric and propaganda. However, the Saints who are rooted and grounded in Christ Jesus don't even listen to it.

Old 06-12-2016, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Your rhetoric is beyond the pale. But, I know the liberal playbook: rhetoric and propaganda. However, the Saints who are rooted and grounded in Christ Jesus don't even listen to it.
Actually, propaganda is a conservative tactic to mislead the people, or masses.

Old 06-12-2016, 02:25 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is why you probably stand condemned already by your own attitude toward others. You despise agape love in favor of your "precepts and doctrines of men" thinking that God cares more about what you believe than what you do to others in His name. I am not concerned with you bowing to my agape love beliefs because they are NOT mine. They are Christ's and you shall account to Him for your failure of agape love toward those you THINK are sinners. There is no excuse for you to condemn anyone, or mistreat anyone, or discriminate against anyone for what you THINK are their sins, period. That is the evil you promote as the word of God. That is sad, very, very sad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
Indeed..Supposed self- professed Christians ( who happen to be human thus sinners to begin with) Love to criticize and condemn to HE-"double hockey sticks" ( sounds like those crazy Westboro Baptist Church types) continue to pass judgement on others!! It's part and parcel of what they do....It's disgraceful for anyone who actually knows the teachings....
Quote:
You don't listen because you have completely missed the central message of Christ's Gospel - God IS agape love. You profess a vengeful, wrathful, punishing God who will condemn others to eternal hell while saving you special people. It is a corruption from merging the barbaric OT beliefs about God with the God Jesus revealed unambiguously into the "precepts and doctrines of men."

Old 06-12-2016, 02:51 PM

1,419 posts, read 1,048,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You don't listen because you have completely missed the central message of Christ's Gospel - God IS agape love.
I think Christ also forgot to mention the central message of God IS agape love in His Gospel message when He started preaching.

Mark 1:14-15 Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God, And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

I do see all kinds of crazy stuff about the kingdom of God, repentance and faith, you'd almost think He was one of those barbaric OT fundies right!

Old 06-12-2016, 05:07 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Quote:
We indeed are beginning to overcome the cultist mindset..

Old 06-12-2016, 05:13 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,708,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanokh View Post
I think Christ also forgot to mention the central message of God IS agape love in His Gospel message when He started preaching.

Mark 1:14-15 Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God, And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

I do see all kinds of crazy stuff about the kingdom of God, repentance and faith, you'd almost think He was one of those barbaric OT fundies right!
Hardly. Jesus talked freely with women and touched them and let them touch him. He didn't care what the religious zealots thought about it. A very liberal man considering the time he walked the earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity