Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2017, 09:17 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Or, perhaps, they could become obedient Christians. Or has the New Covenant also abrogated obedience? What is it about obedience that SO freaks out the modern Christian?

Apparently Jesus (I can't speak for the Apostles) was not aware of any future New Covenant abrogating the Ten Commandments when we consider this scripture:

And as he was setting out on his journey, a man ran up and knelt before him and asked him, “Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?” 18 And Jesus said to him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone. 19 You know the commandments: ‘Do not murder, Do not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Do not defraud, Honor your father and mother (Mark 10:17-22; Matthew 19:16–23; and Luke 18:18–23).'

This sounds remarkably like the Ten Commandments.

Tell me, why is obedience to 'Sunday-keeping' (which the majority of Christians believe IS the Sabbath) seen as being 'okay' while obedience to actual 'Sabbath-keeping' is seen as being 'under the law'?

Sorry, but this simply does not compute.

Then you, like many Christians don't know what the New Covenant is about. Try one more time to understand what Paul was talking about in comparing them, for instance in Ephesians 2: 13But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far away have been brought near by the blood of Christ.
14For he himself is our peace, who has made the two groups one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility, 15by setting aside in his flesh the law with its commands and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new humanity out of the two, thus making peace, 16and in one body to reconcile both of them to God through the cross, by which he put to death their hostility. 17He came and preached peace to you who were far away and peace to those who were near. 18For through him we both have access to the Father by one Spirit.

Try to understand that the person who came to Him was looking for justification UNDER the Law and only lacked one thing: the commitment to love that is the BASIS for the New Covenant. That person didn't understand it either.

Old 02-03-2017, 03:36 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Then you, like many Christians don't know what the New Covenant is about. Try one more time to understand what Paul was talking about in comparing them, for instance in Ephesians 2: 13But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far away have been brought near by the blood of Christ.
14For he himself is our peace, who has made the two groups one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility, 15by setting aside in his flesh the law with its commands and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new humanity out of the two, thus making peace, 16and in one body to reconcile both of them to God through the cross, by which he put to death their hostility. 17He came and preached peace to you who were far away and peace to those who were near. 18For through him we both have access to the Father by one Spirit.

Try to understand that the person who came to Him was looking for justification UNDER the Law and only lacked one thing: the commitment to love that is the BASIS for the New Covenant. That person didn't understand it either.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:26 PM

6,790 posts, read 2,897,870 times
Quote:

I keep forgetting that Paul has become the new and improved 'Jesus Christ' to most mainstream Christians. It's pointless to make an argument with those that have this mindset.

Old 02-04-2017, 12:41 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
I don't think it is the basis of the New Covenant...

Yirmiyahu - Jeremiah - Chapter 31

30 Behold, days are coming, says the Lord, and I will form a covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah, a new covenant.

31 Not like the covenant that I formed with their forefathers on the day I took them by the hand to take them out of the land of Egypt, that they broke My covenant, although I was a lord over them, says the Lord.

32 For this is the covenant that I will form with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will place My law in their midst and I will inscribe it upon their hearts, and I will be their God and they shall be My people.

33 And no longer shall one teach his neighbor or [shall] one [teach] his brother, saying, "Know the Lord," for they shall all know Me from their smallest to their greatest, says the Lord, for I will forgive their iniquity and their sin I will no longer remember.

Sound familiar?...

Old 02-04-2017, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I don't think it is the basis of the New Covenant...

Yirmiyahu - Jeremiah - Chapter 31

30 Behold, days are coming, says the Lord, and I will form a covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah, a new covenant.

31 Not like the covenant that I formed with their forefathers on the day I took them by the hand to take them out of the land of Egypt, that they broke My covenant, although I was a lord over them, says the Lord.

32 For this is the covenant that I will form with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will place My law in their midst and I will inscribe it upon their hearts, and I will be their God and they shall be My people.

33 And no longer shall one teach his neighbor or [shall] one [teach] his brother, saying, "Know the Lord," for they shall all know Me from their smallest to their greatest, says the Lord, for I will forgive their iniquity and their sin I will no longer remember.

Sound familiar?...
Yes, indeed. You seem to be under the impression that the New Covenant that was made with Israel remained exclusive to them. No good reason for that, God is not the God of special snowflakes, but of everyone. Such ideas as yours have led to some serious atrocities in both directions (those that hld them hurting others and others hurting those who hold them....it's just not healthy)

Old 02-04-2017, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
I keep forgetting that Paul has become the new and improved 'Jesus Christ' to most mainstream Christians. It's pointless to make an argument with those that have this mindset.
Not when you can't seem to give up your fallacy that Paul's teaching contradicts Jesus because of your own prejudices. no.

Old 02-04-2017, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Yes, indeed. You seem to be under the impression that the New Covenant that was made with Israel remained exclusive to them. No good reason for that, God is not the God of special snowflakes, but of everyone. Such ideas as yours have led to some serious atrocities in both directions (those that hld them hurting others and others hurting those who hold them....it's just not healthy)
Where are the Gentiles mentioned in there?...[I am not under any impressions, I just read and comprehend.]

[Oh, and it seems that I struck a nerve since you got sarcastic with the words "special snowflakes"...

Old 02-04-2017, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Not when you can't seem to give up your fallacy that Paul's teaching contradicts Jesus because of your own prejudices. no.
However, they do...

Old 02-04-2017, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Where are the Gentiles mentioned in there?...[I am not under any impressions, I just read and comprehend.]

[Oh, and it seems that I struck a nerve since you got sarcastic with the words "special snowflakes"...
"Special snowflakes" is a reference to anyone who thinks they have an exclusive place in God's love. It's just an unhealthy attitude.

As for any particular reference to "gentiles," do you see anything that limits any covenant to those named, or is it reasonable that a universal God has favorites by reason of descent?

Old 02-04-2017, 01:23 AM

Quote:
"Special snowflakes" is a reference to anyone who thinks they have an exclusive place in God's love. It's just an unhealthy attitude.

As for any particular reference to "gentiles," do you see anything that limits any covenant to those named, or is it reasonable that a universal God has favorites by reason of descent?
It says the Houses of Israel and Judah...You can't get around that...Unless you state that those are not truly the words of G-d...Judaism is a Middle eastern religion, always has and always will be...Christianity just co-opted and edited it for their own uses...It seems to be doing very good, 40,000 + different denominations, while we have a mere four...Well, their not really denominations, per say, more like levels of observance...

G-d chose the Jews to be a light unto the Gentiles, get over it and find out how to join that light instead of saying, "no, I don't wanna do it that way, I wanna do it my way!"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity