Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2016, 02:31 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,170,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
looks like I was a tad slow presenting my thoughts. No, I don't dismiss it, but I also don't accept it as evidence that He was endorsing the Jewish religion. He did teach a "New Covenant" and a "New Commandment."
And not accepting this new covenant comes with a penalty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 02:37 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
And not accepting this new covenant comes with a penalty?
Certainly! You don't get to participate in the absolute BEST kind of communty.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:38 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,381,552 times
Quote:
The reason I was slow to understand this is because I've not ran into those who completely dismiss the OT. And, still believe Jesus is lord. This is cherry picking/wishfull thinking at its conclusion.

Well, at least some Christians are half way to getting it right that the OT and NT are fiction. I guess I will learn who here is practicing watered down religion overtime.
Maat we do not follow the bible, so how is it cherry picking? Jesus said he would send the comforter and that comforter would lead us into all truth.

Now if the bible is as the fundy's say ask your self this.

Why did Jesus not refer to the OT as that which would help the comforter lead us into all truth, as the OT was around at the time of Jesus.

Old 08-22-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Maat we do not follow the bible, so how is it cherry picking? Jesus said he would send the comforter and that comforter would lead us into all truth.

Now if the bible is as the fundy's say ask your self this.

Why did Jesus not refer to the OT as that which would help the comforter lead us into all truth, as the OT was around at the time of Jesus.
Jesus tied himself to the OT. He is a fictional character in the NT. Some of you guys/gals are treating him as a separate religion, which is cherry picking.

Last edited by maat55; 08-22-2016 at 03:08 PM..

Old 08-22-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Where do you get your information about Jesus from?

Old 08-22-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Is there an attempt to modernize Christianity away from the OT and ET NT doctrines and eventually construct a new bible. It would make sense because modern secularism is not accepting the old bible. I will not partake, I would rather base my morals and philosophy on reality.

Old 08-22-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Jesus tied himself to the OT. He is a fictional character in the NT. Some of you guys are treating him as a separate religion, which is cherry picking.
For arguments sake lets say Jesus did tie Himself to the OT by referring to and reading it. How does that mean that He agreed with everything that said in the OT?

Old 08-22-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
For arguments sake lets say Jesus did tie Himself to the OT by referring to and reading it. How does that mean that He agreed with everything that said in the OT?
Why would a Devine being associate, at all, with another God contrary to itself? Or, do you consider Jesus a mortal with a great philosophy?

Old 08-22-2016, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Is there an attempt to modernize Christianity away from the OT and ET NT doctrines and eventually construct a new bible. It would make sense because modern secularism is not accepting the old bible. I will not partake, I would rather base my morals and philosophy on reality.
Your still not getting it Maat. We are followers of Christ, we are not followers of Moses and Elijah and all the OT writers.

It is NOT a modernized religion it's what christian means, a follower of Christ.

Look at it this way

Jesus took Peter, James and John to the top of the mount. There on the mount Moses and Elijah appeared with Jesus. Peter spoke up and said lets build 3 tabernacles, 1 for Moses, 1 for Elijah and and while Peter was yet speaking God spoke up and said this is my beloved son HEAR HIM.

Notice God said HEAR HIM in reference to Jesus at the exclusion of Moses and Elijah or the law and the prophets.

The problem within Christianity today is people are still building tabernacles to Moses and Elijah, and they do so at the exclusion of Christ, or they try to make all 3 same the same thing.

Yet God said HEAR HIM and that is what some of us try to do.

Old 08-22-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Why would a Devine being associate, at all, with another God contrary to itself? Or, do you consider Jesus a mortal with a great philosophy?
Maat it is NOT another God, it is a WRONG VIEW of God, a view Jesus came to correct.

How did Jesus go about correcting the OT view? By referring to the OT and correcting the view wear needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity