Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 08:11 PM

14,647 posts, read 16,997,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Did YOU translate that or did someone do it for you? Honest answer please.

What about those who stand by the KJV, for example? Did someone translate this for them? Did we translate any of the Bibles that we have? How many of us are Greek scholars? Even the scholars disagree at times. This is why I use several translations to compare and look to see how the words are used in the scriptures and pray for understanding
Quote:
I am Greek and I will try to respond:

Quote:
I have zero knowledge of Greek, Hebrew, and very little English & French. I did however have a Greek girlfriend, and we watched My Big Fat Greek Wedding together. Does that count?

Birdy, you are too funny!
God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 02-22-2008 at 08:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 06:45 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
What about those who stand by the KJV, for example? Did someone translate this for them? Did we translate any of the Bibles that we have? How many of us are Greek scholars? Even the scholars disagree at times. This is why I use several translations to compare and look to see how the words are used in the scriptures and pray for understanding
God bless.
I am in agreement that no English translation has a lock on "it". And for that matter no one scholar does on Greek either. I can quote Geoffey Bromley, Gerhard Kittle, Bruce Metzger, Joseph Fitzmeyer, Hans Kung, David Aune, Leon Morris, Gerhard Friedrich etc etc works that directly contradict yours. Now what?

What I consistently find is whenever there is a "divide" in scripture most CU's who can't read a lick of Greek whip out 100 pages of Greek commentary and then proceed to tell me what the Greek actually says even though scores of scholars who did the initial translation/s thought differently. THAT rings a loud bell and frankly has been the calling card of many cults, heresey's and warped leaders over the centuries.

For instance, regarding the NIV:
More than 100 scholars from six English-speaking countries, as well as editors and English stylists, worked on the NIV. The scholars represented more than 20 denominations.

In the 17th century, King James translators worked from the Erasmus Greek text of the New Testament. Erasmus had six Greek manuscripts from which to work. NIV translators work from more than 5,000 complete or partial manuscripts and papyri.

It took 10 years to complete the NIV translation. The process started in 1968 and finished in 1978. This does not include more than 10 years of planning before 1968.

The system for editing each book is one of the distinctive features of the NIV. The procedure was as follows:

Initial Translation Team
Intermediate Editorial Committee
General Editorial Committee
Stylist and Critics
Executive Committee (or Committee on Bible Translation)
Final Stylistic Review
Executive Committee's Final Reading
The NIV was created and is maintained with the mandate to accurately and faithfully translate the original Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic biblical texts into clearly understandable English.

So who do I believe. One person who can't read or write a word of Greek (And even if they could...) sourcing one or two unknown author's work or 100 scholars representing 20 denominations who worked over TEN YEARS with the serious charge of creating a new English translation?

Old 02-23-2008, 02:56 PM

14,647 posts, read 16,997,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown
God bless.

I am in agreement that no English translation has a lock on "it". And for that matter no one scholar does on Greek either. I can quote Geoffey Bromley, Gerhard Kittle, Bruce Metzger, Joseph Fitzmeyer, Hans Kung, David Aune, Leon Morris, Gerhard Friedrich etc etc works that directly contradict yours. Now what?
Quote:
Even the scholars disagree at times.
Quote:
What I consistently find is whenever there is a "divide" in scripture most CU's who can't read a lick of Greek whip out 100 pages of Greek commentary and then proceed to tell me what the Greek actually says even though scores of scholars who did the initial translation/s thought differently.
Who did the initial translations of the original manuscripts?

Quote:
THAT rings a loud bell and frankly has been the calling card of many cults, heresey's and warped leaders over the centuries.

More than 100 scholars from six English-speaking countries, as well as editors and English stylists, worked on the NIV. The scholars represented more than 20 denominations.
In the 17th century, King James translators worked from the Erasmus Greek text of the New Testament. Erasmus had six Greek manuscripts from which to work. NIV translators work from more than 5,000 complete or partial manuscripts and papyri.
It took 10 years to complete the NIV translation. The process started in 1968 and finished in 1978. This does not include more than 10 years of planning before 1968.
The system for editing each book is one of the distinctive features of the NIV. The procedure was as follows:
Initial Translation Team
Stylist and Critics
Final Stylistic Review
The NIV was created and is maintained with the mandate to accurately and faithfully translate the original Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic biblical texts into clearly understandable English.
So who do I believe. One person who can't read or write a word of Greek (And even if they could...) sourcing one or two unknown author's work or 100 scholars representing 20 denominations who worked over TEN YEARS with the serious charge of creating a new English translation?
?

I don't know who is citing one or 2 unknown author's works, J'Viello. Some of the authors may be unknown to some but well known to others. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 02-23-2008 at 04:15 PM.. Reason: fixed quote

Old 05-11-2008, 04:31 PM

1,897 posts, read 3,480,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post

What I consistently find is whenever there is a "divide" in scripture most CU's who can't read a lick of Greek whip out 100 pages of Greek commentary and then proceed to tell me what the Greek actually says even though scores of scholars who did the initial translation/s thought differently. THAT rings a loud bell and frankly has been the calling card of many cults, heresey's and warped leaders over the centuries.

Initial Translation Team
Stylist and Critics
Final Stylistic Review

Hi JViello: I just came upon this post. Since it is dated back in February, I'm not sure anyone is still interested in the topic. I would like to add this, however. I studied both Greek and Hebrew in seminary and graduated summa *** laude. I studied under Dr. Daniel B. Wallace, author of "Greek Grammar: Beyond the Basics." Having said that, let me add that the entire experience has humbly taught me how little I know. Even after those years of study, I am far from being a scholar in either of the languages. I do, however, still study them and I do personal translations in my Bible study time.

People need to remember that in all languages there are semantics and nuances that cannot be ascertained from a simple word-for-word translation. However, I do not think it is necessarily wrong for people to undertake words study as long as they understand that they are accepting the findings of others who may or may not be accurate in their understandings. As you have correctly pointed out, even scholars disagree.

I am curious, though, JViello, whether you know modern Greek, classical Greek, or koine Greek? Or maybe a combination of some of them. Clearly, there are differences among the three.

Hope you're still around. Thanks!

In Christ, Preterist

Old 05-11-2008, 09:53 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,518,212 times
So, explain this to me...there are at least 9 differant Hebrew words in the Old Testament that are translated 'love' in the KJV. Can you tell me just by reading the KJV the differances in those words? Since our 'english' language uses the word 'love' for so many differant meanings, why did the Hebrew have so many differant words for differant meanings? And what is wrong with researching to find out what the Hebrew meaning really was? What I am trying to say is: our language has only the one word that was used to translate 9 differant words. I do not think that is significant enough to cause a misunderstanding of the scriptures, at least for those who believe that the book called the Bible is the word of God. It may be a cause for those who refuse to accept it as the word of God. Researching the original language may be means of a way to answer those who need a better understanding. " Come now, let us reason together, says the Lord ." Isaiah 1:18
We can not have too much knowledge of the word of God !

BTW, my Analytical Greek Lexicon is Zondervan...seventh printing 1972.
I do not have a Hebrew lexicon...just a Young's Analytical Concordance to the Bible, 1973 reprint. I bought them both new about 6 years after I obeyed the gospel. I believed in searching the scriptures to see if what I was being taught was accurate. ( Acts 17:11) And I still feel the same way.

I have no formal education on either the Hebrew or the Greek, but I trust that the scholars who edited those books did have, just as I trust that the editors of the bibles that I use did. I also believe that God saw to it that all that we need to know has been preserved , and will continue to be preserved.

I am completely out of my realm attempting to reason with you all...but my love for God and His word compels me to try. Espacially since I am one of the ones who has posted about what Greek words are translated 'love" in the New Testament.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:01 PM

105 posts, read 350,603 times
Ooh, this will be an interesting one.

-Proud Protestant

Old 05-12-2008, 12:00 PM

BTW, for the info of all the proud Catholics, among my several translations of the New Testament is the Confraternity.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbassadorNY View Post
Ooh, this will be an interesting one.

-Proud Protestant
Say what?? Is that aimed at my post???

Old 08-15-2008, 11:12 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,253,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Very good post!

We can feel alot safer about the original translation of the Bible than we can about translations by later scholars who are simply trying to find words that fit their agenda.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:07 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preterist View Post
I am curious, though, JViello, whether you know modern Greek, classical Greek, or koine Greek? Or maybe a combination of some of them. Clearly, there are differences among the three.

Hope you're still around. Thanks!

In Christ, Preterist
Just saw this. I studied Koine but it has melded into a blend of several periods now. I'm no expert, just a novice with enough knowledge about the gun to know how to get it to fire.

Good post on your part.

Hope YOU are still around! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Very good post!

We can feel alot safer about the original translation of the Bible than we can about translations by later scholars who are simply trying to find words that fit their agenda.
Thanks CG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity