U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 03:54 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,095,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComputerGuy View Post
Hi Lior,

I'm new here, so don't take this the wrong way
because I don't want to offend you. (Seriously!)

But why do you refer to God as "G-d" on a "Christian" forum?
(Shouldn't this be the ONE place where we can call God "God"?)
If I'm prying, please feel free to ignore me.
You don't owe me any explanation, I'm just curious.
Ha! You beat me to it. I edited my post (probably while you were typing yours) since this is the Christianity forum. I usually use "God", but I've been posting lately on another Judaism forum and use G-d out of respect since that is their way in that particular form. Rabbincally speaking, it is not considered bad for to use God, though. Only the sacred names of God are not supposed to be written

However, if I was Jewish and decided to post to a Christian forum I'm sure you'd understand that typing G-d out of respect would be my perrogative
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 04:02 PM

1,989 posts, read 3,949,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
Ha! You beat me to it. I edited my post (probably while you were typing yours) since this is the Christianity forum. I usually use "God", but I've been posting lately on another Judaism forum and use G-d out of respect since that is their way in that particular form. Rabbincally speaking, it is not considered bad for to use God, though. Only the sacred names of God are not supposed to be written

However, if I was Jewish and decided to post to a Christian forum I'm sure you'd understand that typing G-d out of respect would be my perrogative
Thanks for clarifying that!
That explains a few things I've seen elsewhere.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:10 PM

1,177 posts, read 3,657,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle1210 View Post
God was not created in the image of man. but man was created in the image of God, we have his attributes and Yes He is emotional. Yes he has joy, yes he gets angry, yes he is a jealous God. But depressed no, because he is in control. if he were depressed then I would think he would have doubts, to me doubts would mean wishy washy. And God is not wishy washy he knows exactly what he is doing.

Zep 3:17 The LORD thy God in the midst of thee [is] mighty; he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy; he will rest in his love, he will joy over thee with singing

Deu 4:24 For the LORD thy God [is] a consuming fire, [even] a jealous God.

Eze 6:9 And they that escape of you shall remember me among the nations whither they shall be carried captives, because I am "broken" with their whorish heart, which hath departed from me, and with their eyes, which go a whoring after their idols: and they shall lothe themselves for the evils which they have committed in all their abominations.
None of us really know who God is or what(or if) He feels, in my opinion. The above quotes from the bible are words that were written by man trying to understand God and applying human traits to God. I think it is folly, and maybe even somewhat arrogant, for man to think that he can explain God in human terms.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:20 PM

21,422 posts, read 29,562,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbone View Post
None of us really know who God is or what(or if) He feels, in my opinion. The above quotes from the bible are words that were written by man trying to understand God and applying human traits to God. I think it is folly, and maybe even somewhat arrogant, for man to think that he can explain God in human terms.
1 Corth 2:16 says we have the mind of Christ. Through the guidance of the Holy Spirit we can have insight into God's thoughts. 2 Timothy 3:16 says that ALL scripture is inspired by God. I believe that we are made in the image of God. I know who God is because I know Him.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:32 PM

1,989 posts, read 3,949,485 times
Quote:
I'm the last guy on the planet to even attempt to think
he knows the mind of God, but I have the bible, and He
left that for us to learn from.

Granted, I've read MANY easier to understand books, but...
I've seen enough truth there not to question it.
I chalk up the parts I don't quite get, to my own stupidity.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:54 PM

11,918 posts, read 13,825,686 times
Hi, I believe that God reveals Himself to us on different levels and I think that many times He condescends to us to relate to us on our level. In teaching us about what pleases Him and what displeases Him, He is teaching us about what is good and what is not. I believe that He is still in the process of making us into His image. If God sees beginning to end and if all is out of Him, I don't see that He is really angry about what has transpired in the creation. I do see Him as displaying anger much like a Father would who is teaching his children the difference between right and wrong. How can we know that this is wrong unless we see the display of His displeasure. Just my view. God bless.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:11 PM

336 posts, read 759,152 times
Quote:
WE CAN ONLY USE THE TRIATS THAT HE HAS GIVEN US. EVERYTHING WE KNOW OR DISCERN IS REFLECTED BY HIS GRACE. TO PRAY,READ THE HOLY BIBLE AND FELLOWSHIP HELPS TO UNDERSTAND WHAT HE IS AND WHAT HE DESIRES FROM US.WE DO USE HUMAN TRAITS TO ANALYIZE AND DEFINE, BUT THOSE TRIATS HE HAS GIVEN US!IF HE WANTED IT DIFFERENTLY, WOULDN'T IT WOULD BE SO?...

Old 02-26-2008, 09:48 PM

10,290 posts, read 8,047,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
1 Corth 2:16 says we have the mind of Christ. Through the guidance of the Holy Spirit we can have insight into God's thoughts. 2 Timothy 3:16 says that ALL scripture is inspired by God. I believe that we are made in the image of God. I know who God is because I know Him.
Amen! ILNC
John 10:27
My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.

Blessings

Old 02-27-2008, 12:37 PM

17,497 posts, read 10,140,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComputerGuy View Post
I may or may NOT be the right guy to offer an answer,
so take it for what it's worth....
If I have it wrong, someone will correct me...

Animals (and nature in general) are fallen...
While we were all taught to love those cute furry things,
Remember that in the OT, God accepted them in sacrifice,
and in Genesis 9:3 it says: "Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you".

Once I read that, I realized that hunting was okay,
and while I still like some animals better than some people,
God does not consider them to be equal to man.
(NOT THAT ANYONE SHOULD ABUSE ANIMALS!)

Hope that helps...
If not, someone here will come along and say it more elegantly
or correct me.
Are you really my husband in disguise!! This is how he would have put it and it would be just like him to use ComputerGuy, the last thing he is, is a ComputerGuy!!

Old 02-27-2008, 01:19 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,600,403 times
Quote:
1Cr 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know [them], because they are spiritually discerned.

I would rather be a fool, in knowing God and the mind of God by reading his Holy word, by praying. It is my great Joy to serve him, worship him. There is no doubt in whom I serve and believe, my confidence and assurance lies in him, and him alone. Not in a man, or in one who lacks Spiritual discernment. In my Folly I shall bear the title fool for his glory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or