Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2016, 05:31 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
1 John 4 is pretty clear in how love is manifested through God sending His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. You never mention this in your descriptions of what love is.

Regarding Acts 10... you would be incorrect in stating that I neglect it. However, you attempt to neglect the entirety of His sermon.

He is preaching peace through Jesus Christ in v.36. Not his teaching... HIM.

His death is mentioned. His resurrection is mentioned. He has been appointed to judge the living and the dead... both groups.

Then verse 43.... he who believes in Him, not His teaching, recieves forgiveness of sins.

You trying to neglect all of that?
No, I am assigning a different meaning to "believe in Him" than you. It is a COMMITMENT, not an intellectual exercise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 05:31 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
London is the Capitol of England, maybe you are saying something cool because I am slow witted.
I agreed with what you were saying Hanny Flav...but like a lot of folk this side of the pond who think London is England(and believe me they do) they are never going to understand or accept your post about corrupt governments .

Old 07-04-2016, 07:23 PM

63,777 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Can you answer it? It will help you see the problem with your "either/or" argument which demands things to be mutually exclusive.
Now it seems you are beginning to see it is possible to believe things about Him AND follow his instructions.
Do you, or do you not believe this ABOUT Jesus?

1 John 4:3 This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I knew that someone would ask the magic question and think that they are testing the Spirit. Simple primitive and superstitious ideas. Everything I have posted reveals that I believe the Spirit of God (Who IS agape love) came in the flesh as Jesus the Christ. Jesus brought the Spirit of agape love to His human consciousness so that all human consciousness would be connected to God through the Spirit of agape love. No magic, no superstitious nonsense. Jesus literally brought the Spirit who is God to His human consciousness. That is why we use the Spirit of agape love and the "mind of Christ" to test the Spirit, NOT some magical question.
Quote:
Another dodge. What a surprise
Not a dodge, an explanation. But, YES I believe 1 John 4:1-8! It is the basis of all my use of scripture. I test everything against the Spirit of agape love (Who IS God). You are the one who needs to do it. Verse 6 tells you how you can know the true Spirit: "Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error." Read what follows in verses 7 and 8, Finn and learn how to truly test the Spirit, not with your childish magical question.

1 John 4:1-8 King James Version (KJV)
Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:
3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.
4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is He that is in you, than he that is in the world.
5 They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them.
6 We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.

7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.
8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

Satisfied your magic question hasn't caught me out, Fnn?

Old 07-04-2016, 07:46 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Not a dodge, an explanation. But, YES I believe 1 John 4:1-8! It is the basis of all my use of scripture. I test everything against the Spirit of agape love (Who IS God). You are the one who needs to do it. Verse 6 tells you how you can know the true Spirit: "Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error." Read what follows in verses 7 and 8, Finn and learn how to truly test the Spirit, not with your childish magical question.

Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:
3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.
4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is He that is in you, than he that is in the world.
5 They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them.
6 We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.

7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.

Satisfied your magic question hasn't caught me out, Fnn?
Just say yes, or no.

Old 07-04-2016, 07:57 PM

Quote:

Satisfied your magic question hasn't caught me out, Finn?
Quote:
Just say yes, or no.
Did you miss the YES in all caps in my post, Finn. YES! YES! YES! What a maroon. I am more certain of it than you ever could be.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:08 PM

595 posts, read 331,606 times
Quote:
Did you miss the YES in all caps in my post, Finn. YES! YES! YES! What a maroon. I am more certain of it than you ever could be.
But if you say YES and also explain then you don't leave him the wiggle room to twist your answer to mean what he wants it to mean, rendering all his prepared canned rhetoric useless. No fair you not playing his game the way he wants you to play it.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I agreed with what you were saying Hanny Flav...but like a lot of folk this side of the pond who think London is England(and believe me they do) they are never going to understand or accept your post about corrupt governments .
Never heard THAT before. I thought the usual problem was people in America thinking that England is like what they see in all those murder mysteries on BBC. Something which seems to annoy many people who live in Britain. It makes me wonder if it is those who live in London who think London is England.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellmckain View Post
But if you say YES and also explain then you don't leave him the wiggle room to twist your answer to mean what he wants it to mean, rendering all his prepared canned rhetoric useless. No fair you not playing his game the way he wants you to play it.
So, you have figured out Finn's game as well!

Old 07-04-2016, 08:52 PM

Quote:
So, you have figured out Finn's game as well!
Not really... This is just the automatic suspicion I always feel whenever someone complains about not giving a yes or no answer only. If their interest is in communication then they would be grateful for such an explanation, so this strongly suggests quite a different agenda.

Old 07-04-2016, 10:20 PM

45,541 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
No, I am assigning a different meaning to "believe in Him" than you. It is a COMMITMENT, not an intellectual exercise.
Which is your issue... forcing your meaning on what Scripture says... and then acting like it's my problem.

You stated is correctly. "I am assigning a different meaning.".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity