U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 07:51 PM

897 posts, read 2,214,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle1210 View Post
The animals were the sacrifice, sin needs a covering and blood shed from the animals covered that, as the animals were innocent. If you do not understand blood covenants then you will not understand about atonement.

unless of course they were worshipped or used as idols,or in any deviant nature Then they were contaminated by sin.
You do not have to have a blood atonement...isaiah 1:11 "The multitude of your sacrifices—
what are they to me?" says the LORD.
"I have more than enough of burnt offerings,
of rams and the fat of fattened animals;
I have no pleasure
in the blood
of bulls and lambs and goats.

Leviticus 5:11
11 " 'If, however, he cannot afford two doves or two young pigeons, he is to bring as an offering for his sin a tenth of an ephah [a] of fine flour for a sin offering. He must not put oil or incense on it, because it is a sin offering.

Psalm 50
7 "Hear, O my people, and I will speak,
O Israel, and I will testify against you:
I am God, your God.
8 I do not rebuke you for your sacrifices
or your burnt offerings, which are ever before me.
9 I have no need of a bull from your stall
or of goats from your pens,
10 for every animal of the forest is mine,
and the cattle on a thousand hills.
11 I know every bird in the mountains,
and the creatures of the field are mine.
12 If I were hungry I would not tell you,
for the world is mine, and all that is in it.
13 Do I eat the flesh of bulls
or drink the blood of goats?
14 Sacrifice thank offerings to God,
fulfill your vows to the Most High,
15 and call upon me in the day of trouble;
I will deliver you, and you will honor me."
16 But to the wicked, God says:
"What right have you to recite my laws
or take my covenant on your lips?
17 You hate my instruction
and cast my words behind you.

1 Kings 8 33 "When your people Israel have been defeated by an enemy because they have sinned against you, and when they turn back to you and confess your name, praying and making supplication to you in this temple, 34 then hear from heaven and forgive the sin of your people Israel and bring them back to the land you gave to their fathers.

46 "When they sin against you—for there is no one who does not sin—and you become angry with them and give them over to the enemy, who takes them captive to his own land, far away or near; 47 and if they have a change of heart in the land where they are held captive, and repent and plead with you in the land of their conquerors and say, 'We have sinned, we have done wrong, we have acted wickedly'; 48 and if they turn back to you with all their heart and soul in the land of their enemies who took them captive, and pray to you toward the land you gave their fathers, toward the city you have chosen and the temple I have built for your Name; 49 then from heaven, your dwelling place, hear their prayer and their plea, and uphold their cause. 50 And forgive your people, who have sinned against you; forgive all the offenses they have committed against you, and cause their conquerors to show them mercy; 51 for they are your people and your inheritance, whom you brought out of Egypt, out of that iron-smelting furnace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 10:11 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,263,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_thirsty View Post
Okay so I am a believer but I am really struggling with something. Like I said in a previous thread, I am in a Bible Study and we just studied Rehab. There is a place in the reading where it says everything in Jerrico was killed..children, men, women, sheep..... and that the Gold, silver, and iron were saved from the town for the kingdom of God.
My trouble is one I know I am not the first to say....but how can the God I know and love, have wiped out all these people and animals.... Its so hard for me to understand. Small children who had no crime but to be born where they were born....
Does anyone else struggle with this? For those who don't can you tell me why you don't? I really appreciate it!
I've just read a really compelling book that addresses this very issue. So I'd like to add my thoughts (if I can put them down coherently). I haven't read the other responses, so forgive any repetition.

First I'd say because I believe the bible to be true, that yes, this event did occur as described in the bible. I don't believe it's just a morality tale handed down through oral tradition. I base that not only on the bible, which is enough for me, but also the archeological evidence relating to Jerrico that exists that corroborates the bible.

Second, I'd say absolutely it is the same God in the OT as in the NT. God doesn't change. He is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. We tend to focus on his love and compassion, but we also must remember the other traits of God's character.. sovereign, holy, righteously just and merciful.

Because God is holy and just, he must deal with sin and rebellion. This is what he did in this instance. God is sovereign. God is the creator of life, so too is he the taker of life. This is his perrogative. He owns his creation and he can decide how best to deal with it, even if we don't understand his ways. Because of the complete sinfullness of this nation, God, in his infinite wisdom and through his sovereignty, commanded Israel to destroy them all who remained. I believe he did this so as to keep Israel pure and uncontaminated because, after all, it was through the people of Isreal that Jesus would come out from. They had to be kept separate and apart from corruption.

God is also merciful. He always has provided a way out for those that choose to turn from their wicked ways and follow him. You'll notice I emphasized 'who remained' above. You have to understand, God gave these people hundreds of years to repent and follow him. I'm sure there were individuals who took this opportunity, as Rahab did. Yes, God was destroying a sinful and corrupt culture, but always allowed an out for individuals who wished to follow him. It's not irrational to suppose that by the time Israel arrived, those who repented and fled (most likely women and children were among these) had already done so and those that remained were so hardened against God and willfully sinful that their fate was sealed.

Regarding the children, we have to also rememeber that no one is born innocent. And these children's lives would be controlled by the parents, for better or for worse. And gauging by their culture, it was for worse.. child sacrifice. But again, God in his mercy provides a way for them, too. We are reminded of the age of accountability.. that those children who die before this age will be present with the Lord (Isaiah 7:16; 2 Samuel 12:22). By having the children killed before this time, God was ensuring they would be with him. Again, he is the sovereign creator and therefore has the right to decide this. We humans do not have the right to take another life because we didn't create it.

So I see no contradiction between God in the OT as compared to the NT. He provided warning and he provided opportunity for repentance before he unleashed his judgement. It's the same with us. He's provided us warning. He's providing an opportunity for us to repent before Jesus returns. But in the end, he will judge us all.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:46 AM

1,989 posts, read 3,951,620 times
VERY well said.
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or