Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 06:41 AM

1,504 posts, read 851,239 times

Advertisements

People would have figured it out eventually - if there were no Bible. To me there really is no bible....just a few paragraphs in the New Testament - that changed the world for the better. Christianity is not about old testament. It was not even meant to be a religion...it is a higher state of mind and very simplistic. It is about LOGIC....practicality....universal law and order....and of course love....above all it is about TRUTH....commonly called reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 06:45 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
You sound like my son when he was four. We use to call him the "what if kid". What if you never created this thread? I don't really understand what there is to discuss here, because we can't change the fact that there's a bible along with a multitude of other writings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
And you sound like the typical drama queen that comes to this forum looking for confrontation.

I posed the question because its a enormous amount of bible bashing in here, so the question I pose is, how would your life or faith be if there wasn't such a thing as the bible telling us about the nature of God or the life of Jesus.
You're correct OP. These forums are to question, offer opinions, give facts, etc. It's obvious some just enjoy stirring the pot to see if they can get someone riled.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:33 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Yes...I get that but what 'reality' leads you to believe that.

Clearly!

How? Are you saying that, due to us not having the answers to certain things, I claim a god?

Then if you don't understand what evidence is we are wasting our time in this discussion

Well let me explain. In every other aspect of your everyday life you rely on verifiable evidence to survive yet when it comes to your god you throw verifiable evidence in the bin and rely of 'faith' for the want of a better word. You don't drive through red traffic lights by relying on 'faith' you do do not grab hold of bare electric wires or jump off high buildings with the same mindset with which you approach your god belief - you subscribe to the evidence that you could die. Verifiable evidence directs what you do. Why don't you do the same with your god belief?

No...you don't do you!
No, I don't. Verifiable evidence is a scientific term, isn't it? When I think of v.e., I think of something that can be tested. I don't understand why one needs to test for the fact that living things and consciousness exist. Whatever the source of those things are is God to me. It makes sense to me that life and consciousness arise from something that possesses both of those qualities. How does one test that? If it IS possible, I'm sure it's well beyond my capabilities to figure out how.

Now, if you want to argue that, I'm not the girl for you. I've said to you that it doesn't matter to me that you don't see things the same way I do, and I don't understand why it matters to you.

ETA: I was re-reading this and it sounds like I'm shutting you down in that last paragraph. I didn't mean it that way. "I'm not the girl for you" to argue with, because I know my limitations. And, "it doesn't matter to me" doesn't mean your thoughts are not important, only that I'm not trying to convince you to see things my way.

Last edited by Pleroo; 06-27-2016 at 08:36 AM..

Old 06-27-2016, 07:35 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times
What a dumb question by the OP. Its a dumb question because there is a Bible and there will always be a Bible until Jesus comes again.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:47 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
What a dumb question by the OP. Its a dumb question because there is a Bible and there will always be a Bible until Jesus comes again.
let's see, Jesus tore down literal Jews and we have people trying, like the dickens (whoever they are) to tear down literal bible. If we didn't have a good police force these literal bible pushers would put all of these people to the cross. In affect, these literal bible pushers want Jesus to be less than he is but since they themselves are stuck in a book they incorrectly see their world view as the world. Anything not in that world is alien and needs to be eradicated by them.

I am usually not into convoluted logic, but i gave it a whirl. I mean just claiming a dude died, rose, and flew away is all that is needed to put down literal bible pushers.

Old 06-27-2016, 08:48 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,138,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
That is why the question started with "WHAT IF".

With all the bible bashing in here bible bashing in here and people calling believers fundies that follow the bible, the purpose of the question was, how would your life or faith be if there wasn't such a thing as the bible telling us about the nature of God or the life of Jesus, since its always so much bad to say about the scriptures in here including alot of the supposed Christians too.

Old 06-27-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
That is why the question started with "WHAT IF".

With all the bible bashing in here bible bashing in here and people calling believers fundies that follow the bible, the purpose of the question was, how would your life or faith be if there wasn't such a thing as the bible telling us about the nature of God or the life of Jesus, since its always so much bad to say about the scriptures in here including alot of the supposed Christians too.

The bible was my guidebook for 40+ years. It was my foundation. I no longer look to the bible as such. That has changed my outlook on life in positive ways because it freed me to look to something better as my foundation and guide: love. My personal opinion is that the Jesus narrative points to that foundation, so that the bible exists to share that story is not a bad thing. But that some people look to the bible in a way that replaces love as the foundation ... that IS a bad thing.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
The bible was my guidebook for 40+ years. It was my foundation. I no longer look to the bible as such. That has changed my outlook on life in positive ways because it freed me to look to something better as my foundation and guide: love. My personal opinion is that the Jesus narrative points to that foundation, so that the bible exists to share that story is not a bad thing. But that some people look to the bible in a way that replaces love as the foundation ... that IS a bad thing.
thats the key to understanding you might be on yonder shore. You used the bible as a boat, that is not a bad thing, we need it, like diapers on the young, and dare I say, the old (we leak ya know). And, as you say, when the boat is taken as the "word", or more importantly, taken as the action "loving", we have a real problem.

I always thought you were a dude. Not that makes a hill of beans difference to your insights; at all. They are wonderful.

Now the question is ... what do you want to do with that "boat"?

Old 06-27-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
thats the key to understanding you might be on yonder shore. You used the bible as a boat, that is not a bad thing, we need it, like diapers on the young, and dare I say, the old (we leak ya know). And, as you say, when the boat is taken as the "word", or more importantly, taken as the action "loving", we have a real problem.

I always thought you were a dude. Not that makes a hill of beans difference to your insights; at all. They are wonderful.

Now the question is ... what do you want to do with that "boat"?
What do I want to do with the bible boat? You mean personally? Not much, anymore. It served it's purpose in my life and the important bits of it are pretty much lodged in the core of my being. Unfortunately, some of the not good bits got lodged there too. I've worked at dislodging those, and I think I need to just let love dissolve them so they can pass out of me.

What about you? What do you want to do with it?

Old 06-27-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
What do I want to do with the bible boat? You mean personally? Not much, anymore. It served it's purpose in my life and the important bits of it are pretty much lodged in the core of my being. Unfortunately, some of the not good bits got lodged there too. I've worked at dislodging those, and I think I need to just let love dissolve them so they can pass out of me.

What about you? What do you want to do with it?
exactly the same as you. Nothing, it just disappeared for me.

The yonder shore, the water, the boats, all disappeared. I see only fields, well, really, I see only "verbs", interactions between events in larger set of events. There is no separation, those “gaps” are truly an illusion. it gets complicated, but I think you understand.

I don’t focus on love alone, that may be past my understanding so I focus on helping others be the best “other” they can be. It's all I got. Non Believers helping believers be the best believers they can be. And the reverse of course. It seems so simple to me.

In some ways I wish I was back in the jug of milli atheism, It was so much easier when it was “us” against “them”. Now I see it's us against ourselves and it is so frustrating at times. I guess it's like white blood cells attacking a transplanted heart. It just can’t be any other way for now, it drives us to invent and we will “invent” the next life form.

Just like your body "invents" longer hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity