Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 08:34 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Did the pope say "stranger"? Or did he try to get political and talk about refugees?
Seems sort of like "neighbor" in the "Good Samaritan" parable to me.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:35 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
i believe the intent was people...

Old 02-06-2017, 08:37 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I have no problem with helping the needy. I don't much appreciate the pope trying to get political and placing requirements on the salvation of others according to the number of refugees they care for.

Yes--we are to help those that need help. Yes, I agree that a person that claims the name of Christ ought to be doing that. Yes, I believe that if you say one thing and do the opposite, chances are you are not what you claim to be. So the Christian that acts like the world probably isn't too serious about their faith.

But I do believe this particular instance, the pope has no business commenting on the syrian refugee crisis. It's weird how liberals freak out every time a pastor mentions a political issue, but they love to get behind one that agrees with their politics.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:40 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,663 times
Perhaps the Pope would like to adopt some muslim refugees, or even go fight for their rights in Iraq! I suspect if he truly had to "prove " his love for them, he would NOT have the courage of his convictions. It probably sounds awful to criticize The Pope, but he is just another person, and God has no respect of persons.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Perhaps the Pope would like to adopt some muslim refugees, or even go fight for their rights in Iraq! I suspect if he truly had to "prove " his love for them, he would NOT have the courage of his convictions. It probably sounds awful to criticize The Pope, but he is just another person, and God has no respect of persons.
despite what others may or may not do, that does dot relieve another of their responsibility--if they are able, and refuse, that will be point of discussion between them and their god..

Old 02-06-2017, 09:14 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,977 times
Quote:
I have no problem with helping the needy. I don't much appreciate the pope trying to get political and placing requirements on the salvation of others according to the number of refugees they care for.

Yes--we are to help those that need help. Yes, I agree that a person that claims the name of Christ ought to be doing that. Yes, I believe that if you say one thing and do the opposite, chances are you are not what you claim to be. So the Christian that acts like the world probably isn't too serious about their faith.

But I do believe this particular instance, the pope has no business commenting on the syrian refugee crisis. It's weird how liberals freak out every time a pastor mentions a political issue, but they love to get behind one that agrees with their politics.
Refugees are a matter of humanity, not politics. A sick child seeking medical care in this country is not a political issue.

Too bad alleged Christian men including pastors do not understand this.

You cannot reject refugees and call yourself Christian. This is a matter of faith.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:

But is is all good when evangelicals go political right?

Old 02-06-2017, 11:18 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:

So, the application of Christian principles to particular political situations is improper? Well, no, but it DOES bring up the question of whether such political commentary should disqualify the particular person or organization from tax-exempt status. I'd say to revoke the tax exempt status of the Pope and the Vatican if the situation is clearly directed at a particular party or candidate for office.

I don't think it is.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:34 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
It's weird how liberals freak out every time a pastor mentions a political issue, but they love to get behind one that agrees with their politics.
Not true. As a liberal I have never - ever - freaked out when I've heard pastors speak about political issure. Nor have I freaked out when I've heard Franklin Graham state political beliefs I don't agree with. No freak out. I roll my eyes and think, "Billy would have a fit if he knew Franklin spouts this stuff instead of preaching the gospel."

Old 02-06-2017, 11:34 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
But is is all good when evangelicals go political right?
Technically, I don't believe the Constitution prohibits a pastor from commenting on a political issue. I don't see it as valuable to address issues from the pulpit...I think it gets in the way of ministry. But it is not unconstitutional. Having said that, I usually see the left only howl about it when a conservative does it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity