Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 05:48 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
They have both run into financial problems with illness and job loss. My daughter has been working including OT, but her wife hasn't and had major surgery recently. They have been getting food from a local church pantry. When my daughter told them that their rent is in arrears, the church paid their rent for one month (well over $1,000 in NY).

My husband and I are retired, have our own financial problems, and live 1,000 miles away. I consider myself an Agnostic as a former Catholic, but I am very impressed with this. Married Lesbian Couple? Catholic Church helping them out without any lectures? Perhaps, Pope Francis is changing the Church?

I did not know whether to post this here or in the Religion section.

With no strings attached.
Unlike government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 05:58 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Happy to hear this story. All churches survive tax free so they need to help. I'm not a great lover of any religion but happy to hear this story.

My daughter thinks I should try to get assistance like food stamps as I do live on very little income and high rent and auto expense, but I'm stretching things out. The govt spend trillions on killing and why not get some help for living.
My local church has our benevolence fund. We help out members and attenders in need. Doesn't hurt to check it out, everybody needs help every once in while. No worries.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:39 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Married Lesbian Couple? Catholic Church helping them out without any lectures? .
On this,

As a Christian, I believe it is useless to 'lecture' because religion is a personal relationship with God. It is probably not productive to debate if it is a sin or not, the answer to this is quite obvious.

I personally won't touch the subject of eternal salvation with a ten foot pole.

Helping them financially is charity, it is love, it is Christianity all about. That is my take on this.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:45 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
I'm a fallen away Catholic with plenty of complaints, but I'm not at all surprised by this. They don't care who comes to their door seeking help, most Catholic churches and people will be willing to help.

They may gossip about you after mass on Sunday, but they'll be there to help.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:45 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthrope83 View Post
Imagine that. "christians" are being hypocrites. Say and believe one thing and do another. Just 1 small reason I left the church and the religion over a decade ago.
Because they love their neighbor and do what Jesus would do?

I hope you find the sufficiently hateful religion you're looking for.

Maybe try Satanism?

Oh wait, no...even they advocate being decent people.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:45 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
They have both run into financial problems with illness and job loss. My daughter has been working including OT, but her wife hasn't and had major surgery recently. They have been getting food from a local church pantry. When my daughter told them that their rent is in arrears, the church paid their rent for one month (well over $1,000 in NY).

My husband and I are retired, have our own financial problems, and live 1,000 miles away. I consider myself an Agnostic as a former Catholic, but I am very impressed with this. Married Lesbian Couple? Catholic Church helping them out without any lectures? Perhaps, Pope Francis is changing the Church?

While the food pantry may be operated by a church, when it comes to rent assistance and other financial assistance, it's likely Catholic Charities, major conduit for charity, that's funding it. They do not discriminate.

The majority of its income is derived from Federal, state and municipal grants, not the offering baskets on Sunday.

Hope things work out for your daughter and partner.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:58 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
While the food pantry may be operated by a church, when it comes to rent assistance and other financial assistance, it's likely Catholic Charities, major conduit for charity, that's funding it. They do not discriminate.

The majority of its income is derived from Federal, state and municipal grants, not the offering baskets on Sunday.

Hope things work out for your daughter and partner.
No, the way it's written it came out of the parish coffers, or they would have been told to contact Catholic Charities.

I don't think you're Catholic, are you?

Old 09-13-2016, 08:11 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,652,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
On this,

As a Christian, I believe it is useless to 'lecture' because religion is a personal relationship with God. It is probably not productive to debate if it is a sin or not, the answer to this is quite obvious.

I personally won't touch the subject of eternal salvation with a ten foot pole.

Helping them financially is charity, it is love, it is Christianity all about. That is my take on this.
Mine too. Many, many years ago when I was a teen and not a Catholic, I ran away from home with a boyfriend. When we wanted to come home Catholic Charities helped up out with a place to stay and cash for a bus ticked. They knew we weren't married but didn't say a word. I never forgot that. Decades later I converted to Catholicism (not because of the charity though). I don't agree with some church teachings but I'm one of the ones who stays (and there are a lot of us in the pews that love the church but could do without the curia and bishops who are more interested in their maintaining their power than in following Jesus - but that's another story).

Old 09-13-2016, 08:15 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times
Much more common, speaking in general about Christians and Christian Churches, than folks realize. It is the way, the word. We are all fallen, come up way short of the Christian ideal. To be Christ-like. We are not Christ, nor anything approaching perfection.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:09 PM

1,478 posts, read 788,459 times
Quote:

Wasn't Marquette University--a Jesuist university--here in Milwaukee covering the health care of the partners of same sex spouses of its lesbian and gay lay faculty, before this current Pope became Pope?

I think so if memory serves me correct.

Pope Francis (a Jesuit himself) is just one of many Bishops with his same views. Although, given his position as Pope he does have more power to facilitate changes with in the Church. But since the Church has a law system even the Pope has to abide by that legal system and does not weild absolute power.

Generally, parish church charity services will help out just about anyone so long as doing so does not cause scandal. I'm not sure about this case, revolving around cohabitation (in the doctrine of the church), how it has generally been handled though. Cohabitating heterosexuals can't be confessed of their sins so long as they remain in cohabitation. Likewise with a lesbian couple. But paying rent and giving food is different than receiving the sacrament of confession (which requires at the moment of confession an intent to convert from that sin as well as remorse and the carrying out the penance given).

Last edited by Frogburn; 09-13-2016 at 09:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity