Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 01:25 PM

595 posts, read 329,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
It’s not a reference to that which is Eternal (aidios), having no beginning or end. Furthermore, the words endless torment (adialeipton timorion) or eternal imprisonment (aidios eirgmos) and eternal punishment (aidios kalasin) do not appear anywhere in the Greek New Testament, at least not in conjunction. Neither, will you find the term(s) aidios timorion. Therefore, whoever says that there is an eternal (aidios) time set for punishment (kalasin ) or torment beyond this life is sadly mistaken. It's a limited duration of aionion (αώνιον/period of time, as in an age) kalasin (Κόλασιν/punishment - chastisement or correction) which is in view; but the day and hour that it begins and ends is unpredictable. If it were eternal, then the word Aidios would have been used. But not even Jesus used the word for eternal in conjunction with punishment.

I call that problematic?
I call your argument unconvincing. All I see is just someone who doesn't want to believe in unhappy endings for anybody ever. I see that as a refusal of life and responsibility for life to the fullest includes making choices that matter. I think that makes it unavoidable that we can also choose against life itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 02:26 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,224,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellmckain View Post
I call your argument unconvincing. All I see is just someone who doesn't want to believe in unhappy endings for anybody ever. I see that as a refusal of life and responsibility for life to the fullest includes making choices that matter. I think that makes it unavoidable that we can also choose against life itself.
If you intellectually choose not to experience life, that's your choice. As for what the Bible says, I was merely giving you the correct translation. Take from it what you will - and disregard the rest, for me: Heaven and hell are merely two inflectional points on the path which all life walks called - life and death.

You might say, it's a turning point.

Old 07-24-2016, 03:21 PM

595 posts, read 329,568 times
Quote:
If you intellectually choose not to experience life, that's your choice. As for what the Bible says, I was merely giving you the correct translation. Take from it what you will - and disregard the rest, for me: Heaven and hell are merely two inflectional points on the path which all life walks called - life and death.

The correct way to say the mathematical part is that the point between heaven and hell is an inflection point. Heaven and hell themselves are attractors. The more you eliminate the habits of sin the more freedom you have to fight against it. The more you give in to the habits of sin the more it enslaves you. The inflection is the turning point which is between the two attractors.

Old 07-24-2016, 03:28 PM

9,945 posts, read 4,899,086 times
Quote:
Isn't the real turning point when enemy ' death ' will be No more ever again _______ - 1 Corinthians 15:24-26
We can choose life according to Deuteronomy 30:19. Choose eternal life as Jesus promised that the humble meek would inherit the Earth - Matthew 5:5. - Psalm 37:10-11,29; Proverbs 2:21-22
So, according to Jesus life does Not necessarily equate to heaven but living forever right here on a beautiful paradisical Earth as originally offered to Adam before his downfall. Because it is Adam's downfall and Not ours is why Jesus' ransom gives us the opportunity to gain everlasting life on Earth starting with Day One of Jesus millennial reign over Earth.

Old 07-24-2016, 03:31 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,854,817 times
OP: Interesting post and you make a good point. You're right to a degree. The Bible says, that "no eye seen, or ear heard, or mind conceived what God has prepared for his people. But we do know a few things. Suffering, pain, evil, death, will be gone. We will have resurrected perfect bodies. We will be with Jesus. Other than that, we'll be so happy to be in a great place, far better than this life, who's going to complain?

Old 07-24-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellmckain View Post
The correct way to say the mathematical part is that the point between heaven and hell is an inflection point. Heaven and hell themselves are attractors. The more you eliminate the habits of sin the more freedom you have to fight against it. The more you give in to the habits of sin the more it enslaves you. The inflection is the turning point which is between the two attractors.
Not a problem, I wasn't writing a thesis, nor looking for it to evolve into that of sin conscious.

Old 07-24-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Isn't the real turning point when enemy ' death ' will be No more ever again _______ - 1 Corinthians 15:24-26
We can choose life according to Deuteronomy 30:19. Choose eternal life as Jesus promised that the humble meek would inherit the Earth - Matthew 5:5. - Psalm 37:10-11,29; Proverbs 2:21-22
So, according to Jesus life does Not necessarily equate to heaven but living forever right here on a beautiful paradisical Earth as originally offered to Adam before his downfall. Because it is Adam's downfall and Not ours is why Jesus' ransom gives us the opportunity to gain everlasting life on Earth starting with Day One of Jesus millennial reign over Earth.
What you think about is the atmosphere you create around yourself.
However, I do not believe, I will remain as I AM once the physical dies.

Old 07-24-2016, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
OP: Interesting post and you make a good point. You're right to a degree. The Bible says, that "no eye seen, or ear heard, or mind conceived what God has prepared for his people. But we do know a few things. Suffering, pain, evil, death, will be gone. We will have resurrected perfect bodies. We will be with Jesus. Other than that, we'll be so happy to be in a great place, far better than this life, who's going to complain?
Fairy tales of puppy dog tails.

Old 07-24-2016, 04:20 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,126,183 times
Quote:
Fairy tales of puppy dog tails.
There was a time when I thoughts that I was born of slugs and snail no puppy dog tails.

Old 07-24-2016, 04:35 PM

9,945 posts, read 4,899,086 times
Quote:

However, I do not believe, I will remain as I AM once the physical dies.
Apparently faithful Job did Not believe he would remain as he was once the physical died - Job 33:25
Job looked forward to a future physical resurrection when his flesh would be fresher than in childhood - Job 33:25,
and so did the prophet Daniel looked forward to being awakened from death's deep sleep - Daniel 12:2,13
Since there will be healing for earth's nations according to Revelation 22:2, then mankind will see the return of the Genesis ' tree of life ' for the healing of earth's nations under Christ's millennial reign over Earth when there 'will be '(future tense) a resurrection ........- Acts 24:15
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity