Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 09:46 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,138,296 times

Advertisements

I have always looked at TBN on and off and one thing that stands out is the massive size of many of these church buildings.

If the purpose of the biblical tithe was for the poor, fatherless, widows, the Levites, and to save for the biblical Feasts, where did the teaching come from of a 10% tithe is now monetary and then any sort of special offering should be separate from the tithe.

Im all for giving to support and spread the gospel, but I think most offerings now a days is to pay all of the churches overhead and utilities and wonder if it is truly helping the poor, widows, orphans vs just paying the churches bills and being told to give more because it all belongs to God anyways.

Is it right to have a massive structure that can cost millions up to a hundreds million dollars and then rely on all the members to pay the mortgage for the building and if you want to speed up the payment, to tell hem to give even more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 10:04 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
The size, opulence and entertainment/program emphasis of many churches (versus missions and outreach) sometimes seems out of balance.

The staff, utilities and mortgage of a church, like any public "business" must still be paid ... even though some imagine otherwise. The ancient tithe also fed and supported the priests. As pointed out in 1 Timothy 5:18, "The worker is worthy of his wage."

I've examined the budgets and giving of different churches and have seen some who consider missions and outreach "discretionary spending" - after everything else is paid. IMO, church missions and outreach should be budgeted first --- and the congregation should be told that the A/C will have to be turned-off if there isn't enough to pay the bill AFTER missions and outreach. The fixed M&O budget should be no less than the percentage expected from members in "tithes and gifts."

Churches that give first, generally have less difficulty with 'getting,' than those who feed themselves first. (I've found the same in our personal life ... Our financial 'problems' have usually reflected a 'giving' not an income problem. You can't outgive God).

Old 09-08-2016, 10:20 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,845,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Is it right to have a massive structure that can cost millions up to a hundreds million dollars and then rely on all the members to pay the mortgage for the building and if you want to speed up the payment, to tell hem to give even more?

No, I don't think this is right. spreading Christ's message takes humility, not extravagance.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:29 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,442,558 times
Funny how it works!

Old 09-08-2016, 10:35 AM

1,606 posts, read 1,254,005 times
I believe that it is important for believers to have a building where they can conduct Bible teaching, baptisms and storage and distribution of goods and services to the poor. That being said, this building, much like ourselves, should not draw attention to itself by its extravagance. It should be the love and generosity of the people that make a church shine, not the coffee shop, bookstore and new expanded narthex.

As Jesus taught in Matthew 5:16, "Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven."

I think the phrase 'in such a way' is important. It means that in all you do, you should reflect the praise and glory off of yourself and onto God, who works through you. I believe this also applies to a church building.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:38 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,699 times
IMO, churches are more about being fellowship cults than serving the needs of the needy or providing an affordable option to secular education. Now that I'm atheist, I'm glad they do not provide education. I would have more respect for Christianity if it provided more charity for the truly needy.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:14 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
No, I don't think this is right. spreading Christ's message takes humility, not extravagance.
You are soooo right.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:16 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
IMO, churches are more about being fellowship cults than serving the needs of the needy or providing an affordable option to secular education. Now that I'm atheist, I'm glad they do not provide education. I would have more respect for Christianity if it provided more charity for the truly needy.
Scripturally "Churches" were not to feed the poor and help the needy, each Christian was to do that and .... in secret. The ekklesia/church was for the instruction and encouragement, as an "institution", and at times to help fellow believers.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:45 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,138,296 times
I attended a church once where the mortgage was $10,000 a month for the 2 buildings. It was only a bit over 100 members, but the pastor had a vision that God would expand. Now I hear that church is down to 40-60 people weekly, but still has both of these building and the pastor still has the same vision that God will expand and give more members. So you pretty much have 30-40 adults and donations here and there trying to keep up this $10k mortgage, the pastor pretty much preaches for free, the choir director/praise and worship works for free, the church secretary works for free as well too. When things break, you hear, you need to give more or make sacrifices, etc.

Anyone would say just sell other building on the adjacent property, but the Pastor still has this vision that God may entrust the congregation with 100 more members even though his vision has been the same for years and its less people now.

Last edited by SAAN; 09-08-2016 at 12:19 PM..

Old 09-08-2016, 03:09 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Scripturally "Churches" were not to feed the poor and help the needy, each Christian was to do that and .... in secret. The ekklesia/church was for the instruction and encouragement, as an "institution", and at times to help fellow believers.
Which is fine. Religions get to define their expenses. I just don't agree with their decision and will not fund them. There are plenty of other outlets that better use funds. Of which, some are faith based. I still give to a faith based ministry in Tulsa. Its mission is housing, feeding and clothing the needy. I've never was a fan of how the church system works. Seems like a big waste of resources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity