Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 10:24 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,572,581 times

Advertisements

First of all, let me say I'm feeling particularly spiritual today and full of hope. This site appears to be a great place to express that even if it's not accepted. I noticed some say that John Hagee scares them, but I really enjoy his sermons. Coming from a family that attended churches with similar preachers with booming voices, I feel right at home listening to John Hagee. I can understand though, why he might scare some not accustomed to that style. I only recently discovered him, and have been watching ever since.

I believe wholeheartedly that we are in the last days before the rapture, and I can't wait for that to happen. If you believe these things, then you would not experience fear when listening to someone like John Hagee - it would be great hope and anticipation. I haven't always felt this way - just 2 years ago I would have switched channels - lightning speed. Now, nothing on this earth can sway my beliefs.

So, who do I watch on T.V.? Dr. Don Wilton and Dr. Charles Stanley, (both on the inspiration channel) and John Hagee. Also, Joyce Meyer. I didn't know quite what to think of her at first, but have grown to love her and believe her ministry is for real.

I had a discussion with a non-believer on-line a while back, and he absolutely disagreed with me, being an atheist. But, he did say that he admired my unwavering commitment and belief, and was actually envious of the fact I believed in something so adamantly and without any doubt whatsoever!! I believe that is the best witness or testimony we could give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 07:35 PM

76 posts, read 186,753 times
DayoftheLord:
Be careful, your pride may be deceiving you. John Hagee does not scare me a little bit and his booming voice IMO is full of anger, bitterness and arrogance. I have yet to hear him preach with a tear in his voice or a burden for lost souls. He yells and screams at the top of his lungs and uses the Word of God as a club to beat people into submission to his own beliefs.
Mr. Hagee is wrong on so many accounts and really needs to go back and re-read the Word of God.
On another note, I would say that most people who are yelling "amen" and clapping in approval with him after he pronounces a scathing remark against the world and sinners, are actually saying, "amen, preach it ... at them" ... and not applying the stated opinion to themselves.
Many false prophets are gone out into the world to deceive many. Are you one who is among the deceived? Do you think you are too smart to be deceived? Can well meaning christians be deceived?

Old 05-18-2008, 07:44 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,082,616 times
A big problem in American Christianity today is that new Christians aren't discipled into mature Christians. The entertainment and convenience driven society has crept into our churches and made people lazy. Many Christians today are like the Israelites that Moses led into the wilderness. They wanted Moses to seek God for them. They wanted to learn from Moses, instead of from God, for themselves.

It's the same today. Self-professing Christians won't spend the time to develop a relationship with their Father outside of a 10 minute devotional and praying their wish lists to Him. They want to learn about the Bible from others who say what they like to hear instead of searching the scriptures for themselves, trusting the Holy Spirit, who is THE Teacher.

If we spent time in the Word for ourselves, developing our own relationship with God, we would have discernment and would know who is preaching false doctrines and who is preaching the gospel. It would be evident to us and we wouldn't need 10 page threads to argue and try to figure out who is OK to listen to and who isn't.

As a result, people fall prey to false teachings from the likes of Kenneth Copeland, Benny Hinn, John Hagee, TBN, Joyce Meyer, Joel Osteen and a whole host of others that have viewerships into the millions.

2 Timothy 3

1 You should know this, Timothy, that in the last days there will be very difficult times. 2 For people will love only themselves and their money. They will be boastful and proud, scoffing at God, disobedient to their parents, and ungrateful. They will consider nothing sacred. 3 They will be unloving and unforgiving; they will slander others and have no self-control. They will be cruel and hate what is good. 4 They will betray their friends, be reckless, be puffed up with pride, and love pleasure rather than God. 5 They will act religious, but they will reject the power that could make them godly. Stay away from people like that!
6 They are the kind who work their way into people’s homes and win the confidence of[a] vulnerable women who are burdened with the guilt of sin and controlled by various desires. 7 (Such women are forever following new teachings, but they are never able to understand the truth.) 8 These teachers oppose the truth just as Jannes and Jambres opposed Moses. They have depraved minds and a counterfeit faith. 9 But they won’t get away with this for long. Someday everyone will recognize what fools they are, just as with Jannes and Jambres.

10 But you, Timothy, certainly know what I teach, and how I live, and what my purpose in life is. You know my faith, my patience, my love, and my endurance. 11 You know how much persecution and suffering I have endured. You know all about how I was persecuted in Antioch, Iconium, and Lystra—but the Lord rescued me from all of it. 12 Yes, and everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution. 13 But evil people and impostors will flourish. They will deceive others and will themselves be deceived.
14 But you must remain faithful to the things you have been taught. You know they are true, for you know you can trust those who taught you. 15 You have been taught the holy Scriptures from childhood, and they have given you the wisdom to receive the salvation that comes by trusting in Christ Jesus. 16 All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. 17 God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work.

Last edited by Simple Living; 05-18-2008 at 07:58 PM.. Reason: Forgot an "is."

Old 05-18-2008, 07:55 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,082,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostball View Post
Many false prophets are gone out into the world to deceive many. Are you one who is among the deceived? Do you think you are too smart to be deceived? Can well meaning christians be deceived?
EVERY person who calls themselves a Christian needs to ask themselves these questions and test what they believe against the scriptures.
Pride and a haughty spirit - and the lack of total dependence on God - will cause a person to believe they can't be deceived.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:03 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,521,307 times
Mack Lyon....In Search of the Lord's Way....Edmond, Oklahoma, (and world wide), and you will never hear anyone there asking for money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity