Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 05:30 PM

15,803 posts, read 6,261,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marakorpa View Post
I am sorry you feel that way. What subject did I change, I'll get right back on it for you.
He is a JW apologist. He was talking to you referring to others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 05:37 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,088,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
You rang?

For my sister's birthday I am making my flour-less Chocolate Cloud Roll.

The night before, I will slowly melt a dark Belgian 72% chocolate. and make a lighter than air chocolate mousse filling, with cream from Rosie; a grass-fed and finished local beauty.

I will dust this ethereal creation with Droste cocoa , and serve it with lightly sweetened whipped cream.

After your very first bite, you will wonder how it disappeared with barely a taste. On the second bite, you will think, how does chocolate taste so light and clean?

We will finish the evening with your recommended tequila I had to order it. Can't wait.

Youse guys would love this lighter than air cake. Food for the Gods I tell ya. Youse should taste my NewYawk Cheese Cake. mmmm [CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Seductress!

Old 08-31-2016, 06:09 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,019,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
You rang?

For my sister's birthday I am making my flour-less Chocolate Cloud Roll.

The night before, I will slowly melt a dark Belgian 72% chocolate. and make a lighter than air chocolate mousse filling, with cream from Rosie; a grass-fed and finished local beauty.

I will dust this ethereal creation with Droste cocoa , and serve it with lightly sweetened whipped cream.

After your very first bite, you will wonder how it disappeared with barely a taste. On the second bite, you will think, how does chocolate taste so light and clean?

We will finish the evening with your recommended tequila I had to order it. Can't wait.

Youse guys would love this lighter than air cake. Food for the Gods I tell ya. Youse should taste my NewYawk Cheese Cake. mmmm [CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Sounds like by the third bite you're wondering if the baker would notice if the whole thing suddenly went missing right after she turned her head away because you pointed at the stove and screamed "FIRE!" Hey, it could happen...

Serious skills you got.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:19 PM

27,996 posts, read 29,823,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTexasGuy View Post
Any one can take any passage in the bible and take it out context or find a reason to make it their doctrine. Why do some Mormons have multiple wives?
I'm sorry, but when I read comments like this, I can't help but wonder if I'm seeing an intentional desire to misrepresent the facts or just ignorance at work. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has a membership today of 15.6 million. The Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (which is a different group entirely) has a membership of perhaps 40,000 at the most, making it .25% (that's not 25%, but a quarter of 1%!) the size of the Church commonly (although inaccurately) referred to as the "Mormon Church." When people say things like "some Mormons have multiple wives," it is very misleading and can easily confuse those people who might actually prefer accurate information to falsehoods. Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints do not practice polygamy and haven't for well over 130 years. As a matter of fact, do to so is an excommunicable offense.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:07 PM

88,293 posts, read 84,292,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Not evil, But where I live the expression "bless you" can also have a negative connotation.

Sorry to hear you are sick, get well soon.
You must be a Southerner. I've heard about that! I'm heading down to North Carolina on the weekend, and I'm going to watch out for anyone trying to bless my heart.

Thanks. Feeling better now.

Old 09-01-2016, 12:33 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,143,615 times
Secular publications are at times good sources for answers about religious practices when free of dogma. The changes in practices that were introduced at later periods in the Christian church were, in part, motivated by a desire to ease conversion of pagans to Christianity. Intuitively, the practice of Christians early in the history of the faith would provide a better understanding of what Jesus and the apostles believed and taught.

"Due to the belief that humans are born with original sin and the fact that early birthdays were tied to pagan gods, the Christian Church considered birthday celebrations evil for the first few hundred years of its existence. Around the fourth century Christians changed their minds and began to celebrate the birthday of Jesus as the holiday of Christmas. The new celebration was accepted into the church partly in hopes of recruiting those already celebrating the Roman holiday of Saturnalia."-http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/11/history-of-birthdays_n_4227366.html

Do people who identify as Christians recognize the importance of what Jesus said in John 4:24?

Old 09-01-2016, 12:42 AM

63,568 posts, read 39,855,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Amen! Benighted nonsense. What a bunch of sad losers JW's are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marakorpa View Post
You wont have too long to see if you are correct....Then what if you ain't?
Seriously???? There isn't a smidgen of logic, reason, and understanding of God's' true nature as revealed and unambiguously demonstrated by Jesus. JW's are trapped under the veil of ignorance over reasing the OT and cannot seem to escape.

Old 09-01-2016, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Amen! Benighted nonsense. What a bunch of sad losers JW's are.
Mystic PhD is the name and "agape love" is his game...right, right.

Old 09-01-2016, 01:07 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,103,864 times
OP: Who exactly decided that there were *errors* being taught by Catholics?
Perhaps those who just did not want to follow the part of the Catholic Religion they did not like?
Just because you don't like it or agree with it does not ensure there have been *errors* in the teaching, it merely means your own ideas are not in alignment with those of others.

Old 09-01-2016, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTexasGuy View Post
They claim all their beliefs are biblical, and I believe they very well may be, but their doctrines appear to be from hand picked traditions from scripture in order to create their own doctrine. I understand they also have a slightly different translation which they use. One of the versus that is different that really got me was John 1:1. I have always know for it to read " In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God"................The version JW use reads "in the beginning was the Word, and Word was with God, and the Word was a god."

I try not to be judgmental of folks, but these are important translations of who Jesus Christ was and is.
What did Jesus say about himself?

"You heard me say to you, ‘I am going away, and I am coming to you.’ If you loved me, you would rejoice that I am going to the Father, because the Father is greater than I."- John 14:28

" Jesus said to her, “Do not hold on to me, because I have not yet ascended to the Father. But go to my brothers and say to them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’”-John 20:17

If Jesus was the almighty God why did he not know?

“But about that day and hour no one knows, neither the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father."-Matthew 24:36

What did the apostle Paul write about the future time when Christ has vanquished all enemies of his and his Father. Notice the relationship between the Son and the Father:

"Then comes the end, when he hands over the kingdom to God the Father, after he has destroyed every ruler and every authority and power. 25 For he must reign until he has put all his enemies under his feet. 26 The last enemy to be destroyed is death. 27 For “God has put all things in subjection under his feet.” But when it says, “All things are put in subjection,” it is plain that this does not include the one who put all things in subjection under him. When all things are subjected to him, then the Son himself will also be subjected to the one who put all things in subjection under him, so that God may be all in all. - 1 Corinthians 15:24-28

Isn't interesting how various translations eliminated God's name from the Bible? Notice what the editors of the revised King James Bible wrote:

"We are glad that we are not part of the mainstream of society that has no regard for the name Jehovah, because it is true that They, that is, almost every translator in the past 400 years has or have removed the Divine Name from 'their' Bibles—and the DNKJB, as we like to call it, is ready without being mean-spirited, to expose that truth.

To help others understand the issues surrounding the removal of the Divine Name it is best not to report that They have put the name back into the Bible, as if anyone should really care what They think. Instead say― "Does it not make sense that the Divine Name should never have been removed from the Bible by anyone at anytime. But did you know that without any biblical basis or basis in archeology most Bible translators have removed God's own name from your King James Bible and most other modern English Bibles? Here let me show you just how many times it has been removed."-http://dnkjb.net/faq_dnkjb_online.htm#is_jehovah_valid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity