Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 09:16 AM

33,220 posts, read 26,412,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Dodging again. Why wouldn't such an important message be preserved?
I haven't dodged anything and I don't appreciate the assertion that I have. I have given you the answer to your question. Are you unable to understand what I wrote? No matter, because I'm not playing this game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 09:34 AM

4,217 posts, read 2,783,911 times
Quote:
Dodging again. Why wouldn't such an important message be preserved?
It was preserved oraly until it was written down. It was an oral culture because most were illiterate.

Old 07-04-2016, 09:36 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,382,655 times
Quote:
The most important message ever sent to mankind and nobody wrote his words down as they were spoken? Nobody could hire a scribe? What's up with that?
Maybe it depends on what you think that message was?

Old 07-04-2016, 10:15 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,301,797 times
Do you know anyone who lives by the words attributed to him? All of them?

Old 07-04-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Do you know anyone who lives by the words attributed to him? All of them?
Is that question directed to me?

Old 07-04-2016, 11:33 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,301,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Is that question directed to me?
To anybody on this planet. I'm only 65 so I might see such some day. But I doubt it.

Old 07-04-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
To anybody on this planet. I'm only 65 so I might see such some day. But I doubt it.
Oh, okay. What words of Jesus' do you think are important to live which are not being lived by anyone?

Old 07-04-2016, 11:48 AM

4,217 posts, read 2,783,911 times
Quote:
I am the resurrection and the life. Anyone who believes in me even though he died he will come to life and anyone who lives and believes in me shall never die.

The one who enters through the gate is the shepherd of the sheep. I'm the good shepherd.

Follow me and your treasure will be great in heaven.

Old 07-04-2016, 11:51 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,013,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
First of all, we don't know if anyone ever bothered to make personal notes of what Jesus said at the time that He said them. But since the writing material on which words were written, usually papyrus, didn't have a long life, then unless those personal notes were copied over and over again as were the NT manuscripts, it is highly unlikely that they would have survived to this day.

But what if no one did make any personal notes of what Jesus said at the time He said them? So what? It was an oral culture, and people in oral cultures have good memories. The words that Jesus spoke were passed down in an oral culture during the lifetime of eyewitnesses to what Jesus had said which provided a check and a restraint on how the gospel was orally passed down until the time that the Gospels were written.

And as Jesus had told the apostles, the Holy Spirit would bring to their remembrance the things that He had told them (John 14:26). The writer of the Gospel of John by the way, which church tradition strongly attests to be the apostle John, is shown by a comparison of John 21:24 with John 21:20-23 to have been an eyewitness of Jesus.

In other words, the writer of John had been with Jesus during His public ministry.
No, it wasn't John it was Lazarus, as you have been told many time before...It is clear to any who actually read the NT instead of do what you do, read others opinions...

Old 07-04-2016, 11:52 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,013,938 times
Quote:
We have papyrus from many years before that date.

And, again, I ask, if the words were important, why weren't they written down. Blowing off that fact doesn't address the problem, it dodges it.
Mike's a great dodger...Soon, he will get exasperated with you and state that he is not going to waste anymore time on you and run away...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity