Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 12:14 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,060,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
It's so American Puritan.
and I believe that it is taught PRIMARILY for the sake of the women folk...to assure there was no extra bee-bopping happening in the barns..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 12:43 PM

17,156 posts, read 11,298,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
I once sat through a sermon where the minister said that gay marriages werent real. If you cant imagine how it feels to be on the other side of that, i dunno what to say. I walked out midservice and never came back.
I can imagine how that would feel, I think. Somewhere between and and and and .

Old 10-05-2016, 01:22 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,007,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
and I believe that it is taught PRIMARILY for the sake of the women folk...to assure there was no extra bee-bopping happening in the barns..
It's also taught so the LGBTQ are marginalized. People who tell the LGBTQ they must remain single and celibate have no interest in seeing them be happy, fulfilled human beings. They teach something that causes aching loneliness for gay men and women. Wanting to have someone to love and come home to is what makes us human. It's a normal, wonderful instinct. They try to take that away from the gay community.

It's heartless and compassion-less. It's done to control and condemn. It's probably the premier example of homophobia by fundamentalists.

Old 10-05-2016, 01:28 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,013,000 times
Quote:
It's also taught so the LGBTQ are marginalized. People who tell the LGBTQ they must remain single and celibate have no interest in seeing them be happy, fulfilled human beings. They teach something that brings aching loneliness to gay men and women.

It's heartless and compassion-less. It's probably the premier example of homophobia by fundamentalists.
True.

And further evidence that a lack of empathy is one of the main requirements for being a fundamentalist.

Old 10-05-2016, 02:08 PM

17,156 posts, read 11,298,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
True.

And further evidence that a lack of empathy is one of the main requirements for being a fundamentalist.
I honestly cannot remember a time that I (when I was still caught up in a fundamentalist mindset) ever considered the feelings of those who are not straight, in that regard. I was so completely focused on the misguided fear of homosexuality (it was sending people to hell, and God was going to punish our nation if we legalized SSM) that my mind was incapable of processing anything else. Only after someone else brought it up, did I did begin to consider the implications of what I believed. It didn't change my mind (that didn't happen until I figured out the "inerrant" bible, wasn't) but it did close my mouth.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:54 PM

63,431 posts, read 39,686,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I can imagine how that would feel, I think. Somewhere between and and and and .

Old 10-05-2016, 06:57 PM

63,431 posts, read 39,686,809 times
Quote:
It's also taught so the LGBTQ are marginalized. People who tell the LGBTQ they must remain single and celibate have no interest in seeing them be happy, fulfilled human beings. They teach something that causes aching loneliness for gay men and women. Wanting to have someone to love and come home to is what makes us human. It's a normal, wonderful instinct. They try to take that away from the gay community.
It's heartless and compassion-less. It's done to control and condemn. It's probably the premier example of homophobia by fundamentalists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
True.
Amen. Empathy requires a focus on the well-being of others, but fundamentalists are almost entirely focused on their well-being in the eyes of God and what they see as failures in everybody else.
Quote:
I honestly cannot remember a time that I (when I was still caught up in a fundamentalist mindset) ever considered the feelings of those who are not straight, in that regard. I was so completely focused on the misguided fear of homosexuality (it was sending people to hell, and God was going to punish our nation if we legalized SSM) that my mind was incapable of processing anything else. Only after someone else brought it up, did I did begin to consider the implications of what I believed. It didn't change my mind (that didn't happen until I figured out the "inerrant" bible, wasn't) but it did close my mouth.
Honest witness!!

Old 10-05-2016, 07:05 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,013,000 times
Quote:
You do a great service to uncounted lurkers by your open, honest accounting of your awakening.

It's not that I think all fundamentalists are without empathy. Thankfully, I don't believe there's nearly that many sociopaths on the planet.

But many, if not most, can compartmentalize their minds the way soldiers in war are often taught to do. They are schooled in dehumanizing the enemy because to do so makes them easier to kill. Or in the religious sense - demonize/marginalize. They are "other" and "other" is wrong and to be feared and/or avoided.

A key part of any fundamentalist finding a more true path to walk is when they come to understand there is no "other."

There's only us.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:36 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,758,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post

Amen. Empathy requires a focus on the well-being of others, but fundamentalists are almost entirely focused on their well-being in the eyes of God and what they see as failures in everybody else.
Honest witness!!
Yet with out respect for others you step with a forward pride of opinion. Leaving a conversation filled with accusation spilling out of a heart of domineering platitude.

Like my Mom used to tell me when I was in struggling.

'Figure it out".

I truely like many of the atheist and agnostics of this forum.

And so long as the Holy Spirit gives me breath I'll serve no matter the banner.
Owe yeah
Sorry.
But this old bean bag has been around, awake, and aware since the womb.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:25 PM

6,620 posts, read 2,817,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrhockney
A lot of the claimed ex-gays were probably just bisexuals who didn't get to experience good intimacy with the opposite sex before the same sex or had some bad experiences with the opposite sex. A true gay person is not bisexual at all or very little. I even know one who became mostly fundamentalist and is now married to a very attractive member of the opposite sex and has kids...however, he even admits his attraction is still 75% gay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
A truly Gay person may not change their feelings, however they can change their actions. Just as a "Straight" man who is very attracted to women, can remain celibate if he wishes. Easy no, but possible. Ditto for any LGBT person.
Hmmm . . .WHY do you think it necessary for a 'truly' gay person to change 'who they are' at all? To please God? To please Christians? Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity