Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2016, 01:38 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
You guys are so hilarious. It cracks me up every time you call ME a fundamentalist. Humor aside, are you blind? FIRE fell on the day of Pentecost to consume the "offering". Do you get it now? He makes us to be a burnt offering for other's sins, just as He was, which is why it says whatever sins you remit (O priest) they are remitted, ect., BECAUSE Satan cannot cast out Satan.

But I know you haven't experienced what I'm talking about, and you've thrown out the OT that shows it, so I guess it's a moot point. Without the proper foundation, they build in vain. Peace
The fire was not a literal fire that destroyed them like the fire that Elijah called down. You have no idea what the spirit is because you cannot describe the characteristics of the spirit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 01:45 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,039,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
The fire was not a literal fire that destroyed them like the fire that Elijah called down. You have no idea what the spirit is because you cannot describe the characteristics of the spirit.

You said G-d doesn't burn people up with fire. I said yes He does. Why aren't you standing up for that? Because you've ignored what Yeshua said about BOTH baptisms being necessary for all righteousness? Yet you try to tell me how much stock you put in His words, as long as it doesn't require anything of you, you mean.

If you weren't so sad, you'd be funny. You actually think because I won't parrot a particular few scriptures to pander to your fleshly demands, that means I don't know what the Spirit is. Peace

Old 08-22-2016, 01:59 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
The reason I ask is because this philosophy appears to have its roots in liberalism and the thrive agenda. Are you advocating forced or freewill compliance?

Why tie this philosophy to a religous figure? Especially, one based on a violent fictional being and his book of fiction?
To tell the truth, I have no idea what "the thrive agenda" is, but see if you can find Browning's poem Why I am a Liberal, it's kind of fun, but label can trip people up.

Compliance in the Kingdom is always freewill, otherwise it is just form and NOT commitment.

The "philosophy" is tied to a religious figure because a religion formed around Him (sort of like one did around the Buddha), but the tie to the Old Testament is merely a matter of ethnic origin and the development of a perception of the nature of God within that ethnic group.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:01 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,170,668 times
Jesus himself, tied himself to the OT. This should disqualify him as a separate philosophy.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Jesus himself, tied himself to the OT. This should disqualify him as a separate philosophy.
How do you see Jesus tying Himself to the OT?

Old 08-22-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
How do you see Jesus tying Himself to the OT?
While you are thinking about this, consider that Jesus came from a particulr ethnic background including a religion based on the literature of that ethnic group. He illustrated some of the things He taught from that literature and contradicted some of the specific teachings of that literature and especially the teachings of the religious leaders in that ethnic group which expanded on specific teachings in that literature. The "philosophy" that informs His presentation of faith and the nature of God is the culmination of one line of thought within that culture illustrated by such quotes as Micah 6:8.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:12 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,170,668 times
He participated in the Jewish religion and defended the temple. At twelve, he taught the OT in synagogue. Are you choosing to dismiss this tie?

Old 08-22-2016, 02:15 PM

looks like I was a tad slow presenting my thoughts. No, I don't dismiss it, but I also don't accept it as evidence that He was endorsing the Jewish religion. He did teach a "New Covenant" and a "New Commandment."

Old 08-22-2016, 02:22 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,039,577 times
Quote:
He participated in the Jewish religion and defended the temple. At twelve, he taught the OT in synagogue. Are you choosing to dismiss this tie?

And a rep

Old 08-22-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
The reason I ask is because this philosophy appears to have its roots in liberalism and the thrive agenda.
So, I looked up the THRIVE agenda, and all I will say is that I am not talking about a political movement or agenda, I am talking about a personal commitment. That some people see the philosophy as a basis for a utopia is mildly interesting, but not something I would care to attempt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity