Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 02:14 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You were saved before you did anything. God does not merely desire to save us. He sent His Son. Christ DID save us, that is why He is our Saviour, NOT merely the savior of our desires. What we need to DO has nothing to do with salvation. It has to do with our sanctification by love of God and each other so we have the cover of Christ's perfect agape love (Grace) for our imperfections. Without His Grace (perfection), we will reap whatever we sow through lack of agape love toward anyone for ANY reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Wrong. There is a "transaction" of sorts that must take place.
What transaction would be needed when you are saved from drowning by a Lifeguard, jimmie. It is a ridiculous proposition created by men. Jesus never said it and He never asked anyone to worship Him. He always pointed to God the Father. The "precepts and doctrines of men" that you were taught are the main stumbling block keeping you from truly knowing our loving God, jimmie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 02:21 PM

20,440 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Quote:
What transaction would be needed when you are saved from drowning by a Lifeguard, jimmie. It is a ridiculous proposition created by men. Jesus never said it and He never asked anyone to worship Him. He always pointed to God the Father. The "precepts and doctrines of men" that you were taught are the main stumbling block keeping you from truly knowing our loving God, jimmie.
Reaching out, by faith. "Without faith, it is impossible to please God".

Yes, Jesus did say it. John 3:16

Your theology is the "precepts and doctrines of men", as you believe only 50% of Jesus' words.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:33 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Quote:
Reaching out, by faith. "Without faith, it is impossible to please God".
Drowning people are the most difficult to save and there is no transaction involved, jimmie. It is always done without any cooperation by the person drowning. Saviors don't ask. They save.
Quote:
Yes, Jesus did say it. John 3:16
Your Bible says it n the words "written in ink" frequently by the lying scribes your Bible warns you about, yet you persist in the absurd belief that it is infallible and all the words of Jesus. You ignore what is in your heart and the guide we are told to trust.
Quote:
Your theology is the "precepts and doctrines of men", as you believe only 50% of Jesus' words.
Wrong. I believe Jesus and the promised guide of the Spirit of agape love, NOT the "precepts and doctrines of men" ABOUT Jesus and God derived from words "written in ink" by men.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Drowning people are the most difficult to save and there is no transaction involved, jimmie. It is always done without any cooperation by the person drowning. Saviors don't ask. They save.
Yes, and so we must reach out, by faith.

Quote:
Your Bible says it n the words "written in ink" frequently by the lying scribes your Bible warns you about, yet you persist in the absurd belief that it is infallible and all the words of Jesus. You ignore what is in your heart and the guide we are told to trust.
You quote the same Bible I do. Isn't that ironic?

Quote:
Wrong. I believe Jesus and the promised guide of the Spirit of agape love, NOT the "precepts and doctrines of men" ABOUT Jesus and God derived from words "written in ink" by men.
I believe Jesus also-everything He said.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:56 PM

646 posts, read 465,077 times
Quote:
Your choice is in the rejection. It's still a choice.

Christianity itself is not a choice; redemption in Christ is the choice. No matter what your history, if you understand you're a sinner in need of a savior, Jesus is there waiting for you.
How would one come to the conclusion that one is a "sinner and in need to JC" if one grew up within a different tradition?

Maybe somebody would read the Christian bible and it would "click" with him but what about a person who, say, reads it and thinks: "Ok, now I have two different opinions. Just which one do I choose?" This person is in a state of confusion - not rejection.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:03 PM

225 posts, read 112,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliksder View Post
Hi there, posters of the Christianity forum,

From my limited knowledge of Christianity, it seems that some/a lot (?) of Christians are of the opinion that one can choose to believe or not believe in the God and theology that Christianity proposes. I have heard some of them say "You just have to believe!" or "Why won't you believe?"

To me, this means that a person, even if they thought that Christianity makes no sense to them, could still choose to believe?

Is that correct or am I getting this all wrong?

Thanks!
Well I believe all you have to do to be saved is believe, and that belief or love should NEVER forced, or else it isn't real, so what's the point of obeying bible god if he forces it on you?

Old 06-20-2016, 09:08 PM

Quote:
How would one come to the conclusion that one is a "sinner and in need to JC" if one grew up within a different tradition?

Maybe somebody would read the Christian bible and it would "click" with him but what about a person who, say, reads it and thinks: "Ok, now I have two different opinions. Just which one do I choose?" This person is in a state of confusion - not rejection.
Through an understanding of who we are as humans (we"miss the mark") and who God is (holy).

Old 06-20-2016, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Through an understanding of who we are as humans (we"miss the mark") and who God is (holy).
Many traditions teach the "miss the mark" thing. But they don't teach that this makes humans horrible sinners who need JC to be "saved."

So, one is still left with several choices and opinions of "who God is and what he wants." How does one come to choose Christianity?

Old 06-20-2016, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth777 View Post
Well I believe all you have to do to be saved is believe, and that belief or love should NEVER forced, or else it isn't real, so what's the point of obeying bible god if he forces it on you?
Good point. What if a person can't bring himself to believe even if he'd like to? He's doomed?

Old 06-20-2016, 09:26 PM

225 posts, read 112,564 times
Quote:
Good point. What if a person can't bring himself to believe even if he'd like to? He's doomed?
I know, and the answer is no. Anyonw can grasp that, the fact that it isn't the persons fault. But believing in or worshipping god, even I'd its a standard for being g saved, shouldn't be A standard to be saved. Folliw me? Just because believing saves, doesn't mean it should be the ultimate standard for all. Being christian a d believing in god shouldn't be what judges everyone, as not all ppl are the same, and love shouldn't be forced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity