Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2018, 01:09 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanokh View Post

1 Corinthians 1:9 God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ*

“On my part there was a distinct desire to benefit you, and I have done my best to that end. It pains me that I have not been able to do you good, for I have longed to win that privilege.”
– Charles Spurgeon

Read more: https://www.ccel.org/ccel/spurgeon/g...les/grace.html
138 pages so far...Have you got this whole book cut & pasted on here yet?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 07:40 AM

1,146 posts, read 648,085 times
Quote:
To me it's encouraging to ponder Gods amazing grace, so I'd love to hear your experiences with Gods grace aswell.
FOUR TABLETS OF THE LAW WITH 20, NOT 10 COMMANDMENTS - MEANS GRACE TO US

"thy rod and thy staff comfort me..." - from the 23rd psalm

The shepherds staff/hook is used for gentle guidance. The rod is used for painful correction. The object of their use, from the point of view of the shepherd, is to preserve and protect members of the flock. The sheep doesn't always appreciate this attention especially when it gets a painful rap from the rod. It's a gracious act of the shepherd nonetheless. Hint: Such kindness and grace requires the shepherd to be present with the sheep.

When the shepherd is absent from the sheep they tend to wander away from good pasture, good water and safety of the group. The shepherd must be present for all to be well with the flock and the individual sheep.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A LICENSE TO SIN.

There is a dangerous attitude being promoted in the post modern church. This attitude suggests that grace is given to forgive everyone of everything. According to this false teaching, sin is even allowed. I attended a Baptist service one Sunday. The guest preacher was a dean of a prominent Bible college who spoke on the subject of grace. He did a fine job until he shot himself in the foot with his final statement. "Go out and sin this week," he said. "That grace may abound." It was most likely the single most disgusting thing I'd ever heard come from the lips of a person in church. Nothing could be more heretical or demonic.

Most of the congregation wagged their heads like the polite gullible bobble-heads they'd become. Why? Sound teaching has become a rare thing in church these days. Among the best doctrines of the Bible to suffer an ignominious corruption is the doctrine of grace. Sin is justified by the attitude that the Law has been abolished or destroyed. This is a lie because it has not. The Law still stands.

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them." - Jesus as quoted in Matt 5:17

The Master of the Universe still holds humankind responsible for sin. Jesus said the Law has NOT been abolished. Therefore the Law remains. If a Christian sins he or she can still suffer judgment. (I'm not saying one can lose their salvation, their divine seal unto redemption. I'm saying something else entirely, something very important in these End Times.) No one is excused because the Law has NOT been abolished. It's been fulfilled. What does this mean and what's the difference?

What is the role of the Good Shepherd in all this? Shall He allow the flock to scatter and go their own way or shall He deal with sin? Shall He throw up His hands in disgust and quit His job or shall He do something about it? THIS is the mystery of grace. Grace is most definitely not divine permissiveness. Our Good Shepherd has a rod and a most resolute attitude to use it.

You have heard that God gave 10 commandments to Moses written on two tablets of stone. It didn't end there, however. There were actually 4, count 'em 4 tablets with a total of 20 commandments delivered by Moses from God. Why were 2 extra tablets issued? What's going on here?

20 commandments on 4 tablets of the Law. Two covenants? Or just One covenant with an addendum?

When Moses ascended Mt. Sinai to receive the Law, he did so twice. The first set of tablets was destroyed when Moses returned from his sojourn with God because the Hebrews had revolted. After a hellish judgment upon the rebels, Moses obtained a second set of tablets. This episode recorded in the book of Exodus provides us with an object lesson. Why did Moses have to obtain two sets of tablets? What's the difference between the first and second set of tablets? What does it all mean?

This is a good place to stop for a Bible study. What's the difference between the old covenant and the new covenant?

Points to consider:
A covenant is another way to describe a legal agreement.
An addendum is an additional qualifier to a standing contract.

The second set of tablets came with an addendum, a legal attachment to the original covenant or Law. What was this addendum?

If the old covenant is obsolete but not abolished, how is the Will of God fulfilled in the New Covenant? The truth is that we really don't have a new covenant. What we have is the old covenant with an addendum. What is this addendum and what does it mean to us? What is this addendum called in the Bible?

THE LAW IS NOT BROKEN. Check it out.

and that's me, hollering from the choir loft....

Hint: 4 tablets of the Law
Exodus 31:18, Exodus 34 (with special emphasis on Exodus 34:9a)
Isaiah 7:14 & Matt 1:23
Heb 9:10

Last edited by Choir Loft; 01-14-2018 at 08:12 AM..

Old 01-14-2018, 11:55 AM

1,419 posts, read 1,047,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
My regret is I wish I had the tools to be an overcomer sooner. But I may not have had the capacity of Grace if knew the path to righteousness sooner. I am still ashamed of the things I did against God. Not horrible but typical. God has forgiven me greatly ,but I am disappointed in myself to have grieved God when I walked without Christ. God's grace is love.
I think repentance and shame over (past) sin is a good sign of the Spirits work in our hearts (sin is more horrible than we think).. but don't forget to spend most time in lifting up your eyes to the shameful humiliation of Christ (He hung there naked on the cross) on our behalf and in this suffering and agony see the glorious love the Redeemer has for such wretches as we are. God bless you!

Old 01-17-2018, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
138 pages so far...Have you got this whole book cut & pasted on here yet?...
Not yet, glad you are taking such an interest in God's grace Richard

Old 02-07-2018, 07:27 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times
Quote:

1 Corinthians 1:9 God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ*

“Will you not give your soul a thought? Will you perish through sheer carelessness?”
– Charles Spurgeon

Whatever you focus on will grow, so be careful what you embrace.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:32 AM

And when all things have been subjected to Him, then the Son Himself will be made subject to Him who put all things under Him, so that GOD may be ALL in ALL .…

Old 02-20-2018, 01:50 PM

537 posts, read 456,751 times
Quote:

1 Corinthians 1:9 God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ

“There is no life like that of one who lives in the favor of God. To receive all as a free gift preserves the mind from self-righteous pride, and from self-accusing despair.”
– Charles Spurgeon

Greetings, Chanokh. It's always a blessing to me to see your love for the Lord, and for your fellow man.

I thank the Lord for your humble spirit.

Old 02-21-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAA2310 View Post
Greetings, Chanokh. It's always a blessing to me to see your love for the Lord, and for your fellow man.

I thank the Lord for your humble spirit.
Good day brother, I certainly don't see myself that way but I want to thank you for your encouragement nonetheless. If anything good is found in me it is none of myself but all because of the grace of God in Jesus Christ, I can often feel like Paul did in Romans 7.. "Oh wretched man that I am".. but I thank God for His glorious grace in Christ. Maybe I need this thread as a reminder for myself , God bless you!

Old 02-24-2018, 06:38 PM

537 posts, read 456,751 times
Quote:
Good day brother, I certainly don't see myself that way but I want to thank you for your encouragement nonetheless. If anything good is found in me it is none of myself but all because of the grace of God in Jesus Christ, I can often feel like Paul did in Romans 7.. "Oh wretched man that I am".. but I thank God for His glorious grace in Christ. Maybe I need this thread as a reminder for myself , God bless you!

My pleasure, dear brother. As believers we can, indeed, join the apostle Paul in his cry that you've quoted from Romans 7. And we certainly praise God unceasingly for the next statement in that chapter as a response to that cry: "I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord".

When God reveals Christ to the seeking sinner, it is a blessing well beyond anything we can imagine. Let us praise God for His matchless grace in Christ, and may the Lord be pleased to draw yet many more to the Savior through the faithful preaching and hearing of His Word. May we continue to rejoice in His marvelous salvation. God bless you, as well.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:50 PM

We have not been given a Spirit of fear; but one of power, love and a sound mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity