Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 09:23 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I suspect they will when they KNOW God has actually said something for them to believe, Eusebius. When you spout what MEN have said God said, you are believing those men, NOT God. Those who oppose you, do not accept the word of men just because you say it is from God.
Jesus "spouted what men said" (by quoting scripture). Yet, He said and did nothing apart from the Father.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 03:55 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,378,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
obviously when it wants me to.

What day?
Ugh, I just saw this and since Eusebius gave an incredibly lame response and I have a little extra time, I'll try to give a brief answer: I think most people would respond by asking: 'wait, so do you mean Sunday or Monday?'...if you just sternly looked at me again like Morpheus from the Matrix and said "3 days from this moment..". I would probably guess Monday at noon....but regarding the point you are trying to make, not every Christian scholar or apologist believes he was Crucified on Friday and that's not hard to find with a simple web search...plus, just as a side note that is not as relevant to the this case, if I remember correctly the Hebrews often consider a 12 hour period as a "day"...Um...can we get back on topic now?...This threads suffered enough derailment for one week I think.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:43 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Well,the group that has explained it the best are Jehovah Witnesses.

They believe death is a state of unconsciousness.
The same state that was before you were born.

Also,hell is a concept that is different from Gehenna.

Hell is a pagan belief,one of many that crept into Christianity in the first century.

From what i understand,that is how the ancient Jews saw it as,an unconscious state.

Old 07-07-2016, 05:39 AM

435 posts, read 250,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post

Hell is a pagan belief,one of many that crept into Christianity in the first century.

From what i understand,that is how the ancient Jews saw it as,an unconscious state.
What evidence is there that "Hell...crept into Christianity in the first century"?

That is when Christianity was born & the NT Scriptures were written.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:13 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,959,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post

I would agree with them on that.

Quote:
True.

Quote:
I think it crept in after Constantine tried to take over.

Quote:
Could be.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:15 AM

8,669 posts, read 4,803,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
Imagine the power that went forth when God spoke the universe into existence. All matter condensed into a space the size smaller than that of an atom. It is said the universe is not only queerer than we suppose, it is queerer than we can suppose.

Most of us who believe in God are in awe of Him because of His mighty power but in awe for much different reasons.

Ironic isn't it that most of the self proclaimed ambassadors of God here are preaching that this all-powerful Being is going to destroy the vast majority of souls in a lake of fire for all of eternity? it's not bad enough that first these souls most endure planet earth with the stack of cards purposely stacked against them , live in poverty and suffering and then die and then get tossed into the oven set for 500 degrees but don't worry, God in His mercy will grow your new flesh onto your new body over and over in this oven so He can burn you over and over. Bummer isn't it?

The teaching of ET is like a man who loves working on cars, it's his love and passion. One day he notices his 69' Camaro is acting up. He lifts the hood and notices the carburetor is busted and needs a rebuild. So he goes and gets his can of gasoline, dowses the car and sets it on fire.

Its like the loving father who sees his child wandering into traffic but won't intervene, because He gave His son free will. His son should know better than cross the street without looking but that's the breaks.

Its like the 1 sheep that wanders away and the good Shepard decides not to go after him. Is that any different when you preach God abandons you in hell forever?

When the foundation is flawed, you will get the great falling away. It is here already. When the foundation is flawed, you will teach it is OK to kill some people under certain circumstances even though God says THOU SHALL NOT KILL. It will be OK to wage war, its OK to tell people God is always angry and is going to roast most people for trillions upon trillions of years and you would need eternity just to explain how long it really is.

The other group of people are in awe of Him because they know God didn't lose control and one day will be all in all, with none missing. If I am wrong, why would God go through with such lunacy?

Destroy the Vast majority? No one has said this.

Tell me, Do you know the worm of Jacob?

Old 07-07-2016, 01:15 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,953,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClementofA View Post
What evidence is there that "Hell...crept into Christianity in the first century"?
That is when Christianity was born & the NT Scriptures were written.
Gospel writer Luke did forewarn early at Acts 20:29-30 about false shepherds trying to fleece the flock of God.
When the unfaithful Jews began mixing with the Greeks they adopted their religious theories and philosophies.
So, the religious-myth fire in hades began to be taught as Scripture.

By the time the King James Version was translated that apparently influenced the translating of the word Gehenna into English as hellfire although Gehenna was just a garbage pit where things were destroyed forever Not kept burning forever.

Old 07-07-2016, 01:47 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,803,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Gospel writer Luke did forewarn early at Acts 20:29-30 about false shepherds trying to fleece the flock of God.
When the unfaithful Jews began mixing with the Greeks they adopted their religious theories and philosophies.
So, the religious-myth fire in hades began to be taught as Scripture.

By the time the King James Version was translated that apparently influenced the translating of the word Gehenna into English as hellfire although Gehenna was just a garbage pit where things were destroyed forever Not kept burning forever.
The pagan philosophies detract from the plain and simple understanding.

Remember Jacob was a plain man living in a Tent.

Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it pierces even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow. It is able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart. Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight; everything is uncovered and exposed before the eyes of Him to whom we must give account.…

Old 07-07-2016, 07:25 PM

435 posts, read 250,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post

Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.
It seems what is DESTROYED can be restored or saved:

"Jesus answered them, "Destroy this temple, and I will raise it again in three days." "

Old 07-07-2016, 08:11 PM

2,029 posts, read 1,363,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
Destroy the Vast majority? No one has said this.

Tell me, Do you know the worm of Jacob?
Ask any fundie and they will tell you only a few will be saved. The rest will be damned forever.

Plus, I have no clue what the worm of Jacob is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity