Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 01:16 PM

1,177 posts, read 4,155,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle1210 View Post
I love the OT, God is very passionate! As you grow in in his wisdom you will see how he acted out of mercy and grace, Don't you think it broke his heart to see Children following in there parents footsteps embracing abominable sins. Also using children for there deviant pleasure. I believe he saved the coming generations from sin, by his cleansing by his fire. As sin is very contaminating.
Do you think God has emotions like man? You say that He is passionate and that his heart was broken. Do you think He gets excited, depressed, angry, disconsolate, joyful, etc.? I have a difficult time imagining God as having any human traits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 01:23 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,401,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Yes.. certainly passionate but I wouldn't say passionate in a loving way in this instance. I mean why kill the animals? What in the hell did they do to deserve to die?
Hey you Ox. Guess what.. your owner there.. he is gonna die. Guess what.. you too!
Ox: What did I do?
Don't even worry about it. Be gone. **Poof**
I may or may NOT be the right guy to offer an answer,
so take it for what it's worth....
If I have it wrong, someone will correct me...

Animals (and nature in general) are fallen...
While we were all taught to love those cute furry things,
Remember that in the OT, God accepted them in sacrifice,
and in Genesis 9:3 it says: "Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you".

Once I read that, I realized that hunting was okay,
and while I still like some animals better than some people,
God does not consider them to be equal to man.
(NOT THAT ANYONE SHOULD ABUSE ANIMALS!)

Hope that helps...
If not, someone here will come along and say it more elegantly
or correct me.

Last edited by TheComputerGuy; 02-26-2008 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: Typo! :)

Old 02-26-2008, 01:27 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,270,339 times
One thing to remember is that we all deserve God's wrath.. "It is of the Lord's mercies that we are not consumed."

So before we accuse God of being mean, we need to be thankful for His mercy to us. We are not worthy.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:30 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,067,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComputerGuy View Post
I may or may NOT be the right guy to offer an answer,
so take it for what it's worth....
If I have it wrong, someone will correct me...

Animals (and nature in general) are fallen...
While we were all taught to love those cute furry things,
Remember that in the OT, God accepted them in sacrifice,
and in Genesis 9:3 it says: "Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you".

Once I read that, I realized that hunting was okay,
and while I still like some animals better than some people,
God does not consider them to be equal to man.
(NOT THAT ANY ONE SHOULD ABUSE ANIMALS!)

Hope that helps...
If not, someone here will come along and say it more elegantly
or correct me.
I get what you are saying. I don't believe they are equal to man. I guess it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I mean what does it accomplish (killing the animals)? I could see if the animals were killed and used for food or something, but to just kill them because it can be done.. doesn't really float my boat.

Just odd I suppose.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:34 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,808,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbone View Post
Do you think God has emotions like man? You say that He is passionate and that his heart was broken. Do you think He gets excited, depressed, angry, disconsolate, joyful, etc.? I have a difficult time imagining God as having any human traits.
God was not created in the image of man. but man was created in the image of God, we have his attributes and Yes He is emotional. Yes he has joy, yes he gets angry, yes he is a jealous God. But depressed no, because he is in control. if he were depressed then I would think he would have doubts, to me doubts would mean wishy washy. And God is not wishy washy he knows exactly what he is doing.

Zep 3:17 The LORD thy God in the midst of thee [is] mighty; he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy; he will rest in his love, he will joy over thee with singing.

Deu 4:24 For the LORD thy God [is] a consuming fire, [even] a jealous God.

Eze 6:9 And they that escape of you shall remember me among the nations whither they shall be carried captives, because I am "broken" with their whorish heart, which hath departed from me, and with their eyes, which go a whoring after their idols: and they shall lothe themselves for the evils which they have committed in all their abominations.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:35 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,270,339 times
Quote:
I get what you are saying. I don't believe they are equal to man. I guess it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I mean what does it accomplish (killing the animals)? I could see if the animals were killed and used for food or something, but to just kill them because it can be done.. doesn't really float my boat.
It was either them or us...

Till Jesus came. Then it was Him or us.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:41 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,808,126 times
The animals were the sacrifice, sin needs a covering and blood shed from the animals covered that, as the animals were innocent. If you do not understand blood covenants then you will not understand about atonement.

unless of course they were worshipped or used as idols,or in any deviant nature Then they were contaminated by sin.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Just odd I suppose.
I hear you.

I've only shot 2 warm blooded animals in 43 years...

One was a rat that I shot to protect my cat (like he needed it?),
and the other was a woodchuck that had a tunnel to
our garden and wiped out the green beans overnight...

I was proud of the perfect shot at 70 meters,
but I DID feel bad about taking out a cute small and furry.
(Sorry folks, I was raised in MA, but I'm recovering.)

And cg81 is correct, God IS merciful....
Even though he may sometimes seem harsh to us in the OT.
He didn't want his children contaminated, and wanted to teach them a lesson.
(He HATES idol worshipers and evil-doers!)

When I first read the OT, I felt the same way you do,
but when I consider how He sent his only son
to take our punishment for us, I realized different.

AND... The fact that I wasn't struck down by lightning so far
confirms that He's merciful.
Not that I was a bad guy or anything,
but I SURE wasn't living the way He wanted me to.

Don't worry, I KNOW someone here will explain this better than I did,
Then you might feel better about things.
Like I said earlier, I'm NO biblical scholar.
I'm here to learn.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:28 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,934,612 times
Putting on my "prophet hat" for Little Thirsty:

God didn't wipe out/kill all of those people, children, and animals. People did. God works with man in our own context. If we were not such a violent people, He wouldn't need such violent means to intercede with us.

If you are going to blame God for Jericho, why not blame Him for Hurricane Katrina or the Sumatra Sunami? Do you blame Him or do you accept that on the physical plane He limits Himself to our experience and our world?

Hope that helps

Last edited by Lior Arel; 02-26-2008 at 02:38 PM..

Old 02-26-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
Putting on my "prophet hat" for Little Thirsty:

G-d didn't wipe out/kill all of those people, children, and animals. People did. G-d works with man in our own context. If we were not such a violent people, He wouldn't need such violent means to intercede with us.

If you are going to blame G-d for Jericho, why not blame Him for Hurricane Katrina or the Sumatra Sunami? Do you blame Him or do you accept that on the physical plane He limits Himself to our experience and our world?

Hope that helps
Hi Lior,

I'm new here, so don't take this the wrong way
because I don't want to offend you. (Seriously!)

But why do you refer to God as "G-d" on a "Christian" forum?
(Shouldn't this be the ONE place where we can call God "God"?)
If I'm prying, please feel free to ignore me.
You don't owe me any explanation, I'm just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity