Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 01:26 PM

692 posts, read 375,453 times

Advertisements

There would seem to be some religious dispute about these three entities.

In fact, this question involves some dispute as to the existence of a Trinity.

Question: Is Jesus thought to be God, the son of God, or a created angel?

Please provide a citation to support your response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 05:16 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
In John 10:30 Jesus said ..``I and the Father are one ``................Then in Luke 2:14 a multitude of Heavenly host of angels praising God ...``Glory to God in the highest , and on earth peace , goodwill toward men ``............ See the Holy angels and their love for God giving God the glory , as their rank in Heaven is not equal to God in the highest ... where Jesus proclaims He and the Father are one........ like the JW got it wrong Jesus is not an angel , and even saved believers sit together with Jesus and will be one with Father God

Old 02-24-2017, 05:27 PM

370 posts, read 1,564,762 times
Hmm, must be a slow day (or a busy day): I don't want to join in the dispute but I believe He could be all three. Lots of scriptures where "a voice" declares-This is my Beloved Son in whom I am well pleased". Clearly he is someone's Son. Was God always a God or was he something else before (maybe a Son or a God in training!!??) Surely God didn't point to himself and say "this is my Beloved Son" so, I definitely think that the Trinity could exist. A created angel??? Hmm, that would seem to be harder to reconcile but would depend on your definition of an Angel. Would you consider they are they spirits without mortal bodies. Nope, my last thoughts on the subject.....

Old 02-26-2017, 12:00 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,149,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristotles child View Post

I'm a JW

Jesus is the Son of God:

"And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, the Beloved, with whom I am well pleased.”-Matthew 3:17

Jesus says of himself:

"The Father is Greater than I."-John 14:28

" Jesus said to her, “Do not hold on to me, because I have not yet ascended to the Father. But go to my brothers and say to them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God."-John 20:17

If Jesus were the equal of God why did he not know the following?

"But about that day and hour no one knows, neither the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father"-Matthew 24:36

That being said it doesn't lessen the importance of the Christ. Christians believe Jesus is the way to salvation. However, we should also recognize that it was the Almighty God that loved the world so much that he gave us his only begotten Son as stated in John 3:16

Old 02-26-2017, 06:36 AM

1,146 posts, read 648,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristotles child View Post

Christian theology is very confused on this point, mostly because they've denied their Jewish roots. Few Christians can explain the trinity in twenthy-five words or less. Here's my two cents.

Shema Yisrael Adonai Eloheinu
Adonai Echad

The above is the ancient statement of faith of the Hebrew people. It's expressed at the beginning of most Jewish religious services and observances. It is composed of six Hebrew words only, but their meaning is much more. The translation into English is:

Hear O Israel, the Lord Our God;
The Lord is One.

The spiritual meaning of this is Oneness in unity, not in number. The explanation of this can be considered in the comparison of two Hebrew words which have similar meaning. The words are;

echad
yachid

Both these words mean one. Yachid means an absolute one. I have one car, one wife and one dog. I have one dollar in my wallet because payday was weeks ago. Notice that yachid is not used in the shema prayer. Echad is used instead.

Echad means a unity of several parts into one entity. The United States is a unity of separate political state entities into one country - into an echad country. America is one from many - e pluribus unum in Latin and echad in Hebrew.

Therefore in six words, the shema prayer explains the unity of Adonai, of God. Father Son and Holy Spirit (Adonai, Yeshuah and Ruach Hakodesh) are united as One. They are of One mind, One purpose and One eternal being.

Jesus IS GOD. If He were not, then His sacrifice upon the cross would have no meaning. In scripture He is called Lord. Among His disciples, the people who knew Him, He was called Lord and God. He was conceived as no man in history. He lived an exemplary flawless life as no man has ever done. He died for the sins of man, which no other man could ever do and He rose from the dead. No human can do these things. Jesus/Yeshuah IS God.

and that's me, hollering from the choir loft...

Last edited by mensaguy; 03-01-2017 at 08:49 AM.. Reason: Don't use red text in your posts.

Old 02-26-2017, 01:12 PM

370 posts, read 1,564,762 times
So, he was his own father?

Old 02-26-2017, 04:03 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,728,570 times
the minorah of the Feasts of Dedication is a good example of the father .. the menorah is one unit , but you are to light it with one certain candle that lights the others. but they used to share oil and they share all other things in common.
but the fire came from that first Fire/ father candle .
the Father as in the fire starter.... but it is still the same menorah with individual parts that may look separate but are not really , they all share a base and they used to share the oil too .

Old 02-27-2017, 08:33 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post
Christian theology is very confused on this point, mostly because they've denied their Jewish roots. Few Christians can explain the trinity in twenthy-five words or less. Here's my two cents.

Shema Yisrael Adonai Eloheinu
Adonai Echad

The above is the ancient statement of faith of the Hebrew people. It's expressed at the beginning of most Jewish religious services and observances. It is composed of six Hebrew words only, but their meaning is much more. The translation into English is:

Hear O Israel, the Lord Our God;
The Lord is One.
Actually, it is "the L-rd is our G-d", where "L-rd" is in place of the Tetragrammaton, the Name of G-d...

So, what it says is, "Listen, Israel! יהןה is our G-d, יהןה is one!...

:שְׁמַע יִשְׂרָאֵל יהוה אֱלֹהֵינוּ יהוה אֶחָד‎

Old 02-27-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
The spiritual meaning of this is Oneness in unity, not in number. The explanation of this can be considered in the comparison of two Hebrew words which have similar meaning. The words are;

echad
yachid

Both these words mean one. Yachid means an absolute one. I have one car, one wife and one dog. I have one dollar in my wallet because payday was weeks ago. Notice that yachid is not used in the shema prayer. Echad is used instead.

Echad means a unity of several parts into one entity. The United States is a unity of separate political state entities into one country - into an echad country. America is one from many - e pluribus unum in Latin and echad in Hebrew.].

אֶחָד, - one ; single ; unique ; first, former ; someone, somebody (ECHAD)

יחיד, - alone, one, only (YICHAD)

So, you are wrong...It means "ONE"...Period...Good grief!...Stop!...

Choir Loft > Oh!...Look guys!...I've figured out something that all those intelligent Sages of times past hadn't...Gimme a cookie and rub my belly!...

Old 02-27-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
He died for the sins of man, which no other man could ever do and He rose from the dead. No human can do these things. Jesus/Yeshuah IS God.
But, yet he said that no one may dies for the sins of another...

It says that G-d rose him from the dead...

No, he is not G-d...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity