Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 11:16 AM

1,279 posts, read 852,761 times

Advertisements

Among my friends and family, nearly all are at least nominally Christian, and most are very regular churchgoers, who are heavily involved in their churches. (The rest of my close friends are mostly Jewish.)

Of the Christians I know who are not married, so many of them are in long-term relationships, and some plan to get married and some do not. Many of them are clearly sleeping together outside of marriage, and some have even gotten pregnant outside of marriage. There is no inverse relationship between this activity and church attendance, from what I can tell.

None of my very devout Christian family members think a thing of it, or at least nobody says anything about it.

So is the taboo against s_x outside of marriage, or at least against having kids outside of marriage, totally gone, even among Christians?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2019, 11:29 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
Among my friends and family, nearly all are at least nominally Christian, and most are very regular churchgoers, who are heavily involved in their churches. (The rest of my close friends are mostly Jewish.)

Of the Christians I know who are not married, so many of them are in long-term relationships, and some plan to get married and some do not. Many of them are clearly sleeping together outside of marriage, and some have even gotten pregnant outside of marriage. There is no inverse relationship between this activity and church attendance, from what I can tell.

None of my very devout Christian family members think a thing of it, or at least nobody says anything about it.

So is the taboo against s_x outside of marriage, or at least against having kids outside of marriage, totally gone, even among Christians?

Thanks.
Do you think people should be commenting on what other people do? And what should they say to the woman who is unmarried and pregnant? Is telling her that she shouldn't have gotten pregnant going to help her or her unborn child in some way?

Old 01-26-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Do you think people should be commenting on what other people do? And what should they say to the woman who is unmarried and pregnant? Is telling her that she shouldn't have gotten pregnant going to help her or her unborn child in some way?
Nobody would ever say anything to the person- that would be terribly obnoxious--but there would be nothing wrong with one relative saying to another (out of sight of the pregnant person), "It would be wonderful for Susan and Jim to get married." I've never heard anything like that, even.

Old 01-26-2019, 11:54 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times
Quote:
Nobody would ever say anything to the person- that would be terribly obnoxious--but there would be nothing wrong with one relative saying to another (out of sight of the pregnant person), "It would be wonderful for Susan and Jim to get married." I've never heard anything like that, even.
How does anyone other than Susan and Jim know whether or not it would be wonderful for them to get married?

Old 01-26-2019, 11:59 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:

Thanks.
I think your "very devout" friends and relatives have answered your question for you.

Old 01-26-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
How does anyone other than Susan and Jim know whether or not it would be wonderful for them to get married?
Well, with a child in the picture, people would want the child to grow up in a home with parents tied together more closely as a married couple.

Old 01-26-2019, 12:02 PM

88,575 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:

Thanks.
I think that with birth control and loss of the need to follow a rigid social expectation of marrying and producing children to "carry on the family line", along with the knowledge that sex is a normal and healthy function of humanity, there is less concern all around about who is doing what with whom.

I have a priest friend about my age who is divorced and has long been engaged to her significant other. For reasons of location of his job and her job and having two households, they just haven't gotten around to tying the knot yet. I doubt very much that she is abstaining, although obviously I would never ask, and her parish doesn't seem to care much, either.

Old 01-26-2019, 12:02 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
There are many areas where people believe they have 'outgrown' or 'become too sophisticated' for Bible truth. But, God, who is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow, has not changed His plan for mankind -- or grown too sophisticated to still know that His ways are true and right.

God's plan, as revealed in His inspired Word of truth, is for the joining together of a man and woman - to form a family unit and raise children. God's ways work, while 'the wisdom of men' fails and more often than not, produce unintended results.

Of course there are hundreds of arguments and anecdotal exceptions, but, does anyone really believe that children do better in single-parent homes; or that the 'baby-mamma' trend is a good thing; or that people do better over the long haul in non-committed or ever-changing relationships?

Is the real, most meaningful issue is not really whether 'Christians,' church-people or society in general approve of sex outside of marriage (or a hundred other things), OR 'What is God's plan and will for mankind?'

Even non-Christians and non-Bible believers have an inherent knowledge of that answer ... as they answer the question, "What is your will or plan for your own children?" (Who loves you and will tell you the truth ... Hollywood or your parents?)

Old 01-26-2019, 12:36 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
There are many areas where people believe they have 'outgrown' or 'become too sophisticated' for Bible truth. ...snip...
Yep. It's called "evolving," a concept lost to fundies. It involves learning through modern education that what people believed thousands years ago is not necessarily true.

Thankfully, by far the majority of the planet is evolving. Which is why the impotent, enraged bellowing of soon-to-be-doomed fundies is music to my ears.

Old 01-26-2019, 12:42 PM

88,575 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
There are many areas where people believe they have 'outgrown' or 'become too sophisticated' for Bible truth. But, God, who is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow, has not changed His plan for mankind -- or grown too sophisticated to still know that His ways are true and right.

God's plan, as revealed in His inspired Word of truth, is for the joining together of a man and woman - to form a family unit and raise children. God's ways work, while 'the wisdom of men' fails and more often than not, produce unintended results.

Of course there are hundreds of arguments and anecdotal exceptions, but, does anyone really believe that children do better in single-parent homes; or that the 'baby-mamma' trend is a good thing; or that people do better over the long haul in non-committed or ever-changing relationships?

Is the real, most meaningful issue is not really whether 'Christians,' church-people or society in general approve of sex outside of marriage (or a hundred other things), OR 'What is God's plan and will for mankind?'

Even non-Christians and non-Bible believers have an inherent knowledge of that answer ... as they answer the question, "What is your will or plan for your own children?" (Who loves you and will tell you the truth ... Hollywood or your parents?)
Nah, I don't think it's the bolded at all, but rather something of the opposite. Once one moves on to a clearer discernment between what was born of man's desire to control and what is truly spiritual, one comes to place less importance on pursuing the former and striving to reach higher levels of the latter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity