Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2018, 12:31 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101c View Post
To all who follow this thread. instead of pointing out difference between our respective doctrine, maybe the approach should be gain on the similarities of each doctrine.

for example, the Diversified Oneness and the Trinity Doctrine is closer that most think. if it ok, let look at some of the similarities between the two.

#1. we both know that it is one God, who is spirit. for God is "a" Spirit, (John 24:4a). this is his nature. now the sticking point is "Person(s)". How can we resolve the person(s) problem?

Suggestion. let's look at what the bible says about God. the question is definitely about plurality, but the million dollar question how much plurality are there in the Godhead?, two or three, or ONE. let's concentrate on the plurality of the Spirit/God and maybe we can resolve the Person problem.

the first signs in the bible of God's plurality is right in the very first verse of the bible. Genesis 1:1. "1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth". but there's something missing in our English Speaking bibles. if one would go to the Hebrew Interlinear Bible (OT) at, Online Hebrew Interlinear Bible and click on Genesis 1:1, in the first verse one would see these two letters, אֵ ת
yes, letters and not a word, which was never translated in our English speaking bibles, until now. these two letters are the Pictograph aleph and the Tav. in English it is translated as the First and the Last. and in Greek the alpha and the omega. or simply put the beginning, and the end.

Let's start there for our discussion. by examining God from the beginning we can gain some insight on his plurality.

PCY
PCY
God is the first and the last. Gotcha. Jesus claimed that same title in Revelation 1.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:32 PM

16,663 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
It was defined as an essential of the faith some 1800 years ago.
That's fine for you. Not everyone agrees with that.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:34 PM

3,671 posts, read 2,242,854 times
The First and the Last.

We know that the First and the Last indicate at least two. But where do the third person come in at? To see that lets establish the First and the Last.

#1. Isaiah 44:6 "Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God”.
Notice the conjunction “and” between first and last. The LORD all caps is the first “and” the LORD all caps is the last. How can this be of one PERSON?.

#2. Isaiah 41:4 "Who hath wrought and done it, calling the generations from the beginning? I the LORD, the first, and with the last; I am he”.
The word “with” here sends my mind straight to John 1:1 where “with” is used to tell us that the word is GOD. but also take note, it says that the First is "WITH" , hence indicating two. I agree totally.

#3. Isaiah 48:12 "Hearken unto me, O Jacob and Israel, my called; I am he; I am the first, I also am the last”.
This verse takes the cake. God said “I” am the first and “also the “Last”. here the same person who is the first is “also” the last. How can one person be “First” Aleph/Alpha and be “Last” Tav/omega at the same time.

This should get us off to a good start, or if someone have a different route to take, fell free to do so.

PCY

Old 01-12-2018, 01:36 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,914,670 times
Quote:

Do you mean by the religion that came out of Rome, that bow to graven images that fill their homes and churches?--Kiss their little metal icons-- Killed The members of their own religion for men like Adolf Hitler--Do you really know Jesus? Putting ones faith into those is a serious mistake.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:38 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Yeah, but what really matters is how it was defined 200 years further back.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:41 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,914,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
No they don't. Paul clearly states in Philippians 3:5-8 that Jesus existed in the form of God and became man. And there several recorded instances in the New Testament where Jesus claims to be God.

By the way, there was within Judaism a belief among some Jews up until the second century AD when it was declared a heresy, of a 'two powers in heavens' theology based upon some of the scriptures in the Hebrew Bible such as Genesis 19:24 which speaks of YHVH raining down brimstone and fire from YHVH out of heaven.
Genesis 19:24 Then the LORD (YHVH) rained on Sodom and Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the LORD (YHVH) out of heaven,
While the Hebrew Bible, the Old Testament, doesn't provide a clear Trinitarian picture, it does paint a binitarian (two powers in heaven) picture. Genesis 19:24 is just one such verse.

Here. listen to Old Testament scholar Michael Heiser as he talks about the two powers in heaven belief that existed in Judaism. I suspect however that you won't since you're not allowed to question what your JW teachers have taught you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sMQa78fY3Y

Your translation is the works of Catholicism. The only translating that remained by the time anyone else translated, no originals were left--No one was allowed to read the bible for nearly 1000 years after the councils were held--Those surely did not have Jesus. Yet every Trinitarian puts their eternal lives into that translating.
I don't need to listen to him. I have studied much for 50 years--Facts and the teachings of Jesus prove 100% the JW teachers are correct. Jesus warned you--John 15:20-21

Old 01-12-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Yeah, but what really matters is how it was defined 200 years further back.
It has been explained in detail earlier in this thread about how the Trinity came to be defined by the apostles 200 years before that council. It's not unclear.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
Your translation is the works of Catholicism. The only translating that remained by the time anyone else translated, no originals were left--No one was allowed to read the bible for nearly 1000 years after the councils were held--Those surely did not have Jesus. Yet every Trinitarian puts their eternal lives into that translating.
I don't need to listen to him. I have studied much for 50 years--Facts and the teachings of Jesus prove 100% the JW teachers are correct. Jesus warned you--John 15:20-21
Have you ever seen a debate between a JW teacher and a really good apologist like James White? I'd love to see that. I'm guessing he'd mop the floor with any one of your teachers.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:33 PM

3,671 posts, read 2,242,854 times
to all, if you don't mind, let's stay on the topic only. leave the Roman catholic church, the JW or an scholar out of this discussion, and let's just stick with the scriptures only. let's keep the conversation civil, please.

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:45 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
You really don't know what you are talking about Kjw47. Manuscript P66 (Papyrus 66) is dated by most New Testament textual scholars to the late 2nd century or early 3rd century AD. Textual scholar Dan Wallace puts the date at around AD 175. P66 predates any of the church councils and the rise of Roman Catholicism. And John 1:1 says the same thing as later Greek New Testament manuscript copies containing the gospel of John.

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Before the church councils, before Constantine, before the rise of Roman Catholicism, John 1:1 stated that the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

I think that what you are really saying is that you refuse to listen to Heiser's lecture on 'two powers in heaven' which again was a belief held by some within Judaism long prior to the beginning of Christianity. I suspect that the only thing you have ever studied is what the Jehovah's Witnesses have allowed you to study. You do in my opinion come across as having been seriously brainwashed by the organization you belong to.

Last edited by Michael Way; 01-12-2018 at 02:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity