Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 01:39 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,524,670 times

Advertisements

As most of you know, I am a Latter Day Saint. My wife and I were called to serve as missionaries in the Twelve Step Program. This program is the Latter Day Saint version of the well known Twelve Step Program for addictions. Yes, some LDS members struggle with alcohol, tobacco, drugs, overeating, codependency, and other issues. Although we are not fulltime missionaries in the classical spreading the Gospel sense, we do wear the easily recognizable black LDS missionary identification badge when attending religious functions.

Last week, a member of our ward, who married and moved to Southern California, called to tell me her stepdaughter had been killed in a car accident, and she would be returning to make arrangements. She also told me she would be attending Sacrament meeting and wanted a Priesthood blessing thereafter. On Sunday, my wife and I did all we could do to comfort our friend. Even though her stepdaughter was not a member of the Church, we assured her that her daughter was just fine and the only reason to weep was for the temporary separation in this life.

Today, because my wife has the flu, I, along with our ward’s fulltime senior couple missionaries and another couple from our ward, attended the memorial for our friend’s deceased stepdaughter. While waiting outside to enter the cemetery chapel, a man standing next to me spied my missionary name badge. He asked me whether the deceased had any connection to the LDS Church. I told him no, but her stepmother was LDS. He then said the following: “Praise God, I feel now that (NAME OF THE DECEASED) is in Heaven, because she has no involvement with your cult.”

I said nothing in response. I wonder; is the behavior of this man what Jesus wants from his followers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 01:53 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,808,734 times
Rom 12:15 Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep.

Why did you ask a question you already know the answer too? wasn't his lack of compassion evidence enough?

Last edited by Michelle1210; 02-27-2008 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: afterthought

Old 02-27-2008, 02:00 PM

2,984 posts, read 3,347,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
As most of you know, I am a Latter Day Saint. My wife and I were called to serve as missionaries in the Twelve Step Program. This program is the Latter Day Saint version of the well known Twelve Step Program for addictions. Yes, some LDS members struggle with alcohol, tobacco, drugs, overeating, codependency, and other issues. Although we are not fulltime missionaries in the classical spreading the Gospel sense, we do wear the easily recognizable black LDS missionary identification badge when attending religious functions.

Last week, a member of our ward, who married and moved to Southern California, called to tell me her stepdaughter had been killed in a car accident, and she would be returning to make arrangements. She also told me she would be attending Sacrament meeting and wanted a Priesthood blessing thereafter. On Sunday, my wife and I did all we could do to comfort our friend. Even though her stepdaughter was not a member of the Church, we assured her that her daughter was just fine and the only reason to weep was for the temporary separation in this life.

Today, because my wife has the flu, I, along with our ward’s fulltime senior couple missionaries and another couple from our ward, attended the memorial for our friend’s deceased stepdaughter. While waiting outside to enter the cemetery chapel, a man standing next to me spied my missionary name badge. He asked me whether the deceased had any connection to the LDS Church. I told him no, but her stepmother was LDS. He then said the following: “Praise God, I feel now that (NAME OF THE DECEASED) is in Heaven, because she has no involvement with your cult.”

I said nothing in response. I wonder; is the behavior of this man what Jesus wants from his followers?
Jesus Christ was greatly despised by the religious group of His day, possessing all there was of God and His glory. The problem with Jesus Christ is that He keeps company with sinners, including harlots, and the lowest of the low, tax collectors. Your silence was appropriate!

Quote:
Never try to teach a pig to sing, you will waste your time and you will annoy the pig.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:24 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,501,599 times
That was entirely inappropriate of him. I'm so sick of hearing these hateful things come out of the mouths of people who claim the name of Christ. Their attitudes do not reflect His, so I feel they have no right to use His name in their title.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:34 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
God bless you sergeant, you did what Jesus would want you to do..You turned the other cheek by not responding to him..

Old 02-27-2008, 02:46 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,143,085 times
Your response certainly shows your wisdom sarge, I don't think I would of had the maturity to stay quiet at a comment like that. LOL

Old 02-27-2008, 02:53 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
I'm an athiest and even I wouldn't say something like that.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:05 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,732,145 times
I am LDS so my opinion is colored by that. But it is my opinion that such behavior displays the same attitude that the Pharisees showed Jesus. Only now the shoe is on the other foot. Those so-called “Christians” who display such behavior are can’t look beyond their self-righteous orthodoxy to be more Christ-like in their associations with those who are different. Fortunately, I think they are the minority. Unfortunately, they are vocal and persistent in their condemnation, which gives many other more moderate Christians a bad name. However, from the threads on this board, I’ve even found that many, but not all, of those who appear to hold such attitudes begin to soften in their positions once they get beyond the Bible-school rhetoric and begin actual dialogs with us.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:53 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,501,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
Unfortunately, they are vocal and persistent in their condemnation, which gives many other more moderate Christians a bad name. However, from the threads on this board, I’ve even found that many, but not all, of those who appear to hold such attitudes begin to soften in their positions once they get beyond the Bible-school rhetoric and begin actual dialogs with us.
This is entirely true. I know that I was raised to believe as harshly as these people, but once my family and I moved to Utah, I could see for myself that it wasn't true. I may not agree with your doctrines, but to call you names simply to elevate myself above you is uncalled for. I still have family (my grandfather's siblings) who live in the Bible belt and they have absolutely no patience in their dealings with the LDS. They ask us questions and when we try to describe things in a rational way, they become aggitated. I think they want us to be spewing hatred. It is one of the times that I am completely happy to disappoint them.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:08 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,900 times
Sargeant, I'm so sorry that happened... and at a time when you and others were already mourning... there's no excuse for his behavior.

His words can't be taken back -- the damage has already been done...

I guess the most important thing is that others' behavior doesn't cause a "root of bitterness" in us... (and thereby many be defiled)

The Bible talks about these things... the wheat and the tares... who's not against us is for us...

We all have to be careful that our behavior (and our words) does not cause someone else to stumble.

Walking in love and forgiveness is the hardest thing for any of us to do...

I'm sure his words cut like knives. At least he didn't drive nails into your hands and feet..

We all should agree in prayer that the man be convicted for his callousness so that others won't be hurt by him...

Last edited by World Citizen; 02-27-2008 at 04:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity