Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 08:08 PM

6,635 posts, read 2,824,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham
Are you willfully sinning?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Isn't EVERY sin willful?
A fitting response to a rather silly question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 08:37 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,765,505 times
As it is written;

Malachi 3:16

"Then those who revered the Lord spoke with one another and the Lord listened attentively and a book was written of those who revered the Lord and valued His name. And I will have compassion on them, says the Lord, like a Father has compassion on His son who serves him. Then you will again see the difference between the righteous and the wicked. Between those who serve God and those who do not serve Him."

Old 01-13-2017, 08:46 PM

27,914 posts, read 29,727,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
Nothing like a good gossip about someone else's sin problem to make you feel better, eh?
I'm sorry. I'm afraid I don't follow your drift. I get the feeling you're trying to insult me in some way, but that doesn't sound like you. So, if I'm supposed to be insulted, you're going to have to be more direct.

Last edited by Katzpur; 01-13-2017 at 09:06 PM..

Old 01-13-2017, 09:21 PM

32,934 posts, read 26,160,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
Mike555 you know I think highly of your posts, always well thought out ......but on this one I respectfully have to disagree a bit.....as for fellowship you are either in and saved or out of fellowship and lost.......if Jesus loved me enough to die for me even when I was an enemy of the cross, I have no fear of Him not loving me where I"m at today.......either Jesus finished the work or He didn't and those rightly dividing know HE did and sin is no longer an issue at all, it has been taken off the table for us who believe. This concept has been drummed into our heads by the mainstream protestants and of course the Catholics take it out in left field completely.......in addition it Seems so right to everybody but it isn't. Even John in the next chapter says we are forgiven, we HAVE BEEN forgiven.......its past tense.......

I am writing to you, dear children,
because your sins HAVE BEEN forgiven on account of his name.

Grace and peace always and I look forward to seeing you in heaven........
Here's the thing Cruiser. Yes, John wrote in 1 John 2:12 that our sins have been forgiven. And yet he also wrote in 1 John 1:9 that if we confess our sins He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins. Unless John contradicted himself then he obviously had two different things in mind. Unless John contradicted himself he must have been referring to forgiveness in different senses of the word. As I said in the other post, while our sins were judged and forgiven in a judicial sense at the cross, our sins as believers still have consequences in a relational sense. Being out of fellowship is not a salvation issue, but an issue of rapport. In your human family you may at times lose rapport with others in the family because of something you have done. You are still a part of the family, but until you apologize for whatever you did to get out of fellowship with the others in the family, you remain out of fellowship. That's an analogy, but it illustrates the point. The believer remains a child of God when he sins, but he gets out of fellowship, loses that rapport with God until he simply names the sin to Him. And because that sin was already judged and forgiven judicially at the cross, God can forgive the sin in a relational sense when we simply agree with God that we sinned. And the rapport is reestablished. And that rapport is what John refers to in John 15:1-7 when he talks about abiding in or remaining in Christ. The believer who does not abide or remain in Christ is a believer out of fellowship. He hasn't lost his salvation, he simply is in a state of carnality. John 15:6 by the way is not a reference to the lake of fire, but should be understood in terms of 1 Corinthians 3:15.

When the believer sins he leaves himself open to divine discipline in time as stated in Hebrews 12:4-7. Paul told the Corinthians that they were carnal and that he could not speak to them as to spiritual men because of their sins - Jealousy and strife. While they were saved, they were walking like mere men (1 Cor. 3:1-4).

The Corinthians were saved, but Paul told them that they were fleshly or carnal because of their sins of jealousy and strife. They were out of fellowship and were grieving and quenching the Holy Spirit. The remedy to being out of fellowship and grieving and quenching the Holy Spirit, and the means of fulfilling the command to be filled with the Holy Spirit is to simply name the sin as John wrote in 1 John 1:9. Failure to name your sins doesn't forfeit your salvation, but it leaves you out of fellowship in a state of carnality and unable to advance spiritually.

Confessing your sin to God is the means of getting back on firm ground so that you as a believer can continue your advance to spiritual maturity. As long as you are out of fellowship, you cannot advance in your spiritual life.

The following chart - Circles (Visual) : Country Bible Church - Brenham, TX may help you understand what I'm trying to explain.

I realize you might still disagree, but if so, I hope you will at least keep what I said in mind and maybe chew on it for a while. It may make sense to you at a later time.

In Christ's name.

Old 01-14-2017, 12:22 AM

3,536 posts, read 1,689,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanokh View Post
Very sharp observation , we can't escape from it, can we. If we don't sin in any overt ways, spiritual pride is lurking at the door to take us captive with the much more subtle inward sin of selfrighteousness and pride. Sin is just such a pervasive reality in this world that people thinking they are sinless are really spiritually insane, completely out of touch with reality, with themselves and with God.
It is always crouching at the door. It is part of our subjection to mortality. I totally agree with you. This is why we should not be so quick to point our finger at others because subjection to mortality IS part of what makes us captive to sin. Sin and death are inextricably linked and we are all under the death penalty, having all broken the law. Grievous sin punishes humanity with terrible sorrow -- there are victims of sin all around us. I remember when I realized I could not chose a "side" because of love, being broken hearted for the suffering of the whole human family.

Old 01-14-2017, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm sorry. I'm afraid I don't follow your drift. I get the feeling you're trying to insult me in some way, but that doesn't sound like you. So, if I'm supposed to be insulted, you're going to have to be more direct.
I wasn't trying to insult you, I was simply pointing out how much a grip sin has on every human ... it is always crouching at the door. Did you not boast in yourself by insulting the girl who was sinning? My point was how easy it is to be proud of our obedience and how easy it is to boast in our own righteousness. It is really hard for humans to resist doing that.

Old 01-14-2017, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Jesus never mentioned using the flesh for an excuse . Paul said we are drawn away by what we have been desiring.
We miss the mark because we have been desiring carnal things, and we desire carnal things because of unbelief.

Now i know it's a hard thing to accept for bible fundamentalists but God is merciful to our unbelief.
I don't think we desire carnal things because of unbelief. I think it is because we have TWO natures. We have the Holy Spirit striving against our mortal nature. It's just the way it is. That is what made apostle Paul cry out "oh wretched man that I am, who shall deliver me from this BODY OF DEATH?". He understood that as long as he was still in a mortal body there would be a battle between the "flesh" and the "spirit". I think the FLESH here means our concupiscence due to the natural inclination to selfishness.

Old 01-14-2017, 01:18 AM

684 posts, read 435,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I'm trying to start a new topic. I confess my sins.
The Law... was written for sinners.

Such that when you accept God/Jesus Christ as your Savior +, and invite Him to rule your soul & heart,
God says you are a sinner no more. In fact God/Jesus Christ then calls you His "friend"
John 15:15 - Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but
I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.
+
John 15:14
- Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.
+
John 15:13 - Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Old 01-14-2017, 03:13 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,087,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
I don't think we desire carnal things because of unbelief. I think it is because we have TWO natures. We have the Holy Spirit striving against our mortal nature. It's just the way it is. That is what made apostle Paul cry out "oh wretched man that I am, who shall deliver me from this BODY OF DEATH?". He understood that as long as he was still in a mortal body there would be a battle between the "flesh" and the "spirit". I think the FLESH here means our concupiscence due to the natural inclination to selfishness.
I disagree Rain Music. Whatever is not of faith is sin. Yes Paul did say that, but he went on to say by seeing that faith in Christ and what he had done was is freedom and deliverance from sin.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:47 AM

1,419 posts, read 1,039,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Sins of the flesh? What does that mean.
That we all by nature are fleshly, self-centered and seek to fulfill the sinful desires of our flesh, illicit sexual desires or emotional desires, or desire after power or money. It is all a form of idolatry, we worship whatever makes us feel good, whatever feeds our fleshly desire. And we neglect or deny the Creator that gave us life, and go against the will and Law of God to pursue those desires instead of serving Him in Spirit and Truth. And unless we are born again of the Spirit, we remain dead in our flesh, dead and blind to God, truth, holiness, righteousness, Jesus Christ. We just, don't care, because we live for ourselves, for the flesh, not for God. And most of the people around us do the same, so we think we must be doing allright, but not so in the eyes of a Holy God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity