Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 04:06 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellmckain View Post
Many xtians teach that animals have no spirit or free will. I take the different approach that life, as well as free will which is its essence and spirit which is its fruit, is a highly quantitative thing. That means that animals have both free will and spirit but in a greatly lesser measure than human beings. The biggest difference is the human mind, which I do not believe is either a function of the human body nor a supernatural entity, but a physical (of the laws of nature) living organism in its own right with its own needs and means of passing on an inheritance to the next generation. It is life in a different medium because it is a memetic organism (of linguistic information) rather than a biological or genetic organism. It can be more alive (more aware and adaptable) than biological organisms because of the more flexible nature of its self-organization, a step farther removed from the physical environment (with the physical body to mediate).

However, animals have most of the same physical biological capabilities and thus I do think they have some ability to absorb elements of our mental life via their relationships with us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 04:20 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,348,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybosik View Post
The other day, I observed a truck pulling a trailer packed full-of cows and bulls.
They were moving around and you can tell they were agitated and afraid.
This hurt my heart to see this.
It got me thinking about some questions.

I know that GOD is compassionate,
but is GOD compassionate towards animals?

The Bible says that a Sparrow does not fall without GOD noticing it,
but taking note of a Sparrow falling,
and having pity on the fallen creature are not necessarily the same thing.
The security camera outside my house will take notice of a fallen sparrow,
but my security camera doesn’t care one way or the other about that sparrow.

Why does GOD condone humans eating animals
(God said to Peter, “Arise, Kill and Eat”),
when studies have shown that we can get all the Protein, Vitamins, Minerals
and Nutrients we need from a Plant based diet?

If we are meant to be meat eaters,
then why don’t we have sharp teeth and fangs like the meat eating animals?
Instead we have flat teeth like the primarily plant and fruit eating animals
such as Chimpanzees and Cows?

Most people agree it was evil and inhumane to stuff Jews into Box-Cars
and ship them off to be slaughtered in death-camps,
but why does society have no problem doing the same thing to animals?

I know that GOD expects us to Trust Him,
even when we don’t always understand why HE does certain things,
or allows certain things to happen.
I trust GOD, but to be honest these questions sincerely trouble me.
Perhaps these questions won’t be answered this side of Heaven.
God once killed every terrestrial animal on the planet simply because He was angry at humans. If actions speak louder than words, that should answer your question about God's concern for animals.

Old 07-28-2016, 06:48 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Nowhere does it say that we should treat animals as equals to animals. They are not human beings and our lives are more important than their's. That's clear in what Jesus said regarding "even the sparrow".

God told man to kill animals as a sacrifice. He told us to kill and eat animals. He told us to have dominion over them. I grew up on a farm. I now live in farm country. I know farmers who raise animals. I killed and butchered a hog the last 2 years that I got from a local producer. I also hunt deer and other small game like squirrels and rabbits. But I don't let an animal suffer needlessly. When I hit one with my car I put it out of its misery by shooting it.

God never told us to torture or intentionally cause pain and suffering to an animal. How we treat an animal can say a lot about our hearts.
other than the error about sacrifice, and "God told"

Old 07-28-2016, 07:54 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
Quote:
God never told us to torture or intentionally cause pain and suffering to an animal. How we treat an animal can say a lot about our hearts.
How humanity treats one-another says, even more.
Especially, under the guise of religion.

Which says: "Crucify him, Crucify him."

Old 07-28-2016, 08:11 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,043,563 times
Of course He cares about animals, He loves His creation; all of it. They, too, have a soul, which is why they too, are part of all of "creation is waiting for the manifestation of the sons of G-d."

As for Him having animal sacrifices, He did, and He also made sure they were killed humanely and even prayed over; something most killers of animals, whether they be hunters or food producers, fail to do. Peace

Old 07-28-2016, 08:26 PM

595 posts, read 331,830 times
Like slavery, animal sacrifice was a very widespread practice which did not come from God or the Israelites. Yes God could have demanded they do everything differently than the rest of the world -- even hammer their swords into ploughshares and make war no more. But they wouldn't have lasted very long if He did that. So instead asking for unreasonable changes, God asked for changes that would actually improve things for the better in the long run. Instead of the system of imaginary insurance which most people used animal sacrifices for, God instead told them to use animal sacrifices for making a commitment to change their bad habits and live a better life.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellmckain View Post
Like slavery, animal sacrifice was a very widespread practice which did not come from God or the Israelites. Yes God could have demanded they do everything differently than the rest of the world -- even hammer their swords into ploughshares and make war no more. But they wouldn't have lasted very long if He did that. So instead asking for unreasonable changes, God asked for changes that would actually improve things for the better in the long run. Instead of the system of imaginary insurance which most people used animal sacrifices for, God instead told them to use animal sacrifices for making a commitment to change their bad habits and live a better life.

Uh huh...

Old 07-28-2016, 08:36 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
I don't know of any Christian that really believes we can just kill and eat whatever animals we want because "God will make more".

I'm a deer hunter. Hunters realize that a herd needs to be managed -- we can't shoot unlimited numbers because eventually there won't be any more. Americans almost destroyed the buffalo in this country 100 or so years ago.

No one I know thinks we can do what we want to the earth, either. Farmers in my area are very particular about what they put on their fields. They realize that if they destroy it, their livelihood is destroyed.
Americans destroyed the buffalo in an attempt to exterminate the indigenous peoples..

Old 07-28-2016, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Americans destroyed the buffalo in an attempt to exterminate the indigenous peoples..

That wasn't the only reason. The white men back east decided buffalo tongue was a delicacy, so they were slaughtered for their tongues and the meat left on the prairies to rot. Pead

Old 07-29-2016, 06:42 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I realize that. It was horrible, both on a human level, as well as ecologically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity