Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 10:43 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,366,961 times

Advertisements

Geekigurl, one little thing I find freeing or calming when I get stressed out by people is to just think, "Jesus loves them, and me, despite anything and everything they/I have ever done, no matter how terrible." It kind of helps put things in perspective for me. Additionally, I just take solace in the fact that Jesus still loves them and will joyfully receive them if they ever open their hearts to God, just as he has forgiven me my own sins, and that is is all on His timing, not ours, and only God can save. So all we can do is our best to be a good Christian and a good witness and understand that we can't think or believe for other people (no matter how deeply I may want to!).

To put it pithily, my bumper-sticker mantra for how to deal with stress would be,

Smile -- Jesus loves you!

Edit -- not that I always succeed in being so rosy-colored in my outlook, but I am trying. I think it's great that you're so intentional about your walk and I hope it leads you to continued growth and blessings in your faith and in your walk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 11:47 AM

6,855 posts, read 2,844,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Nothing wrong with wanting others to see us and treat us with loving kindness. But, when that doesn't happen, if we internalize it and think that their inability or unwillingness to do so in some way indicates that they are right and we are unworthy -- that's what causes pain, imo. It makes us want to protect ourselves by striking back to make them seem worthless (so that their treatment of us doesn't hurt so much) or shut down in some other way. Personally, I don't see you do that much (if ever) geeki.

Just my muddled thoughts.
I go to great lengths to avoid that, because I know how that feels when it's done to me.

Old 09-20-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
Geekigurl, one little thing I find freeing or calming when I get stressed out by people is to just think, "Jesus loves them, and me, despite anything and everything they/I have ever done, no matter how terrible." It kind of helps put things in perspective for me. Additionally, I just take solace in the fact that Jesus still loves them and will joyfully receive them if they ever open their hearts to God, just as he has forgiven me my own sins, and that is is all on His timing, not ours, and only God can save. So all we can do is our best to be a good Christian and a good witness and understand that we can't think or believe for other people (no matter how deeply I may want to!).

To put it pithily, my bumper-sticker mantra for how to deal with stress would be,

Edit -- not that I always succeed in being so rosy-colored in my outlook, but I am trying. I think it's great that you're so intentional about your walk and I hope it leads you to continued growth and blessings in your faith and in your walk.
I love your pithy, bumper sticker mantra, Mark. I'm not always rosily optimistic in my outlook either, haha. I appreciate your compliments about my relationship with Christ. It's the most important thing to me.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:23 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
I recently read a blog post about loving those you disagree with, and I got thinking about things going on here, and how I think I love everyone here, even the ones I disagree with, but I'm not sure. But I want to so much. But they called me their enemy, and that was painful. But I want them to love me back. I want them to see that the Christ in them is waiting to be encountered in me. But isn't that selfish love? I don't want to be that way. I want to see, and love them as Christ does. But I don't know if I do, because of the hurt and hostility. This is really bothering me, because I desperately want to love them no matter whether they accept me, or love me in return. But I'm not sure if it's selfless, because I do want them to love me back.

Just thought I'd share a burden with you guys. <3
Real love if selfless. It focus on others and even means denying self at times.

I hope you do not include me in the those calling you their enemy.

Remember Jesus said the majority claiming to be his followers were not. Their approach turns people away.

I love everyone that does not reject it.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:27 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post

Remember Jesus said the majority claiming to be his followers were not. Their approach turns people away.

Jesus also said that those who were not of the clan, teaching ion his name (when the disciples whined about stopping them) Jesus said, "Do not stop him, for whoever is not against you is for you."

So not everyone is in the same boat.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:30 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post

I had one that was similar--

Jesus LOVES you
The rest of us know you're an <BLEEPING BLEEP>

Old 09-20-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post

No, not you, expat. <3

Old 09-20-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I had one that was similar--

Jesus LOVES you
The rest of us know you're an <BLEEPING BLEEP>
HAHA!!

Nice, zthatzman.

<3

Old 09-20-2016, 05:01 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
No, not you, expat. <3
Hi,

I didn't think so, but I always worry about unintentionally making someone upset with me.

Posts do not always reflect a persons actual feelings.

Old 09-20-2016, 11:53 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times
Love concerns itself with the well-being of others.
And, it's not selfish to want that for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity