Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 10:58 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Fine. Antagonist, then. Nevertheless, I was NOT referring to Cyber, with whom I agree. I should have been clear with my statement. It irritates me that there are different rules here than on the atheist board. This board is overun with those whose only motive is to bash Christians.
Not this Dude. Most of the people I love and respect are Christians, little jimmie.

I am here to reprove and correct self-righteous, judgmental, narrow-minded fundamentalists - who are a small fraction of the overall Christian community but who taint it with their bigotry and hatred.

I'm on a mission from the real God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 11:04 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,388,856 times
Quote:
Fine. Antagonist, then. Nevertheless, I was NOT referring to Cyber, with whom I agree. I should have been clear with my statement. It irritates me that there are different rules here than on the atheist board. This board is overun with those whose only motive is to bash Christians.
Well, if you are irritated by this forum or how it's managed, Cyber's advice to go to your happy place instead might be apropos.

Old 08-27-2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Well, if you are irritated by this forum or how it's managed, Cyber's advice to go to your happy place instead might be apropos.
By the way, that was a serious suggestion, jimmie. This is one of the few forums I know of where people like myself are not banished to a dark corner. But for yourself, there are a plethora of Christian-operated forums on the internet which confine non-Christians, or Christians with a non-fundamentalist view, to one or two sub-forums. You could go to any one of those, or all of those, and participate to your heart's content, and pleasantly discuss (or argue nastily, as I saw many Christians do on those forums) with other like-minded Christians to your heart's content.

So, why do you want this forum to be a replica of all those others, jimmie, and why does it irritate you that it's not?

Old 08-27-2016, 11:26 AM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
By the way, that was a serious suggestion, jimmie. This is one of the few forums I know of where people like myself are not banished to a dark corner. But for yourself, there are a plethora of Christian-operated forums on the internet which confine non-Christians, or Christians with a non-fundamentalist view, to one or two sub-forums. You could go to any one of those, or all of those, and participate to your heart's content, and pleasantly discuss (or argue nastily, as I saw many Christians do on those forums) with other like-minded Christians to your heart's content.

So, why do you want this forum to be a replica of all those others, jimmie, and why does it irritate you that it's not?
Because I'd like to discuss Christianity w/o being bashed by non-Christians.

Old 08-27-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Did you actually read my post? Why come here when you have so many other options which offer you the protection that you want.

Old 08-27-2016, 11:41 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,042,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Jesus provided and intended the Holy Spirit to teach the individual in His place.
The individual must be repentant, and yielded to Jesus Lordship, to begin with .
Anything out side this, is pure academics based on speculation.
If I say car you think of a car your familiar with I think of one I am familiar with.
When the Holy Spirit teaches ,He knows the individuals background and the framework they have formed their lives.
Problem is God does not compromise wit liars and deceivers ,and there is nothing He can say they will listen to .
Jesus said, "blessed are they that do hunger and thirst after righteousness for they shall be filled." This means desperation , not compromising scriptures to fit one's own agendas.
Jesus example of righteousness ,is obedience to the Father .
Jesus examination of the believer is obedience to the Father, Matthew 7; 21,22,23,
This obedience, is via the Holy Spirit Jesus provided to teach in His place, which according to Jesus, the world cannot receive.

Being carnal the eternal values of right living with God are illusive, because you enjoy the freedom of your own way, in God's perspective, rebellion.
Sin is the product of the absence of God's influence ,choosing the influence of some one else .even self .
Proof text, Genesis 3; Adam and Eve, and most all of scriptures.
But in the life of one cooperative with God ,miraculous, and genuine hope for the future, and a purpose in eternity, more than being on vacation .
IMO those that focus on scriptures, are not focusing on a relationship , some of those are afraid of a relationship because God might actually ask them to do something the don't want to do, Much like Jonah .
Though Jonah was right and Nineveh went back into sin , God demonstrated mercy, sending Jonah there, to offer then the opportunity to repent, but they were superficial .much like many in our day .
The judgment Jonah knew Nineveh was destined for, happened, but no one there could say they were never offered a chance to repent honestly.
Years ago my son had gotten involved with troubled kids, and I warned him not to do so, consequences would be forth coming, and I would not be able to do any thing about rescuing him from those consequences .
Eventually he figured out I was looking out for his best interest and abandoned the group .
The warning paid off, though I was unpopular at the time initially .
Another event occurred and I warned him about the consequences of certain women and the tendency in their culture to make life miserable , but as matters of emotion, it's hard for a young man to resist affection, till the stinger that's been hidden, is revealed.
He eventually got out of that situation, but it was not easy.
I am proud of Him he has become a good man ,and probably become a better man than I .
God instructs me much the same way, and though I may fail from time to time ,I discipline my self to do better, seeking after His point of view.
The things that are recorded, Jesus taught, are of the most significant value to me.
Any suggestions from other men, are only that, suggestions.
More important is knowing what God wants of me ,day by day, and at times ,moment by moment.
Yes ,He is that interested.
Am I greedy, wanting all this attention ? Yes .
But there are so very few that want His attention.
It's not like I'm taking up time others are demanding of Him.
God is not bound to time ,and He is extraordinary , and that is something I have kind of gotten use to .
But I try not to take Him for granted .

And a rep finally

Old 08-27-2016, 11:56 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,695,693 times
Quote:
I was NOT referring to you, but rather the atheists that frequent this board.
Thank goodness, my heart was broken thinking you thought such a thing !

My experience with one who claims to be a genuine atheist have always been a good thing around here . Never had any problem but respect from them even gotten a few reps come my way from them .

BUT these individuals with this nasty, hostile atheistic attitude toward the christian, God and His word around here these days are truly giving an genuine atheist a bad reputation .

And yet with these others that have behaved so rudely and turn around refer to themselves as christian, believer, christ, god followers whatever with such hostility within themselves and I'm not talking about L8Gr8Apost8 either as he/she doesn't seem to have or come off with that kind of heart !

But these other such individuals are just plain mean spirited and have no idea of the love of Christ nor what agape love really is and stands for period ! Anyone can google the love of God and come here and post with false pretense in the heart and try too fool ppl .

But my God will reveal the true spirit of one's character sooner or later as we have been experiencing here lately with some that have tried to pull the wool over other's eyes !

Quote:
Amen, and this place use to be that way that is be able to discuss Christianity and actually was a pretty pleasant place to come and do just that until we have been taken over by such dark spirit !

Blessings to you , jimmiej
Thanks for clearing things up !

Old 08-27-2016, 11:58 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,711,531 times
Quote:
No, jimmie, you come here to find reinforcement of your flawed belief system of the BIBLE. It has nothing to do with Christ.

Jesus interpreted Scripture to fit the moment, not in some unchangeable means the same thing over and over idea. So did Paul. So did Matthew. As far as we know, nobody in that time frame had problems with Scripture being interpreted to fit their culture. They even twisted Scripture so that it said what it didn't originally say because the message being delivered was important for their current culture.

What you nor the OP understand is that the entire OT was summarized by Jesus and that summary didn't mention sin once--not once. It did mention agape love. But you and the other "lovers of pointing fingers" are concerned about sin. So were the Pharisees.

Please show us where Jesus was angry with anyone except His day's "bible-believers." And they were completely dedicated to that Bible. They tithed. They left gleanings in their field for the poor. They prayed at the appropriate times. They attended the synagogue. They memorized Scripture--and yet none of them questioned Jesus about his unorthodox interpretation of Scripture because it was a common practice understood by common men. The Pharisees were fine men concerned with pointing out the sin of the masses.

The interpretation of Scripture has always been a moving target--always. It may have meant one thing to the original writers, but it meant something else to later writers as Paul and Matthew and the author of Hebrews understood OT writing. Even the OT writers such as Daniel didn't always understand the hidden meaning in Scripture and had to be "advised" by the Spirit as to what it truly meant. They did not interpret it literally.

Now I can list example after example, but what is the point? Your belief system is wrapped up in literal words, just like the Pharisees and Sadducees. Only AFTER the Spirit of God comes upon one is he/she able to see beyond the sacred page.

You and cowdog are dedicated bibliolators, such that you will search for an "explanation" to anything that does not agree with your interpretation, regardless that interpretations have been revised again and again over the centuries. And you will give the weight of Scripture to the "explanation," rather than accept that that interpretation was and will again be revised.

If the OT is all about pointing to Christ, why then do you and others insist on interpreting Christ by what is written in the OT rather than interpreting the OT by the one it points towards? It can only be because to you if one jot or tittle is understod anew, your belief system collapses.

Old 08-27-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
Thank goodness, my heart was broken thinking you thought such a thing !

My experience with one who claims to be a genuine atheist have always been a good thing around here . Never had any problem but respect from them even gotten a few reps come my way from them .

BUT these individuals with this nasty, hostile atheistic attitude toward the christian, God and His word around here these days are truly giving an genuine atheist a bad reputation .

And yet with these others that have behaved so rudely and turn around refer to themselves as christian, believer, christ, god followers whatever with such hostility within themselves and I'm not talking about L8Gr8Apost8 either as he/she doesn't seem to have or come off with that kind of heart !

But these other such individuals are just plain mean spirited and have no idea of the love of Christ nor what agape love really is and stands for period ! Anyone can google the love of God and come here and post with false pretense in the heart and try too fool ppl .

But my God will reveal the true spirit of one's character sooner or later as we have been experiencing here lately with some that have tried to pull the wool over other's eyes !

Amen, and this place use to be that way that is be able to discuss Christianity and actually was a pretty pleasant place to come and do just that until we have been taken over by such dark spirit !

Blessings to you , jimmiej
Thanks for clearing things up !
Okay, about the "nastiness" issue that you raised in another post to me (and expanded on here) Cyber. There's a lot of water under the bridge between you and I, so maybe it's not possible for us to discuss this in a way that is beneficial, but I'm going to give it a go...

To me, Cyber, it seems that you assume that my entire motivation for being here is to make your (general fundamentalist-type Christian "your") lives difficult, or to tick you off, or some other nefarious purpose. In reality, that is not my motivation AT ALL and I am just as passionate about the discussions I participate in here as I assume you are.

I put up with what I perceive as nastiness from various Christians on this forum, because I like the freedom I have to discuss things here, which I didn't find in most other places. I also seldom take the insults which are directed at me to heart, because I assume the insults are just a by-product of emotions that flare up. In other words, I don't assume someone is nasty at their core simply because they sometimes say some nasty things, or that their main purpose on the forum is to hurt others, or me personally. I think most people here are sincere and passionate about their beliefs, and that emotions run high in situations where those beliefs are being discussed.

Can you and I find any common ground in this do you think, Cyber? Can we agree to start with the assumption that neither of us comes here with the goal of harming others with our words, even if we both sometimes say things that come off that way? Could we start there?

Old 08-27-2016, 12:06 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
But you don't discuss Christianity. I've asked you several question in the last few days that you've ignored. You are either unwilling to discuss Christianity or I'm on your now-famous ignore list. Right now I'll go with both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity