Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 12:38 PM

23,148 posts, read 10,445,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Jesus is a hippie..he is radical, irreverent to authority and focused on social justice.
Yup, if Jesus came telling people to do the same things they did then, they would not do them, too much sacrifice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 02:52 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Far-right conservative fundamentalists hate hippies. Which is why they use that particular word to demean the beliefs of non-fundamentalist Christians.

I've never seen a Bible verse telling us to degrade people who believe in a loving Jesus so they obviously thought that one up all by themselves.
Anyone else see the irony here?

Old 06-29-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Jesus is a hippie..he is radical, irreverent to authority and focused on social justice.
But what about this? This doesn't appear to be about social justice, but rather redemption. What say you?

Mark 10:45

"The Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.”

Matthew 26:28

"This is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for forgiveness of sins."

Old 06-29-2016, 02:58 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
So.........what do you think of hippies, Jimmie? Care to share? Were you a hippie? Did you have long hair down your back, flash the peace sign and drive a VW bus with daisy curtains in the windows? If you tell us you were a hippie and miss the good old days of spreading peace and love and you wish more people today would be like the hippies... I'll admit I was wrong about fundamentalists hating hippies.

And how about the idea of hippie Jesus? Your thoughts on hippie Jesus? Does the idea of hippie Jesus make you feel warm and happy? Do tell.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 06-29-2016 at 03:10 PM..

Old 06-29-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
So.........what do you think of hippies, Jimmie? Care to share? Were you a hippie? Did you have long hair down your back, flash the peace sign and drive a VW bus with daisy curtains in the windows? If you tell us you were a hippie and miss the good old days of spreading peace and love and you wish more people today would be like the hippies... I'll admit I was wrong about fundamentalists hating hippies.

And how about the idea of hippie Jesus? Your thoughts on hippie Jesus? Does the idea of hippie Jesus make you feel warm and happy? Do tell.
And what do you think about those you call fundamentalists? Do you hate them? Care to share?

Old 06-29-2016, 03:22 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
And what do you think about those you call fundamentalists? Do you hate them? Care to share?
I just won a bet with myself. I knew you'd dodge those questions.

I think fundamentalists are like everyone else. There are some who are good people and there are some who aren't. I have several very close friends who are fundamentalists. (They don't like hippies, BTW.)

I hate no one. Hating people is self-destructive. It causes things like ulcers and heart disease because no one is going to change just because you hate them.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
I just won a bet with myself. I knew you'd dodge those questions.

I think fundamentalists are like everyone else. There are some who are good people and there are some who aren't. I have several very close friends who are fundamentalists. (They don't like hippies, BTW.)

I hate no one. Hating people is self-destructive. It causes things like ulcers and heart disease because no one is going to change just because you hate them.
Yeah, me too.

Old 06-29-2016, 05:07 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
It's not about what I think. I don't define the terms of the relationship... He does.

As important as His teaching is (while He was on the earth), faith in Him is absolutely necessary for anyone to have eternal life with Him.

Luke 7:47-50 - "For this reason I say to you, her sins, which are many, have been forgiven, for she loved much; but he who is forgiven little, loves little." 48 Then He said to her, "Your sins have been forgiven." 49 Those who were reclining at the table with Him began to say to themselves, "Who is this man who even forgives sins?" 50 And He said to the woman, "Your faith has saved you; go in peace."
You are still limiting "faith" to an intellectual exercise, this time by making the faith in a person rather than what He taught, but consider what He taught about who He IS: "I AM the Way....." Your faith in Jesus IS a commitment to that Way.

Old 06-29-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Sweet OP, nate..

I don't think Jesus Christ's message was that simple, though. Ha, sorry ...
His messages had so many layers, actually...that even after 3 yrs with him...at the 'last supper'...
when he knew he was 'leaving them'...he even said to those close to him...
There are so many things I can not tell
you because you can not bear them.
-John 16:12

So many, many things ....not just what was said in the op.
While I always appreciate your input, let me ask one question: aren't all the other things applcations of that simple message?

Old 06-29-2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
The irony of calling people out for loving vs calling people out for hateful actions? No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity