Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 08:00 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Jesus talked about that, as you know.

Luke 16

The Rich Man and Lazarus

19*“There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. 20*At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores 21*and longing to eat what fell from the rich man’s table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.
22*“The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23*In Hades, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24*So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.’
25*“But Abraham replied, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26*And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been set in place, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.’
27*“He answered, ‘Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my family, 28*for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.’
29*“Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.’
30*“‘No, father Abraham,’ he said, ‘but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’
31*“He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’”

The time to do that is now, before it is too late.
That's got nothing to do with the eternal hell you believe in anymore than the word perish means you perish in eternal hell. Do you also believe that this false god you have put your hope in will blot out the memory of your loved ones and friends who end up in there ?.

You believe what you do about the parable because that is what you have been indoctrinated to believe.

https://bible-truths.com/lazarus.html

Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 08:06 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
That's got nothing to do with the eternal hell you believe in anymore than the word perish means you perish in eternal hell. Do you also believe that this false god you have put your hope in will blot out the memory of your loved ones and friends who end up in there ?.

You believe what you do about the parable because that is what you have been indoctrinated to believe.

Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he.
I will read your link when I have some time later and get back to you. Thx.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:29 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
If you believe in literal everlasting life after you die, then what do you plan to do for the first trillion-trillion-trillion years?
As the song says,

"When we've been there ten thousand years
Bright shining as the sun
We've no less days to sing God's praise
Then when we first begun."

I believe that without sin to get in the way, and being in the all-consuming presence of God, we will not grow bored even in a trillion cubed years.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:

Actually, that story of Lazarus really DOES have a lot to say about hell. It's clear in the passage to anyone that is willing to see it.

Be careful though, in your application of one use of the English word "perish" to all instances of the word in the English Bible. That's an incorrect hermeneutic. It's called the "illegitimate totality transfer". You can't take one translated meaning and apply it to every instance. It's just not correct.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:46 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
As the song says,

I believe that without sin to get in the way, and being in the all-consuming presence of God, we will not grow bored even in a trillion cubed years.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:07 AM

3,536 posts, read 1,709,120 times
In the eternal state - I hope it is filled with unblemished scenes of nature like we have here on earth, but without the death and sorrow. And beautiful music.

I hope there is nothing remotely worldly there. I think it will be a state in which people are not using there imaginations to think up ways to bring glory to themselves the way we do in this world.

It's almost hard for me to imagine what an existence with no death, suffering or sorrow would be like. But I welcome it. I don't find the concept of just BEING in a glorious state boring.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
As the song says,

I think you are going to be surprised .

Old 01-17-2017, 09:13 AM

3,536 posts, read 1,709,120 times
I believe the parable about Lazarus and the Rich man may be about Jews and Gentiles at the time Jesus was speaking.

It is misguided IMO to use that parable to teach a doctrine of eternal torment.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Actually, that story of Lazarus really DOES have a lot to say about hell. It's clear in the passage to anyone that is willing to see it.

Be careful though, in your application of one use of the English word "perish" to all instances of the word in the English Bible. That's an incorrect hermeneutic. It's called the "illegitimate totality transfer". You can't take one translated meaning and apply it to every instance. It's just not correct.
It's clearly seen by those who live and "think" in the mindset of heaven and hell. Let's take a literal look at. Do you believe that you lovely chosen few singing your praises to God because he randomnly chose you, that you can actually communicate with those in eternal hell like Abraham and the rich Man did in the parable ?.

Let me just say this, believing the crazy things you do you are not storing up treasure in heaven but a life filled with darkness in this life.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
It's clearly seen by those who live and "think" in the mindset of heaven and hell.
Now you sure seem to be promoting the gnostic heresy. Only those like you that don't "think" in the mindset of the world hold to what you call error. Only YOU and others that have special knowledge are able to discern that.

Quote:

Let's take a literal look at.
Do you believe that you lovely chosen few singing your praises to God because he randomnly chose you, that you can actually communicate with those in eternal hell like Abraham and the rich Man did in the parable ?.
Of course not. But the Bible is full of examples of special things happening to people. He also healed people, cast out demons, etc. He even raised Lazarus from the dead. Does that suggest we can all do that or will see it happen? Or is it a special circumstance?
Quote:
Let me just say this, believing the crazy things you do you are not storing up treasure in heaven but a life filled with darkness in this life.
And I would suggest that with the crazy things YOU seem to believe in you're missing out on the most important message of the Bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity