Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2016, 07:54 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,805,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
No thanks. The Bible's thick enough and a difficult read as it is...
Yes, odd that huh - considering it is such an important message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
.... we have much evidence that the Apostles didn't really hear Him when He said "I am going to die, and come back."
...and what 'evidence' would that be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 08:08 AM

3,348 posts, read 1,627,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
...and what 'evidence' would that be?
well, their lack of belief that Christ was at the door, 3 days later; even some actions beforehand, suggesting that they expected Christ to accept a crown, and institute an earthly reign.

Old 09-18-2016, 08:11 AM

Quote:
i wonder if "be sure in your own mind" is not a call to reflect upon the Bible as a Book of questions, rather than definitive answers.

Old 09-18-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
well, their lack of belief that Christ was at the door, 3 days later; even some actions beforehand, suggesting that they expected Christ to accept a crown, and institute an earthly reign.
Why would there be a lack of belief. Did you not read post 77?

Old 09-18-2016, 08:38 AM

yes, i read it, and agree with you @ Martyr, etc, but I'm just suggesting that Christ giving Himself up to the perceived "authorities" sent a message that His disciples were not prepared to hear, probably.

Old 09-18-2016, 08:39 AM

18,193 posts, read 16,788,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Thank you, You and Raffs both. I thought that was what was in the videos, and I already mentioned the brandishing about of Bible Authorities and church fathers. I prefer to go on the actual evidence, and I'll consider what Authorities, recent, ancient and in between, have to say; but nobody is immune from question. I mentioned once before an excellent book on Matthew but the author simply went into bonehead apologist mode on the two donkeys when the honest thing to do would be to admit that Matthew simply got it wrong. But too much depends on that for the believer. Admit something like that - never mind that the nativities are demonstrably bunk, let alone the resurrection and the whole big lie (that the gospels are reliable eyewitness) collapses. Totally.
Exactly. Here's where Mike's whole defense of the Big Lie collapses like a poorly constructed House of Cards: ask him for evidence and he cites Polycarps and Iraneaus and Ignatius and Eusebius and half a dozen other church fathers' musty old writings from 2nd-3rd century as proof positive his theories are the truth. If he tried to pull that in a court of law he'd get laughed out of the courtroom. But he thinks people in here are naive enough to buy it as real evidence what he's saying must be true. Any scholar worth his salt knows that Eusebius was Constantine's go-to propagandist when Constantine wanted to spread a lie. And he had no qualms about lying (using "falsehoolds" as he termed it below to get the lie out there:

1. "I have repeated whatever may rebound to the glory, and suppressed all that could tend to the disgrace of our religion"
>>>2. "It will sometimes be necessary to use falsehood for the benefit of those who need such a mode of treatment." <<<<
3. "... then can't he lie?" - a new version
4. Postscript - the source of them all?
5. A real quotation from Eusebius

Can we really believe such a scoundrel? Can we trust anything he says?

Old 09-18-2016, 08:47 AM

18,193 posts, read 16,788,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I can understand that argument. I think it is possible to underestimate the complexity that can come about by sheer natural trial and error, given time, and underestimate the reasons to think there is not an intelligent designer behind it all, but it is really an academic discussion, and I don't have a serious problem with what you believe. provided you don't start teaching it in school as science. Because in fact I/D isn't science and science in fact argues against I/D. I think perhaps that isn't your line but more a 'This thing is so immense - there must be a Being behind it'. Again I don't agree but don't have a serious problem with it.
I have also stated, or at least I believe that when scientists can do in the lab what nature can do--that is, create viable forms of life maybe like constructing strings of DNA and reverse transcriptase and RNA and make them all work together then I'd likely go atheist and just say nature somehow some way was able to do all this on its own.

Old 09-18-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Can we really believe such a scoundrel? Can we trust anything he says?
There has been no bigger 'Liar for Jesus' than Eusebius.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:00 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,284,998 times
Quote:
... Perhaps you can cite the words of your Jesus that confirms that he told everyone what he said when he was praying in the GoG or when he was in the desert?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
No thanks. The Bible's thick enough and a difficult read as it is without adding cross-references for everything that happened.
Quote:

Touche. OK, how about this?

"Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written."

John 21:25

Old 09-18-2016, 09:02 AM

50,081 posts, read 20,528,855 times
Quote:
the dust of the earth
Cool picture

The Rubble of Saturn.
Attached Thumbnails
Christians: What evidence convinced you to believe that your particular god exists?-saturnrings-02.jpg  

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 09-18-2016 at 10:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity