Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 09:06 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,281,915 times

Advertisements

Please forgive me, I’m new to the Christianity sub-forum of Religion and Spirituality, and I have some questions.

Reading through many of the threads, I’ve made the following observations:

1. Most of the threads are not about Christ or the works of Christ
2. More than a few threads seem to have a theme of challenging Christianity
3. Many threads are populated by guests who seem to have little interest in promoting Christianity
4. Some guests of this sub-forum are self-professed former Christians
5. Some threads seem to turn into debates arguing the validity of Christianity no matter the original intent

With these in mind, here are my questions:

1. Why do you visit the Christianity sub-forum? I go to Automotive to talk about cars. I go to San Diego to talk about San Diego. If you don’t go to Christianity to talk about Christ, can you tell me what you do come to discuss?
2. Why do you think the percentage of threads started in the Christianity sub-forum to discuss the merits of Christianity seem to be so slender?
3. To what do you attribute the diversity of the visitors of the Christianity sub-forum vs other topic-specific forums?
4. What motivates former Christians to contribute to this forum? What is your/their intent and message?
5. Who are the debaters trying to convince, their opponents, or other readers of the threads on this forum?

Thank you ...

Corvette Ministries
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 09:11 AM

22,860 posts, read 10,253,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Please forgive me, I’m new to the Christianity sub-forum of Religion and Spirituality, and I have some questions.

3. Many threads are populated by guests who seem to have little interest in promoting Christianity
5. Some threads seem to turn into debates arguing the validity of Christianity no matter the original intent

1. Why do you visit the Christianity sub-forum? I go to Automotive to talk about cars. I go to San Diego to talk about San Diego. If you don’t go to Christianity to talk about Christ, can you tell me what you do come to discuss?
2. Why do you think the percentage of threads started in the Christianity sub-forum to discuss the merits of Christianity seem to be so slender?
3. To what do you attribute the diversity of the visitors of the Christianity sub-forum vs other topic-specific forums?
4. What motivates former Christians to contribute to this forum? What is your/their intent and message?
5. Who are the debaters trying to convince, their opponents, or other readers of the threads on this forum?

Thank you ...

Corvette Ministries

Try and think of this place as an Atheist forum, and a Christian forum made here so Atheist can talk to Christians.

Old 09-17-2016, 09:19 AM

31,374 posts, read 20,025,917 times
[quote=Corvette Ministries;45514384]...snip....

Quote:
To talk about Christianity in its various forms.

Quote:
Perhaps there aren't many merits.

Quote:
Maybe because Christianity has 33,000-ish denominations and a whole bunch of non-denominational sub-sects, many of which disagree with each other.

Quote:
Mine is to reprove and correct fundamentalists.

Quote:
Hopefully, all of the above.

Quote:
Thank you ...
You're welcome.

Old 09-17-2016, 09:20 AM

17,156 posts, read 11,306,202 times
Christianity is a prevalent world view, especially here in the USA. The people who visit this forum either are Christians, were Christians, are related to Christians, know Christians, and/or are impacted by those who hold a Christian world view. So, Christianity is an important and relevant topic to many for a variety of reasons.

Most Christian forums are owned by Christians, and do not allow non-Christians to participate fully. This forum is an exception, so it's not surprising that it draws those of us who aren't welcome in other places. The reasons anyone contributes to or debates/discusses in this forum depend on the person, of course. There is no one-size-fits-all answer.

I'm a former Christian. I still believe in "Christ", just not in the way I used to. So, I do discuss Christ here, but if you have a different understanding of Christ than I do, you may not recognize that.

Welcome to the forum.

Old 09-17-2016, 09:26 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,584,007 times
Welcome. We discuss Christianity. The great, the good, the bad, and the ugly. It is all relevant.

Oh, and I laugh.... a lot.

Old 09-17-2016, 09:36 AM

17,156 posts, read 11,306,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Welcome. We discuss Christianity. The great, the good, the bad, and the ugly. It is all relevant.

Oh, and I laugh.... a lot.
And she's our resident multi-sensory hugger. It's a truly unique super power.

Old 09-17-2016, 09:48 AM

37,336 posts, read 28,087,833 times
Welcome Corvette . I personally welcome anything that causes me to take a look at why I believe what I do, and to look why I also reject the things that I do. SO the madhouse that this forum is, is not a problem to me.

Old 09-17-2016, 10:15 AM

18,193 posts, read 16,778,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post

Thank you ...

Corvette Ministries
Corvette, pal o' mine, if all we had in here was Christians spouting Biblical diatribes to each other it'd be the most boring Christian forum on the net. The owner of CD wisely decided that people of ALL religious and non-religious persuasions should have an opportunity to interact with each other and challenge one another's faith or non-faith. That's why this forum is so hyper-kinetic, probably the best on the Internet, and that's a good thing. I've told you before I was a die-in-the-wool fundamentalist when I first came in here back in 2008 and it was people like Transponder and TiredofTheNonsense and many other heroes who go unnamed who changed my life for the better forever by challenging my faith to investigate their claims Christianity is a House of Cards.

So I did.

And they were right.

That's why you see atheists, deists like myself, pagans and others who beliefs differ from Christianity coming in here--so the conversation stays lively, instead of devolving into a slosh of "Jesus did this for me" and "The Holy Spirit did that for me" and "Let's have a praise-fest. Everybody bow their heads"....yawn.

Old 09-17-2016, 10:16 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,192,722 times
It's Scriptural! It's What?

I guess it's a matter of what people believe, overall.
Or, perhaps, what they have been taught to believe.

Last edited by Jerwade; 09-17-2016 at 10:52 AM..

Old 09-17-2016, 10:21 AM

3,348 posts, read 1,622,837 times
personally i think that is refreshing, in light of fundies terming bone marrow transplants "miracles" now...one must reflect upon any system of men such as religion is becoming corrupted by Strong Men, imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity