Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 06:39 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
From post #15.

''Why is it that you can see planets with a telescope and the distant skyline but you can't see a ship or mountain dip below the curvature of the earth?''
Well, that's just it - who says you can't see a ship dip below the curvature of the Earth? Have you ever been to a seaport and watched ships sail away? That's exactly what you do see (the lower portions of the ship disappearing below the horizon until only the superstructure remains), and that's all the proof anyone needs to see that the earth is spherical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 10:17 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Timothy316 View Post
I consider dogmatism in any field of study a trap of the uneducated. Even those dogmatic to the idea that God doesn't exist and therefore rob themselves of gaining knowledge because they don't want to really find out. When a person says to themselves 'to learn that would be a waste of my time' they are choosing to be uneducated. There are no exceptions, even for atheist.
Those that don't want to find out are called Christians. Now how about you answer the question?

Old 08-19-2016, 10:22 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I don't think he is in seminary yet, he just got out of high school. In his own studies of the picture I posted and probably a ton of youtube watching he had questions I was unable to answer. I think he brought it to me because I am generally open-minded.

I didn't bother to look at the scriptures listed on the photo but brought it here instead for all the expert advice.
I'd have some serious questions for the principal of his high school, first of all.

Second...he's got a long way to go before he becomes any sort of pastor. Sure, there are "churches" that will ordain anyone that walks through the door, but I wouldn't put a lot of stock in what he says quite yet.

Does he have a church? What denomination, or type of church?

Old 08-19-2016, 10:44 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,379,980 times
Quote:
I don't think he is in seminary yet, he just got out of high school. In his own studies of the picture I posted and probably a ton of youtube watching he had questions I was unable to answer. I think he brought it to me because I am generally open-minded.

I didn't bother to look at the scriptures listed on the photo but brought it here instead for all the expert advice.
Yup, flatearther videos are all over youtube...they even have supposed former NASA employees claiming the went to a secret meeting where they were told the earth is flat...ROFL!!!

Old 08-19-2016, 12:23 PM

741 posts, read 444,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Those that don't want to find out are called Christians. Now how about you answer the question?
You already have my answer. Just because it's not what you want to hear can't be helped.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:40 PM

213 posts, read 216,618 times
Quote:
Of course he doesn't... and yes it is my brother.. thanks for your quotes. I put myself in his shoes in that thread for a reason.

He believes that the whole NASA thing is a hoax and sent me a few videos (He is YouTube generation after all). I kinda have doubts about the whole aluminum and duct tape structure landing on the moon myself but that is not the point.

What compelled him further is the biblical references to the "firmament above" etc. That is the point of this thread. If I want to debate Globe theory, I can just go back to the thread you noted I already posted on.

Any thoughts as to the scriptures noted on the photo that I can share with him?
Read Flatland, it is a small book. Then consider that the ancients did not have the words to describe reality properly. For example, the firmament being "above" might describe it as being in a forth or fifth dimension. (as in above our plane of existence) Consider also, that Angels are literally alien beings and not human.

Old 08-19-2016, 01:01 PM

213 posts, read 216,618 times
Quote:
Of course he doesn't... and yes it is my brother.. thanks for your quotes. I put myself in his shoes in that thread for a reason.

He believes that the whole NASA thing is a hoax and sent me a few videos (He is YouTube generation after all). I kinda have doubts about the whole aluminum and duct tape structure landing on the moon myself but that is not the point.

What compelled him further is the biblical references to the "firmament above" etc. That is the point of this thread. If I want to debate Globe theory, I can just go back to the thread you noted I already posted on.

Any thoughts as to the scriptures noted on the photo that I can share with him?
I witnessed all the moon landings. I remember the night that the USSR launched Sputnik and we all went outside and could see it orbit with the naked eye.

Bear in mind that the moon landings were not intended as a technical or scientific achievement. They were a political statement that the USA was better than the USSR. (You launched the first satellite, but we went to the moon!) We had telescopes back then, the Russians had telescopes too. Faking the moon landings could never work, the USSR would howl. The US would have been a laughing stock.

Old 08-19-2016, 01:06 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
I believe the earth is round. Ive never looked into the bible and its thoughts on round vs flat.

Does it really matter in the end?

Old 09-04-2016, 09:52 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Here you go Katjonjj. The following photographs were taken by the DSCOVR (Deep Space Climate Observatory) which is stationed about one million miles from earth at a stationary gravitational balance point in space between the sun and the earth called Lagrange point 1 (L1). Here is a diagram of the various Lagrangian points.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagrangian_point

The DSCOVR takes a picture of the earth every two hours and so different parts of our planet are taken with each photograph. This is photographic proof that the earth is a sphere and that it rotates.

dscovr satellite - Bing images

NASA created a time lapse video of the spinning earth over a one year period from some 3,000 photos taken by DSCOVR and can be watched here - DSCOVR: Deep Space Climate Observatory It's less than three minutes long.

The video can also be seen on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFrP6QfbC2g

Why am I posting this now? Because I was listening to some pastor last night on his website, and he said, or at least implied that he believes the sun revolves around the earth, and it really disappointed me that anyone actually believes that. So I got to thinking about this thread and decided to post the DSCOVR images, and the video, which unless you believe there is some conspiracy on the part of NASA and NOAA, is photographic proof that we live on a spherical rotating planet. Yes, the earth is a globe. Well, okay, it's an oblate spheroid because of the equatorial bulge created by the earth's rotation.

Old 09-04-2016, 10:08 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
....I was listening to some pastor last night on his website, and he said, or at least implied that he believes the sun revolves around the earth, and it really disappointed me that anyone actually believes that.
Now perhaps you understand why we atheist feel the way we do. We find it just as disappointing that people can actually believe in the existence of gods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity