Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2017, 04:16 PM

1,100 posts, read 795,784 times

Advertisements

1 Timothy 1:16 Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.17 Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen.

I would like to address the use of the term invisible in how it is used here in this verse as applied to Jesus.

We know that Jesus came in the flesh and resurrected in a glorious body and ascended to Heaven so the use of the term "invisible" as applied to Jesus means "not presently seen." Knowing this is how we read the other verses.

Colossians 1:14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

So invisible has been applied to God the Father as being invisible and thus no image when that is not the case. It simply means God the Father is not presently seen. To derive the notion that He has no image has no basis in scripture, because He has an image too for which the Triune God, the Son, had asked the Father to let "us" make man in "our" image and so when creating man as the One God when teh Father agreed to this request, God created man in His image.

Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Jesus prophesied that a day will be coming when He will not serve as our Mediator that we will soon ask the Father face to face.

John 16:25 These things have I spoken unto you in proverbs: but the time cometh, when I shall no more speak unto you in proverbs, but I shall shew you plainly of the Father.26 At that day ye shall ask in my name: and I say not unto you, that I will pray the Father for you:27 For the Father himself loveth you, because ye have loved me, and have believed that I came out from God.

So what about this reference where God is a Spirit?

John 4:19 The woman saith unto him, Sir, I perceive that thou art a prophet.20 Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and ye say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship.21 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father.22 Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

In context, the woman at the well was asking Jesus where to go to worship the Father. Jesus was telling her that a time will come when the Father will not be confined by a building or a place on earth. That is the only reason why Jesus said God is a Spirit as that time is now under the New Covenant where the bodies of believers are the temples of the Holy Spirit where they can worship Him any where they please.

1 Corinthians 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.24 He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.25 These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you.26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

So Jesus Christ, the Father, and the Holy Spirit dwells within us as God is with us always no matter where we go, but the Bridegroom will be coming soon for the abiding bride of Christ as they will be taken to the Marriage Supper and it is in Heaven, they will see the Father face to face, and it will be the same for all believers eventually when everything is done and over with when Christ Jesus gives back the kingdom of heaven to the Father.

So invisible, as it used in the verses as lining up with other truths in scriptures means "presently not seen".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 03:12 AM

9,687 posts, read 10,006,521 times
Jesus Christ does make visits to His selected ministers , were they can see Him in full view and talk and hear what He is bringing for His Works for His purposes , so Jesus may be invisible where He can bring Himself in a profound view with substance ............... Just like Heaven is , will be spirit with substance ................. I heard of four ministers of Christ who have visits with Jesus , so there must been more as Jesus shows himself to bring a faith where victory is assured , like the disciple Thomas said ``Except I will see in his hand the print of the nails , and put my finger into the print of the nails and thrust my hand into his side I will not believe ``.....John 20:24..........See there are many who will not believe because of the logic of their senses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity